CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Ever set off a bug bomb in your car? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1020807-ever-set-off-a-bug-bomb-in-your-car.html)

71coupe 02-20-2005 07:07 PM

Ever set off a bug bomb in your car?

I'm heading out to California in a few weeks and I'll be taking my vette out of storage, It's in a shed at my folks house. My parents live in the hills in North Orange County and they get a lot of Black Widows there :eek: Last time I took my Vette out (8 months ago); I found one inside the car. If you've never seen a Black Widow up close I can tell you there's no mistaking it. Even if you can't see it's belly, they're very black & shiny.

Anyway, I don't want any surprises while I'm driving. I'm thinking about setting off a bomb inside of it just to be sure. Has anyone done this? I may use one of the smoking type chem reaction bombs to reduce the amount of insecticide deposits. Is this a bad idea?

LIQUIDDRAGON 02-20-2005 07:15 PM

i have never done this but i would say to open the doors on the car and hood and the storage compartment in the car also and just set the bomb off in the shed if it isnt to drafty that way you kill anything in the interior and also anything that might be in the engine compartment or crawling around under the car also. you might also want to remove the door panels also sense that has a big area for little things to crawl in. anyways good luck and hopefully you dont have any surprises. :cheers:

45ACP 02-20-2005 07:31 PM

There is no need for a bug bomb.

You say the car is stored in a shed? Roll the windows down, start her up, get out, leave the shed, close the shed door. Find something to entertain yourself with for 15 minutes or so.

When you return, anything in the car or shed will have either evacuated or will be dead.

yellow 72 02-20-2005 07:39 PM

Yep, I have and it works. I bought a repo from a credit union, and let's just say the previous owners of the vehicle had questionable hygiene habits :ack: and there were univited guest running all over the interior.
Bug bomb new carpet and on to the happy new owners :D

MYBAD79 02-20-2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 45ACP

You say the car is stored in a shed? Roll the windows down, start her up, get out, leave the shed, close the shed door. Find something to entertain yourself with for 15 minutes or so.

When you return, anything in the car or shed will have either evacuated or will be dead.

That should work :lol:

Avette4me 02-20-2005 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 45ACP

:rofl: :rofl: indeed...it would work around my shop... :rofl:

start vette indoors...bugs, mice, dogs, most people---> :ack:

checklst 02-20-2005 09:38 PM

Be careful some of the bug bombs use a flammable discharge agent(propane) and the clock of a 71(if it works) creates a vary large SPARK when the contact points reset the spring, if you happen to hit the right ratio of O2 verse propane she will explode,!!! Hate to explain that one to my insurance Co.

bbeck 02-20-2005 09:41 PM

leaving the car run for a while sounds like a good idea

FEDX 02-20-2005 10:49 PM

No,but a guy I work with has.Apparently for the life of the car no one could ride in the back seat or with the windows up because it was so contaminated with pine scented bug bomb,and the chemicals were strong enough to give you severe headaches,runny eyes and noses.But then again,you may not enjoy getting bit by a black widow either.

71coupe 02-20-2005 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by FEDX
No,but a guy I work with has.Apparently for the life of the car no one could ride in the back seat or with the windows up because it was so contaminated with pine scented bug bomb,and the chemicals were strong enough to give you severe headaches,runny eyes and noses.But then again,you may not enjoy getting bit by a black widow either.

That's my biggest concern, a nasty lingering smell. The shed has enough ventilation in the roof & doors that I don't think it will be effective holding in exhaust or insecticide. Once I get rid of them & their eggs, it's easy to keep them away - they hate WD-40. I have an old truck parked out in the weeds that was infested with Black Widows a few years ago. I used a pressure washer to get rid of them (along with most of the paint & some parts that wern't bolted on too good :nono: ). After the truck was dry, I sprayed down the eng compt with WD-40. Most critters stayed away from it for over a year. I just can't bring myself to spray my vette interior with WD-40 :conehead

standup 02-21-2005 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 71coupe
...they hate WD-40.....

.....they hate the sole of a Nike too.........it's just a spider......if you're worried about surprises while driving, then check for rattlesnakes......kinda hard to shift and fire a shotgun at the same time, although I'm sure there's a few guys in Texas that can do it.... :) ....

.....the bug bomb is overkill and so is the WD-40...... :cheers:

Jughead 02-21-2005 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by standup
.......kinda hard to shift and fire a shotgun at the same time, although I'm sure there's a few guys in Texas that can do it.... :) ....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Watch yer foot Martha!" :lol: