CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Petroleum distillates in Z5? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/1001448-petroleum-distillates-in-z5.html)

C6at52 01-27-2005 11:15 AM

Petroleum distillates in Z5?

As we all know you are not to use cleaning products, polishes, or waxes containing petoluem distillates on the C6. I noticed that Zaino Z5 caution label states that Z5 contains petroluem distillates. I have a precison red C6 and the dealer put light scratches in paint and thought Z5 would help mask these. I have also that Z5 before Z2 is better on dark colors such as red. Is Z5 safe to use?

Rob4092xx 01-27-2005 11:17 AM

I thought all Zaino products didn't have Pertoleum Distillates and that was the big reason for buying it.

I also thought the C6 Manual says not to use anything that contains Petroleum Distillates.

What gives??

C6at52 01-27-2005 11:19 AM

I have e-mailed zaino.

wwashing 01-27-2005 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
I thought all Zaino products didn't have Pertoleum Distillates and that was the big reason for buying it.

I also thought the C6 Manual says not to use anything that contains Petroleum Distillates.

What gives??

The paint on C6s is not much (if at all) different than that on C5s. Many have been using Zaino on our C5s since Day one (I've been using it on mine for 7 years). Such use has not yielded any issues related to petroleum distillates.

Relax all yee worry warts!

:cheers:

slowtrak 01-27-2005 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wwashing
The paint on C6s is not much (if at all) different than that on C5s. Many have been using Zaino on our C5s since Day one (I've been using it on mine for 7 years). Such use has not yielded any issues related to petroleum distillates.

Relax all yee worry warts!

:cheers:

Does the C5 manual also say not to use PetroDistills ?

erosinski3882 01-27-2005 12:09 PM

Just one more good reason to use N.X.T. :nono:

ein Tier 01-27-2005 12:57 PM

I don't like Z5, personally. My experience is that 3M's Swirl Mark Remover (or Rubbing Compound) does a vastly superior job at actually removing marks, swirls, and scratches than Z5 does at covering them up.

redvetteC6 01-27-2005 02:19 PM

Has anybody used the Z5? If so, reactions/reults? :crazy:

Grzldvt 01-27-2005 03:28 PM

I have used Z-5 on both the C6 and the C5 with pretty good results.
I don't have a bottle of it here at work, but the latest formula of Z-5 is water based, if I recall correctly. The previous formula did have some distillates in it. What color is the Z-5? The newest formula is a banana color versus a peachish/orange color.

Boozman 01-27-2005 03:36 PM

I have put 4 coats of z5 and z2 on my black c6 no problems

TRAIL BOSS 01-27-2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by C6at52
I have e-mailed zaino.

Enquiring minds want to know, any reply yet?
:rolleyes:

C6at52 01-27-2005 04:44 PM

Not heard back from zaino yet

Noochfxdl 01-27-2005 04:45 PM

By the way NXT has distillates also per a call to them - number on the box, so they all have it so what can we do, I haveve both the NXT and am currently with the Zaino until it runs out then will have to decide on the local acquired or the shipping extra charge, as I think they both do a great job.

ZaneO 01-27-2005 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by erosinski3882
Just one more good reason to use N.X.T. :nono:

Haha...you are clearly very educated about car care products :rolleyes:

Almost every single protection product contains some form of a petroleum distillate. GM is covering themselves from people using things like kerosene (a concentrated PD) on their finishes. NXT contains a much higher amount of PDs than some other products.

Z2 and Z5 are PERFECTLY safe to use on your C6. C6 paint has nothing special to differentiate it from other paint.

ZaneO 01-27-2005 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ein Tier
I don't like Z5, personally. My experience is that 3M's Swirl Mark Remover (or Rubbing Compound) does a vastly superior job at actually removing marks, swirls, and scratches than Z5 does at covering them up.

That's because they are two entirely different products for two different purposes. One is abrasive, one isn't. One protects paint for long periods of time, one doesn't.

C6at52 01-27-2005 08:55 PM

Reply from Zaino

This is a message from Zaino Bros (Sal) at Corvette Forum ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php ). The Corvette Forum owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Zaino Bros (Sal), you can use this online form:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/send...mber&userid=58

OR, by email:
mailto:sal@zainobros.com

This is the message:

Every polish/wax product in the industry contains petroleum distillates,
regardless of what they claim. Wax/polish cannot be made without it....

Zaino contains a minute amount of an emulsifier that falls in the
petroleum distillate family. Zaino is also VOC compliant for 2005...
Zaino is not a petroleum based product. Zaino does not use petroleum to
enhance shine. Those are the ones that can be harmful to your paint finish....

Zaino is perfectly safe for all paint systems including the new C6..

Thanks,
Sal Zaino

TOGWT 01-28-2005 11:29 AM

As ZaneO has said there are both good and bad PD-

a) Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, Waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening.
Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) contains petroleum distillates (Dimethy) as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind. Manufactures are required to have a chemical warning on the container that they contain Petroleum Distillates and to provide a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

My understanding of Zanio products is that they are water-based and that they use a mild (meaning a PD that has been further refined) as a lubricant and to help it spread more easily

JonM

[I have recently finished an article on PD's and how they relate / effect vehicle detailing, if anyone is interested, ask and I’ll post it]

ZaneO 01-28-2005 12:49 PM

Jon -

Are you saying that type-B PDs are bad for the paint?

Please also feel free to post your PD findings (in a new thread).

ZaneO 01-28-2005 03:56 PM

Jon - I was wondering if you could help me out by citing your source for the above information? I'm trying to do some further research.

From my understanding, water based dressings/products can contain silicone oils, which are emulsified. In theory, through a drying process, those silicone oils could be brought back to a solid state.

agentf1 01-28-2005 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by TOGWT
As ZaneO has said there are both good and bad PD-

a) Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, Waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening.
Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) contains petroleum distillates (Dimethy) as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind. Manufactures are required to have a chemical warning on the container that they contain Petroleum Distillates and to provide a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

My understanding of Zanio products is that they are water-based and that they use a mild (meaning a PD that has been further refined) as a lubricant and to help it spread more easily

JonM

[I have recently finished an article on PD's and how they relate / effect vehicle detailing, if anyone is interested, ask and I’ll post it]

TOGWT, I have read alot of your post and find some of it is great, and some is not. What is your source? Are you a chemist? Please post your source so we can make better a judgement of the validity of your info or point us to a link. :cheers: