CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   Z06 Flipping (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4789488-z06-flipping.html)

alekscpi 12-08-2023 04:48 PM

Z06 Flipping

I'm looking to buy a C8 Z06 that is being "flipped" before that 6month window Chevy made the original owner sign. He claims not to have intended to flip and isn't really price gouging so I'm believing his story but that isn't important for this question.

How is Chevy finding out that a sale took place in the 6 month window? Are they requesting info for every VIN sold from the registered State at 6months? Is it a manual process, if so what is triggering them to look at a specific car/buyer? Is it an automated process? Anyone have actual facts other than guesses? Anyone buy a "flipped" car and it was flagged and lost warranty?

RFS-Z06 12-08-2023 04:52 PM

I would assume the first buyers info is entered into the computer system and anytime that VIN #’d car comes in They will know.

1 STING 12-08-2023 04:59 PM

One item which is constant and factual on Carfax are dates when vehicles exchange hands. A GM service department can also do a search on the vin #'s history events.

George

alekscpi 12-08-2023 04:59 PM

Doesn't make sense - anyone can bring car in for service doesn't need to be owner.

Originally Posted by RFS-Z06 (Post 1607315509)
I would assume the first buyers info is entered into the computer system and anytime that VIN #’d car comes in They will know.

alekscpi 12-08-2023 05:02 PM

Service dept has more incentive to do warranty work and not looking vehicle carfax to then possible lose the work since customer with no warranty might take car elsewhere. Also seems very manual and super easy to work around if that is how Chevy plans to void warranty.

Originally Posted by 1 STING (Post 1607315530)
One item which is constant and factual on Carfax are dates when vehicles exchange hands. A GM service department can do a search on the vin #'s history events.

23/C8Z 12-08-2023 05:07 PM

You'd have to pay cash for it and not register the car until the 6mos is up. So you'd own it but not that anyone would know.

I don't know of another way to do it.

So if this guy owes money on the car there's going to be a record of it somewhere gm could potentially find it.

It's not worth it imho friend.

6mos old Z06s are out there and im sure plenty in a spec close to or exactly what you want.

alekscpi 12-08-2023 05:11 PM

I figured worst case we would make the sale and he pays off his loan hands me title and car and then its on me to register it or not. No way Chevy knows anything until i register it but again my question is how will they know i registered it. Are they monthly going through every z06 younger than 6 months and pulling carfax report, or state record? If so, who at Chevy is doing that a Corp team, selling dealer etc?

BearZ06 12-08-2023 05:12 PM

Figure out a way to delay the purchase, no warranty could become a very regrettable situation. Don't count on GM not knowing or not finding out.

23/C8Z 12-08-2023 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315554)
I figured worst case we would make the sale and he pays off his loan hands me title and car and then its on me to register it or not. No way Chevy knows anything until i register it but again my question is how will they know i registered it. Are they monthly going through every z06 younger than 6 months and pulling carfax report, or state record? If so, who at Chevy is doing that a Corp team, selling dealer etc?

what my salesman told me is at the 6mos mark they are checking through vin to see if original owner still has the car. Then awarding the 500k in points for 23 owners.

I guess for 24 without the points they are doing same process? Or when you go to get warranty work maybe they're asking when you purchased the car and going off the honor system?

Ask a chevy dealer near you.

It's pretty risky.

1 STING 12-08-2023 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315538)
Service dept has more incentive to do warranty work and not looking vehicle carfax to then possible lose the work since customer with no warranty might take car elsewhere. Also seems very manual and super easy to work around if that is how Chevy plans to void warranty.

If GM receives a claim for warranty on a Z06 isn't there a possibility it would check on the validity of the warranty? What would happen if the dealer does work and the warranty has been void?

As a buyer it would be to his benefit to ponder all possibilities.

alekscpi 12-08-2023 05:48 PM

All might be valid points but I’m stilling trying to understand what system records and timeframe goes GM check this stuff if they do at all

Originally Posted by 1 STING (Post 1607315603)
If GM receives a claim for warranty on a Z06 isn't there a possibility it would check on the validity of the warranty? What would happen if the dealer does work and the warranty has been void?

As a buyer it would be to his benefit to ponder all possibilities.

JerryU 12-08-2023 05:59 PM

The police know who owns a car by the licensee plate. Now if you don't register it until the 6 months are up you won't be driving it so no warranty need. I would not buy a car, especially a Z06 without assurance it's covered.

There is a central data base GM probably has access. Heck when looking up my car value before I sold it, either have to enter my VIN OR License Plate #! That data base is known by Kelly Blue Book, Black Book etc. GM doesn't have to keep track the States do it for them!

alekscpi 12-08-2023 06:57 PM

So you’re saying the state is sending Chevy notifications on title transfer for Z06 no way that can be accurate.

How did Chevy never come out with their process on enforcing this I’m sure there has been someone whose warranty got yanked and they aren’t at fault. Example going from personal name to then selling it to your business would show title updates on carfax and be recorded as a sale but it’s still same personal owner. how would Chevy distinguish then between? Or imagine a divorce where wife is removed from title or where she gets car in divorce and is not second owner. Makes no sense that it’s automatic pull from carfax. Needs to be something different.

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1607315686)
The police know who owns a car by the licensee plate. Now if you don't register it until the 6 months are up you won't be driving it so no warranty need. I would not buy a car, especially a Z06 without assurance it's covered.

There is a central data base GM probably has access. Heck when looking up my car value before I sold it, either have to enter my VIN OR License Plate #! That data base is known by Kelly Blue Book, Black Book etc. GM doesn't have to keep track the States do it for them!

jagtoes 12-08-2023 07:30 PM

If you want to cheat the system then pay him and let him pay off the loan . He will then get the title back from the loan company . He would have to sign over the title to you but date it forward until after the 6 months. You store the car until the 6 month clear date. Then send in the title and make sure you have a bill of sale from him with the same date . Register the car and put the plates on and drive it. When you service the car the Vin # will show registration and change of title. I would think this would be illegal if you get caught and besides you loss the warranty. The other question is would the previous owner risk lying on the title. Then there might be tax issues. I wouldn't do this as it's not worth the legal ramifications.

NAVY_LDO 12-08-2023 07:44 PM

The seller may also be incentivized to report the sale to DMV, for instance if he is required to turn in or transfers the tags or if he lives in a state that has personal property tax (like VA).

JerryU 12-08-2023 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315822)
So you’re saying the state is sending Chevy notifications on title transfer for Z06 no way that can be accurate.

How foolish. The States don't send anything to Chevy, Kelly Blue Book, Haggarty etc. That all have access to the info no doubt consolidated by a computer program to be sure when you get stopped whatever State you happen to be in they won't get out of their car an approach unless they know who the hell you are!

JerryU 12-08-2023 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by NAVY_LDO (Post 1607315955)
The seller may also be incentivized to report the sale to DMV, for instance if he is required to turn in or transfers the tags or if he lives in a state that has personal property tax (like VA).

Yep, in our case in conservative SC you have 10 days to turn in your plates not being used! The instant you have the insurance stopped on those plates they must be turned in as well.

2007yellow430 12-08-2023 11:04 PM

If I’m Chevy, I’d think twice about voiding the warranty. Once the warranty is gone, if there is trouble, you’ve got common law rights. The term suitable for intended purpose comes to mind. Common law recovery will easily exceed the warranty. Chevy is counting on people not knowing their rights.

Art

alekscpi 12-09-2023 02:22 AM

Has anyone challenged Chevy on losing warranty? Has anyone even been notified their warranty is void because of sale? We have all seen the hundreds of Z06 go for sale with 10miles right after delivery. Can anyone provide first hand experience?

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430 (Post 1607316372)
If I’m Chevy, I’d think twice about voiding the warranty. Once the warranty is gone, if there is trouble, you’ve got common law rights. The term suitable for intended purpose comes to mind. Common law recovery will easily exceed the warranty. Chevy is counting on people not knowing their rights.

Art

ZipZap 12-09-2023 02:35 AM

Good question, sort of. Are you confused about the intent? Would you testify in court to the same?

Your posts seem to reflect that you understand the intent, but disagree with it, and you would possibly lie about the actual acquisition in order to take advantage of a benefit you are not entitled to.

What am I missing?

smithers 12-09-2023 03:04 AM

All the states report vehicle title transfer to a system that is operated by the federal government. It's called NMVTIS. All those vehicle history report websites use this database for at least part of their data. It's entirely plausible that the manufacturers can access it too.

c5goodlife 12-09-2023 05:36 AM

@alekscpi interesting what if analysis/discussion.
It appears you already have a '23 vette so perhaps monitor CF For Sale section, BaT, AutoTrader, Cars.com, eBay, etc. to nab your Z06.
There are more & more out there with fully GM warranty intact so you can fully consummate the sale.
Unless of course, you're getting a screamin' deal (at or below MSRP) on the one you're eyeing right now.
For sure it's your time & money so hope all works out & post some photos of you new beast once you get it.

449er 12-09-2023 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by BearZ06 (Post 1607315558)
Figure out a way to delay the purchase, no warranty could become a very regrettable situation. Don't count on GM not knowing or not finding out.

:iagree: Well stated

JerryU 12-09-2023 06:13 AM

Art

GM has more Lawyer's than you can afford to fight! No "Lawyer For Injured People" dealing with fake whiplash will take that case! If the buyer signs that they will not sell in 6 months have to fight that. GM can bring that up thru the Courts in whatever State- and will! Don't you think they researched it before implementing?

Just like I sign I will not sell my Vettes overseas in the not so fine print in my sales agreement! Have a specific case where it caused a delay in me being able to order a Mercedes! The Mercedes dealer was blocked from ordering cars because a car he sold two days later was on a ship in Charleston SC going to Taiwan!

Take a while to get thru the courts while dealer will not service as they won't be reimbursed!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...90b864d5c8.jpg

QuickSilver20 12-09-2023 07:36 AM

I would imagine GM is not actively checking every Z06 to see if it should void the warranty just like with modifications to a vehicle it doesn’t become a problem until it’s a problem. Only certain major warranty claims need to be cleared by GM. So I’m sure if you bring the car in for something minor like panel adjustment it would be fine. But let’s say your engine or trans blows the dealership cannot authorize the repair unless GM approves so in those cases they may or may not check to see if the car had a warranty violation (no different then they would check to see if the car has been modified as a way to get out of the claim).

JerryU 12-09-2023 07:53 AM

^^^^
GM doesn't have to check anything! The dealer has to put the VIN Number in before doing any warranty service. It shows the Owner. Not sure how BUT if Kelly Blue Book, Autotrader, Black Book indicates you can put in VIN number of a car being checked for value OR the Plate Number assume the State database is readily available. I know the police check the plate number before they get out of a car to give you a ticket etc. (That is what many states say can't have any portion of a plate number or letter including any part of the State Name covered. In SC that gets you a $150 ticket!)

It's the Dealer doing the service that will not get reimbursed so for the Z06 and expect might be an E-Ray where they have to check if the car is less than 6 months old.

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 08:34 AM

The original buyer of the ZO6 signed an agreement understanding the warranty would be voided if the car was sold within 6 months.

Posted here are a bunch of suggested work arounds that may work. However each scenario comes with a level of risk. Risk of voided warranty. DMV Fraud etc.

IMO the only scenario that works is to enter into an agreement to purchase the car at the end of the 6 month period. Give the guy a deposit and he stores the car until the deal is finalized in 6 months.

Lots of people will say go for it, GM will never know etc. GM can’t enforce it and stuff like that.

Do you want to take that chance if you do have a warranty issue and the dealer says sorry the warranty is void? Then what. Get a lawyer and fight General Motors?

Do you feel lucky?

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 08:49 AM

Art

GM voids warranties for multiple reasons every year on a number of different vehicles. As one of the worlds largest companies with their own legal department and staff, one would assume they know more than some internet theory!

Phil1098 12-09-2023 08:52 AM

You're in Illinois and if you sit on a title for months without registering it, there will be a tax penalty also to consider. It's a small window to buy a car and register it.

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 08:54 AM

GM knows every time the vehicle title changes. They have to keep this information in order to track the vehicle for potential recalls. This information is available to them from the State DMV's and is computerized so as to change the ownership within their system. It is really not a mystery or earth shaking and has been going on for decades.

jagtoes 12-09-2023 09:18 AM

There are people who simply turn in their plates and store the car for a year. They take off the insurance and put the car away. No one in the industry knows where the car is and what was done with it. The state and insurance do not track it. So if the title is not signed and submitted for a title change no one knows. So the key is the title. Until it is submitted the original owner still owns the car. If he signs the title and does not date it no one knows when the car was sold/transferred.

2007yellow430 12-09-2023 09:20 AM

You’re wrong. Plenty here would take that case. Especially if it turned into a class action. Whether you realize it or not, generally plaintiff’s lawyers are usually better than defense lawyers, I was a plaintiffs lawyer for 50 years. Now retired.

Art

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430 (Post 1607316916)
You’re wrong. Plenty here would take that case. Especially if it turned into a class action. Whether you realize it or not, generally plaintiff’s lawyers are usually better than defense lawyers, I was a plaintiffs lawyer for 50 years. Now retired.

Art

And how many times did you litigate over a voided warranty and win?

Samuel Clemens 12-09-2023 09:34 AM

You are assuming the seller will be okay with you leaving him as the registered lawful owner of the car. In Missouri I notified the DMV of the car sale when I sold the car and had to report how much I sold it for. The dealers put info in to a database that is reported to Carfax. I’m pretty sure they have access to the database. Hasn’t Ferrari and Lamborghini been doing this for years? I feel like you are going to dig yourself in to a hole with a new iteration of a car that is bound to have new model issues. Let us know how that works out for you. Sam

2007yellow430 12-09-2023 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JALLEN4 (Post 1607316953)
And how many times did you litigate over a voided warranty and win?

not this exact question. But close. Early in my career. Express warranty supersedes common law. That’s why it is used. Voiding it, by its very nature resurrected the common law remedies. Many years ago had a case where they claimed the express warranty sup-ceded the common law. Case involved motorcycles.

Art

alekscpi 12-09-2023 09:51 AM

Surprised no one has asked the logistics of how Chevy will monitor and enforce. It’s almost as if someone said sky is green and everyone just took it for green. Very interesting there aren’t many second buyers on here complaining about loosing warranty. It’s almost like Chevy isn’t yanking the warranty and just saying they will.

Originally Posted by c5goodlife (Post 1607316622)
@alekscpi interesting what if analysis/discussion.
It appears you already have a '23 vette so perhaps monitor CF For Sale section, BaT, AutoTrader, Cars.com, eBay, etc. to nab your Z06.
There are more & more out there with fully GM warranty intact so you can fully consummate the sale.
Unless of course, you're getting a screamin' deal (at or below MSRP) on the one you're eyeing right now.
For sure it's your time & money so hope all works out & post some photos of you new beast once you get it.

alekscpi 12-09-2023 09:53 AM

Thanks for answering about zero of my questions above. Gold star for your opinion.

Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens (Post 1607316954)
You are assuming the seller will be okay with you leaving him as the registered lawful owner of the car. In Missouri I notified the DMV of the car sale when I sold the car and had to report how much I sold it for. The dealers put info in to a database that is reported to Carfax. I’m pretty sure they have access to the database. Hasn’t Ferrari and Lamborghini been doing this for years? I feel like you are going to dig yourself in to a hole with a new iteration of a car that is bound to have new model issues. Let us know how that works out for you. Sam

alekscpi 12-09-2023 09:56 AM

It’s automated for every z06 they get notification at 6 months hey this had a title change and at that point Chevy puts it in black list? what about title changing from person to business? Or from husband to wife or to remove two people from title to only one? Those aren’t sales per say and not flipping but would have title update and how would Chevy know the purpose of the change?

Originally Posted by JALLEN4 (Post 1607316845)
GM knows every time the vehicle title changes. They have to keep this information in order to track the vehicle for potential recalls. This information is available to them from the State DMV's and is computerized so as to change the ownership within their system. It is really not a mystery or earth shaking and has been going on for decades.

2007yellow430 12-09-2023 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens (Post 1607316954)

Ferrari has you sign an agreement to resell the car to them if sold within a specified time period. Totally different.

Art

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 10:09 AM

#1 As a buyer I would not buy a car and leave it titled in the seller's name.
#2 As a seller I would not let the buyer keep the car in my name. Liability.
#3 I would not give a seller a substantial deposit and wait 5 or 6 months to complete the purchase
#4 It's not worth the risk of having the warranty voided or having to fight GM about whether the 6 month restriction is legal. Even if you did manage to win It would cost you a ton in lawyer fees and the car would sit for months or years without being repaired.

Bottom line, in reality, is if you care about the warranty play by the rules. If you aren't concerned about the warranty go for it.

alekscpi 12-09-2023 10:16 AM

But why is everyone assuming Chevy voids the warranty. Based on no one complaining on this forum their warranty was voided in starting to think it’s all just talk and the aren’t voiding anyone’s warranty. I’d love if someone could prove me wrong here and I’d love to chat further with said person. Again I’m starting to think they don’t exist.

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1607317053)
#1 As a buyer I would not buy a car and leave it titled in the seller's name.
#2 As a seller I would not let the buyer keep the car in my name. Liability.
#3 I would not give a seller a substantial deposit and wait 5 or 6 months to complete the purchase
#4 It's not worth the risk of having the warranty voided or having to fight GM about whether the 6 month restriction is legal. Even if you did manage to win It would cost you a ton in lawyer fees and the car would sit for months or years without being repaired.

Bottom line, in reality, is if you care about the warranty play by the rules. If you aren't concerned about the warranty go for it.

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607317007)
It’s automated for every z06 they get notification at 6 months hey this had a title change and at that point Chevy puts it in black list? what about title changing from person to business? Or from husband to wife or to remove two people from title to only one? Those aren’t sales per se and not flipping but would have title update and how would Chevy know the purpose of the change?

It would seem you asked the question wanting a certain answer and want to challenge those with a different opinion. As a retired GM dealer of many decades, I know just a little of how the process works.

The process, if GM chooses to exercise it, is simple. The title changes hands and GM can flag the serial number on their system. When the dealer writes up the vehicle in the service drive, this flagged serial number will be detected. Should the dealer make a warranty claim, GM simply turns it down.

If the owner then wants to challenge that it would be their prerogative to contact GM and make an appeal. Should the title change be from husband to wife, individual to single ownership business, or some other explanation, I am sure a conversation would take place.

Whether or not GM is actually taking the step to void a warranty on a Z06, reports on this Forum say they are. Since I neither own one nor presently service any of them...I can't personally attest to it. I can though guarantee, you can rest assured, GM has the capability to know when the car title is changed. I can also guarantee you from dealing with it extensively, it would be a very stupid move to leave the title open for any length of time between two individuals.

alekscpi 12-09-2023 10:29 AM

Fantastic insight and I’m aware they have access but again just curious who is managing it. If it is at the local dealer service dept level that seems you just need to go be friends with service advisor. If GM is serious about this they must manage it at Corp.
overall the agreement seems to be GM pulls or gets info from state system as long as no title adjustments happen car is good. Question still belong who to talk to if car flagged for a non flipper like husband wife or maybe even friend to friend. Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists.

Originally Posted by JALLEN4 (Post 1607317084)
It would seem you asked the question wanting a certain answer and want to challenge those with a different opinion. As a retired GM dealer of many decades, I know just a little of how the process works.

The process, if GM chooses to exercise it, is simple. The title changes hands and GM can flag the serial number on their system. When the dealer writes up the vehicle in the service drive, this flagged serial number will be detected. Should the dealer make a warranty claim, GM simply turns it down.

If the owner then wants to challenge that it would be their prerogative to contact GM and make an appeal. Should the title change be from husband to wife, individual to single ownership business, or some other explanation, I am sure a conversation would take place.

Whether or not GM is actually taking the step to void a warranty on a Z06, reports on this Forum say they are. Since I neither own one nor presently service any of them...I can't personally attest to it. I can though guarantee, you can rest assured, GM has the capability to know when the car title is changed. I can also guarantee you from dealing with it extensively, it would be a very stupid move to leave the title open for any length of time between two individuals.

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607317081)
But why is everyone assuming Chevy voids the warranty. Based on no one complaining on this forum their warranty was voided in starting to think it’s all just talk and the aren’t voiding anyone’s warranty. I’d love if someone could prove me wrong here and I’d love to chat further with said person. Again I’m starting to think they don’t exist.

Most likely because most, if not all, buyers of pre-owned ZO6s have purchased after the 6 month period and the few that bought before 6 months didn't care about the warranty. Maybe because they planned on modding the car etc.

I would not want to be the 1st to try.

rkrupka 12-09-2023 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607317125)
Fantastic insight and I’m aware they have access but again just curious who is managing it. If it is at the local dealer service dept level that seems you just need to go be friends with service advisor. If GM is serious about this they must manage it at Corp.
overall the agreement seems to be GM pulls or gets info from state system as long as no title adjustments happen car is good. Question still belong who to talk to if car flagged for a non flipper like husband wife or maybe even friend to friend. Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists.

"Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists."
Then they would not take delivery if things changed.

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 10:41 AM

You are trying to talk yourself into something in spite of the factual information posted. Intent to flip doesn't matter. Geez if it did everyone would say they never intended to flip it.

To be clear. If you have a warranty claim and take the car to the dealer the dealer submits for warranty reimbursement authorization to corporate before they do the work.

I would also assume GM has given marching orders to the dealer to verify C8 ZO6s meet the warranty restrictions.

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 10:50 AM

GM has 90,800 employees in the U.S. alone. There is no shortage of people to manage the system. Warranty is not managed on a local dealership basis. You do the job according to Policy and Procedure and then you submit to GM through the computer system for payment.

Should the consumer think their vehicle warranty was improperly flagged, you call GM Customer Service whose number is in every owners manual or available from the dealer. That generally is a real treat like very other manufacturer I represented. As far as "intent" my experience would say GM won't care. Having dealt with them for decades on a daily basis, they are not prone to issuing statements they have no intention to enforce.

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 11:20 AM

I do recall the rumor that if someone did fall on hard times because of medical or job loss etc. GM would allow the owner to sell the car back to the dealer and keep the warranty intact. Obviously if this was the case the dealer would be probably be paying less than MSRP and the seller would not recover the taxes and fees paid.

JDSKY 12-09-2023 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607316999)
Thanks for answering about zero of my questions above. Gold star for your opinion.

Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread but you seem to refuse it or just argue it away as if it would not matter. GM has absolutely no need to monitor the warranty status of these cars (or any cars they manufacture) on a daily basis and so I highly doubt that they waste time doing that. What they will do is task someone to spend as much time necessary to decide of the car you are attempting to make a warranty claim on is actually valid. Specifically Z06's that have this 6 month exclusion attached.

As has already been stated multiple times in this thread, you will be perfectly fine purchasing this car that YOU KNOW does not have a valid warranty until you or someone else (in the event you sell it while still in the normal warranty period) tries to make a warranty claim. This is the only time the warranty on any vehicle matters. If you actually care about the warranty (which it seems you do from all of the same questions in this thread) then purchase the car in a manner that leaves no question about it's validity.

cor28vettes 12-09-2023 11:43 AM

Great discussions on this thread w/the point & counterpoint. I almost became a Z flipper myself.

BillytheKidder 12-09-2023 11:54 AM

Is it conceivable that GM has some type of lien placed on the car/title at the time of the original sale, that must be cleared?

70vetteinpieces 12-09-2023 11:54 AM

No one seems to mention time. Let's say you have transmission go out and the car is taken to a dealer for service. They call you we cannot fix this under warranty. so the car sits at the dealership unless you have it towed home. You get a lawyer - 6- months year or more before it's settled? So you won't be enjoying the car for that time - and that's assuming you'll win.......

JerryU 12-09-2023 01:40 PM

^^^^
Yep, as I said in Post #12, if the OP (who is trying everyway he can to justify the purchase,) just buys it and lets it sit unregistered until 6 months are up any warranty issue (assuming the car doesn't have one now) will happen when the car is past the sale block!

JerryU 12-09-2023 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by chevyrules727 (Post 1607317683)
Another perspective.... How long will the car be sitting until the 6 month window is met? Z06 values are going down and while it seems like you have no problem with the current asking price, it would slightly agitate me that I don't have use of the car while it sits until the 6 month window and now the value of the car dropped to where you could have saved even more money during that time or found a car with the warranty intact for the same price. I get that is being speculative, but it would be a consideration for me given market trends.

Good point! I sold my 2020 C8 Z51, MRC a month ago and Kelly Bluebook gave me an estimate of value. Although lower than I was able to sell it for (had on Autotrader for $82,500 where there were a number of comps) they just sent me an unsolicited new estimate value $3000 lower than their 1st! I looked at comps now and some are only $79,000 or less, lower than a month ago.

Frankly with inflation, high auto loan fees and some dealers apparently able to get new cars built quickly, things have changed. Suspect the flipping prices will reduce significantly! GOOD!

Vega$Vette 12-09-2023 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1607317671)
^^^^
Yep, as I said in Post #12, if the OP (who is trying everyway he can to justify the purchase,) just buys it and lets it sit unregistered until 6 months are up any warranty issue (assuming the car doesn't have one now) will happen when the car is past the sale block!

The OP stated there is a Lien on the car.

If the buyer gives the payoff money to the seller and the seller pays it off and gets the title it he could hold off registering and driving it for 6 months. But if the seller is required to notify the DMV of the sale date that's a no go.

As stated before I would not want to keep the car in my name and my insurance with somebody else owning/driving.

And as noted a good deal now may not be so good 6 months from now.

switchlanez 12-09-2023 05:13 PM

Try to find out the latest point in time possible for when you need to get it registered. There's possibly several months of leeway which may put you over the 6 month threshold officially in legal documentation.

Edit: I guess the sale date matters. See if the DMV will let the seller write in a future sale date else negotiate a way for the seller to sell it to you after the 6 months are up.

Ghost 23 12-09-2023 05:20 PM

What would be wrong with a lease having an option to purchase, fixed in time and price?

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 06:19 PM

Do people seriously get involved in some of these hare brained schemes being brought up or is it just pure speculation? You're going to give a total stranger tens of thousands of dollars so he can pay off his Corvette. Then, if he doesn't get run over by a truck in the interval, your just going to trust he will give you that title at the six month mark. In the meantime, who has the insurance and who gets sued when the non-owner runs it into a tree showing his neighbor how fast it is! The answer is both...if anyone has a scratch. Do people really not understand enough to not take those kind of chances? And a lease? Half the people in the business don't understand the actual legalities of that situation!

JCtx 12-09-2023 06:25 PM

Super simple answer. EVERY dealer can see the in-service date and original owner name of any GM vehicle sold in the US. All they have to do to verify if it's original owner, is ask for an ID. But the better question in this case is if somebody flips a Z06 before 6 months, is the entire warranty void, or just the first 6 months? I'd assume they can't legally void it entirely, so probably it resumes after 6 months, meaning new owner only has 2-1/2 years left (or 36K miles), correct?

JALLEN4 12-09-2023 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JCtx (Post 1607318437)
Super simple answer. EVERY dealer can see the in-service date and original owner name of any GM vehicle sold in the US. All they have to do to verify if it's original owner, is ask for an ID. But the better question in this case is if somebody flips a Z06 before 6 months, is the entire warranty void, or just the first 6 months? I'd assume they can't legally void it entirely, so probably it resumes after 6 months, meaning new owner only has 2-1/2 years left (or 36K miles), correct?

No, they can void the entire warranty. Happens more often than you might think for various reasons. I have never seen a warranty voided for a short period of time. That kind of nullifies the whole purpose? They just wait a few weeks to get it fixed?

As far as asking for an ID...I don't care as a dealer who is getting the car worked on. The warranty is on the car until it is not...not the individual.

2007yellow430 12-09-2023 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 70vetteinpieces (Post 1607317356)
No one seems to mention time. Let's say you have transmission go out and the car is taken to a dealer for service. They call you we cannot fix this under warranty. so the car sits at the dealership unless you have it towed home. You get a lawyer - 6- months year or more before it's settled? So you won't be enjoying the car for that time - and that's assuming you'll win.......

that’s why the common law is better than a warranty. It allows you to get paid for that.

Art

Vetteman Jack 12-09-2023 07:44 PM

Moved to C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion.

smithers 12-09-2023 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillytheKidder (Post 1607317353)
Is it conceivable that GM has some type of lien placed on the car/title at the time of the original sale, that must be cleared?

Nah, my Z06's title is sitting on my desk next to me. No liens, bought it maybe 6 weeks ago.

ukester 12-10-2023 05:16 AM

Who needs a warranty on NEW gm car-if you have a problem they will just blame you on why it has a problem.

good-2-be 12-10-2023 10:06 AM

In my opinion the OP is the one trying to sell the car. They are trying too hard to find a way to justify purchase of the car at less than 6 months with a possible voided warranty. Many have given their opinions about voiding the warranty and suggest purchasing pre owned cars that still have the warranty. It sounds to me like they are trying to find a way around the voided warranty to a potential buyer. Otherwise, why not purchase something available with a warranty. I could be completely wrong, but the OP is trying too hard. If you are indeed the one trying to purchase the car, you have two choices. You can purchase the car and take the risk of GM voiding the warranty, don’t purchase it. If you purchase it and you have issues, you will definitely get your answer if GM monitors the situation or not.

Vega$Vette 12-10-2023 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zymphony06 (Post 1607320016)
THIS. Just buy it (take possession of the car and title) and don't file the paperwork/register it until spring/when the 6 months is up.

WorkS only if the seller does not surrender plates and report sale to his state's DMV

's

redzone 12-10-2023 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430 (Post 1607317012)
Ferrari has you sign an agreement to resell the car to them if sold within a specified time period. Totally different.

Art

In what way? Better or worse for the OP? I ask because Ford had a similar clause when you purchased a new Ford GT and John Cena, the wrestler/actor, was sued for breach by Ford when he flipped his vs selling back to Ford. Which he eventually won.

John510 12-10-2023 01:33 PM

Spoke to GM Rewards about this. The reason it takes 45 days to get your points after the 6 months is because they do VIN checks for registration changes, car for sale reports on carfax, and will also check OnStar. While even if the seller may not have an OnStar subscription, they can still track the car. Also, if the seller signs a release of liability then you are screwed. Insurance companies also report vins, names, and locations.

The ONLY way around the warranty is you pay cash, take the title, and wait until the previous buyer has his points on his account before you do anything to the car. Don’t take it for service, don’t smog it, don’t press the OnStar button, don’t call your insurance with the vin, etc. GM isn’t going to just hand out 5000$ without checking.

Again, make sure the buyer has his points in hand to be 100% certain you get your warranty.

2007yellow430 12-10-2023 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1607320311)
In what way? Better or worse for the OP? I ask because Ford had a similar clause when you purchased a new Ford GT and John Cena, the wrestler/actor, was sued for breach by Ford when he flipped his vs selling back to Ford. Which he eventually won.

it’s just different. Totally different way of doing things. Like the C8, those cars were worth more than the sales price. This was Ferraris way out making sure only they made a profit. Worked most of the time. Don’t know the facts of Cena’s case. I’ll research it.

just did. Cena did not win. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...esale-lawsuit/

Art

Wyldfyer 12-10-2023 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607316562)
Has anyone challenged Chevy on losing warranty? Has anyone even been notified their warranty is void because of sale? We have all seen the hundreds of Z06 go for sale with 10miles right after delivery. Can anyone provide first hand experience?

You're thinking about it from the perspective of how Chevy knows when the car was sold. What I think folks are missing is that it's the actual warranty claim that would trigger GM to validate the 6 months. As others have said, I'm sure there's some sort of check to determine who gets the 500,000 points as well.

23/C8Z 12-10-2023 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer (Post 1607321935)
You're thinking about it from the perspective of how Chevy knows when the car was sold. What I think folks are missing is that it's the actual warranty claim that would trigger GM to validate the 6 months. As others have said, I'm sure there's some sort of check to determine who gets the 500,000 points as well.

already explained pages ago. Hence the extra 45 day estimate for the points.

For 24s? Whatever process they're using i assume they'll keep on place as it only gets easier once thon they're vets at it.

Glennm27 12-10-2023 10:48 PM

1) GM knows when the car was originally put into service

2) GM knows the exact date when warranty was transferred to a new owner.

Wyldfyer 12-10-2023 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z (Post 1607321959)
already explained pages ago. Hence the extra 45 day estimate for the points.

For 24s? Whatever process they're using i assume they'll keep on place as it only gets easier once thon they're vets at it.

Yeah I wasn't reading all of that. Just wanted to leave my thoughts.

RedZ4me 12-11-2023 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1607320311)

cena didn’t win, they settled - not a win

JALLEN4 12-11-2023 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zymphony06 (Post 1607322528)
In my state the seller doesn't report anything. I just keep the old plates.

Also, if some state requires something along those lines, very easy for the buyer to ask the seller to hold off on doing so, and even make that part of the contract.

So, if you are the seller, you are OK selling the car and getting paid but the title not being transferred? For as long as that title is not transferred, you are the owner of record. If the new owner runs over someone and kills them, you are legally a party to the litigation as the registered owner. Of course you cancelled the insurance and it will be out of pocket for legal representation.

416vette 12-11-2023 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Zymphony06 (Post 1607322528)
In my state the seller doesn't report anything. I just keep the old plates.

Also, if some state requires something along those lines, very easy for the buyer to ask the seller to hold off on doing so, and even make that part of the contract.

Aren't you a CPA? Should you be promoting and condoning fraud?

CLAVERY 12-11-2023 10:21 AM

I Can tell you this, If the vehicle has been resold before that 6 months expires it DOES show up in GMs VIS. And it CLEARLY states there is a warranty block on it code RV for retention policy violation. We run that when the vehicle arrives. No dealer would attempt warranty work on said vehicle at that point. Just sharing that little tidbit.

416vette 12-11-2023 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zymphony06 (Post 1607322784)
It's not fraud. You can structure a purchase agreement in a way that is 100% legal.

Man, talk about bootlicking for corporations and government. I guess that's what the CCP (Chinese Communist Party)-bought Canadian government has taught its citizens to do...

FTR - I vote conservative....
What you're recommending likely amounts to fraud.... You're supposed to be a certified professional.. But you're openly advocating this on a car forum.. Perhaps you should leave your real name and information here, so that your character can be assessed by fellow professionals.

JALLEN4 12-11-2023 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zymphony06 (Post 1607322762)
If the plates are removed and registration cancelled, I don't see any liability.

Your hypothetical situation doesn't even recognize that it usually takes ~1-7 days for the buyer to title/register a car after a private sale purchase, so it's the same situation there.

Yes, I would be totally ok with this arrangement.

If you are that worried about it, you can put language to your liking in the purchase agreement.

Also, do you think that someone who can afford/buys a $120k+ car is going to drive it on the streets illegally and risk getting it confiscated/impounded? Laughable hypothetical scenario.

It is not "a hypothetical scenario" unfortunately. As a retired GM dealer, I can guarantee you it is a real world problem. So much so, that I paid for insurance yearly for coverage for that eventuality. There is almost always a time period between delivery and actual title transfer. During that time period, as the legal owner of the vehicle, I was subject to potential liability to something that might happen involving the vehicle. Why do you think dealers are so insistent to verify insurance before the vehicle leaves the dealership?

Of course, if stupid people don't want to listen to real world experience, that's great as it keeps my lawyer buddies in country club memberships!

JerryU 12-11-2023 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 416vette (Post 1607322865)
FTR - I vote conservative....
What you're recommending likely amounts to fraud.... You're supposed to be a certified professional.. But you're openly advocating this on a car forum.. Perhaps you should leave your real name and information here, so that your character can be assessed by fellow professionals.

:funnypost: I'm remined of the Joke about a company interviweing to hire a CPA. The manger asked a simple question: How much is 1 + 1. Most, as expected answered 2. He hired the one that said, "How much do you want it to be?"

redzone 12-11-2023 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430 (Post 1607321818)
it’s just different. Totally different way of doing things. Like the C8, those cars were worth more than the sales price. This was Ferraris way out making sure only they made a profit. Worked most of the time. Don’t know the facts of Cena’s case. I’ll research it.

just did. Cena did not win. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...esale-lawsuit/

Art

Thanks for the correction.

buick510 12-19-2023 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315497)
I'm looking to buy a C8 Z06 that is being "flipped" before that 6month window Chevy made the original owner sign. He claims not to have intended to flip and isn't really price gouging so I'm believing his story but that isn't important for this question.

How is Chevy finding out that a sale took place in the 6 month window? Are they requesting info for every VIN sold from the registered State at 6months? Is it a manual process, if so what is triggering them to look at a specific car/buyer? Is it an automated process? Anyone have actual facts other than guesses? Anyone buy a "flipped" car and it was flagged and lost warranty?

I was not asked to sign any such agreement and was not verbally advised of a requirement not to sell before 6 months.

ChopperDan64 12-19-2023 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315538)

You know most dealerships sell their data to CarFax right? Just download the Car Care app from CarFax and take a pic of your license plate and see your service record. These are the days of selling data for profit.

JDSKY 12-19-2023 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by buick510 (Post 1607348445)
I was not asked to sign any such agreement and was not verbally advised of a requirement not to sell before 6 months.

You don't need to have either of these things happen. Just read your warranty.

C8NATE 04-11-2024 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1607316790)
The original buyer of the ZO6 signed an agreement understanding the warranty would be voided if the car was sold within 6 months.

Posted here are a bunch of suggested work arounds that may work. However each scenario comes with a level of risk. Risk of voided warranty. DMV Fraud etc.

IMO the only scenario that works is to enter into an agreement to purchase the car at the end of the 6 month period. Give the guy a deposit and he stores the car until the deal is finalized in 6 months.

Lots of people will say go for it, GM will never know etc. GM can’t enforce it and stuff like that.

Do you want to take that chance if you do have a warranty issue and the dealer says sorry the warranty is void? Then what. Get a lawyer and fight General Motors?

Do you feel lucky?

What if you were never presented the form to sign stating the 6 month no flip rule?
Because I wasn’t presented nor did I sign any documents of the kind when I bought my eray..
Is the policy still enforceable? If so, how? The dealership didn’t even give me a damn warranty manual with my car either! SMH!

Bluehinder 04-11-2024 08:55 PM

I was asked to sign and did.

RBK 04-11-2024 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by alekscpi (Post 1607315651)
All might be valid points but I’m stilling trying to understand what system records and timeframe goes GM check this stuff if they do at all

No one here seems to know but that does mean you are not making a mistake.
Whatever marque say there is a rule, believe they can find out.
Is it worth it to get in an accident or have a problem only to find out you are screwed?
If you are not impatient, you can find a car or if the time with this car is close to approaching, but it, store it, bring it out and register it.

meadowz06 04-12-2024 07:47 AM

Flipping a Z06. Try 20-30k UNDER STICKER! They are everywhere. Dime a dozen.

mtraylor2001 04-12-2024 08:05 AM

Yeah it appears that flipping a Z now has mostly dried up except for maybe some crafty flipper trying to get a vehicle to the uneducated or very desperate person wanting the car. I still see people buying Z's with ADM's only to find out that the car has dropped way below MSRP when they left the lot. Some in shock, that the market is back to normal. Auctions for Z's have cooled as well.
I think that as soon as buyers realize that the Z's production has met demand and has come back down to earth. That the discounts that some are getting for under MSRP will start to become visible as advertisements. The dealers that are still advertising ADM's for them are determined to find what little desperate buyers (not wanting to wait for MSRP or below) there are left. They will start stacking up on lots soon as 100k plus price tag cars are not that easy to move. :lurk:

NakedDave 04-13-2024 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by meadowz06 (Post 1607709863)
Flipping a Z06. Try 20-30k UNDER STICKER! They are everywhere. Dime a dozen.

Can you point me in the direction so I can get another one good sir??

449er 04-13-2024 08:11 AM

:iagree: Tough to find a new C8 ZO6 for 20-30k under MSRP...we are not at that point yet

JDSKY 04-13-2024 08:19 AM

Dealers in this part of the country are lucky to have 1 Stingray sitting on the lot for sale let alone a Z06 so they are still selling for at least MSRP. The only big discounts seem to be at the largest dealers trying to maintain their allocations and maintain their status.

JerryU 04-13-2024 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JDSKY (Post 1607712890)
Dealers in this part of the country are lucky to have 1 Stingray sitting on the lot for sale let alone a Z06 so they are still selling for at least MSRP. The only big discounts seem to be at the largest dealers trying to maintain their allocations and maintain their status.

Those "large dealers" did that prior to the C8 and it was a help to BG avoiding layoffs in winter!

Many dealers "Up North" stopped buying Vettes as winter approached and during winter. They had low or no demand why not! BUT BG builds no Vettes for inventory. So to minimize layoffs they offered dealer incentives to purchase. Special discounts, rebates to sell select slow moving cars in inventory etc.

The big dealers took advantage AND passed on those discounts while building inventory for Spring. I followed Kebeck's published prices since I bought my C6 Z51 from them. For my 2017 Grand Sport recall the had ~100 more NEW Vettes in inventory end February than their normal 100 to 150 in stock ready to buy. I ordered mine as all 7 Vettes, "Made just for me in BG to my specs" at a ~15% discount, same as published prices for that model.

BTW as Spring approached discounts reduced!

meadowz06 04-13-2024 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by NakedDave (Post 1607712849)
Can you point me in the direction so I can get another one good sir??

Look anywhere. I am looking at 3 across the street right now. They are all over every car site in my area, SITTING on dealer lots. The dealer across the street has 9-10 stingrays and 3-4 Z06's that they CANNOT sell.

meadowz06 04-13-2024 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1607712873)
:iagree: Tough to find a new C8 ZO6 for 20-30k under MSRP...we are not at that point yet

Not in the southeast.

plake 04-13-2024 10:49 AM

I can’t find a Z06 HTC that I want at MSRP let alone below. A Florida dealer still wanted $15K over plus a bunch of other ridiculous fees. Torch Red with black or black and red interior if anyone knows of one.

JDSKY 04-13-2024 12:12 PM

I'm still on the list for a Z06 here at MSRP. No call yet. According to some I should be able to get one in the next couple of weeks for thousands off.....

mtraylor2001 04-13-2024 12:52 PM

Yeah you just have to call around and if you find one you want. You have to do the dance to get at MSRP. Some dealers are starting high and hoping people jump on it.

mtraylor2001 04-13-2024 12:54 PM

For instance. This dealer is saying they are taking offers and they typically looking for 50k over. thats what they told me over the phone. Not sure what the song and dance will get you, but i'm sure you can try and let them know MSRP is it and see what they say. They had 2 last year and they are trying to get what they got last year and those days are over.

New 2024 Red Chevrolet Corvette For Sale in San Angelo, TX. (allamericanchevroletsanangelo.com)

Shokosugi 04-13-2024 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by meadowz06 (Post 1607712961)
Look anywhere. I am looking at 3 across the street right now. They are all over every car site in my area, SITTING on dealer lots. The dealer across the street has 9-10 stingrays and 3-4 Z06's that they CANNOT sell.

What dealer?