CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Does an '82 rear bumper look good on a '76 Vette? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1051288-does-an-82-rear-bumper-look-good-on-a-76-vette.html)

newhampshirefarms 03-29-2005 10:49 PM

Does an '82 rear bumper look good on a '76 Vette?

I've just started restoration on a driveable 1976. I noticed the rear bumper is an '82 (which has the spoiler-wing look) and I haven't decided if I should keep it on or if it looks funny since its not the correct year. Maybe the average Joe wouldn't know anyway? It's not going to be a show car, just a summer daily driver. I don't have a lot of money to put into it, so if people think it's okay I'd prefer not to buy another bumper.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had any recommendations? Is it "okay" to swap things like the rear bumper to get a custom look or does it look funny? Personally, I kind of like the look... but that's just me.

Here's a couple pictures of it:

http://www.meaderboro.com/vette-side.jpg
http://www.meaderboro.com/vette-rear.jpg

Thanks! :flag:

BSeery 03-29-2005 10:55 PM

seen it done many times and I like it.

vettenoir 03-29-2005 10:56 PM

They look great! It was one of the main things that attracted me to the car. I'm not a fan of the 'chopped off' rear end.

Here's mine on a '77
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/629824

:cheers:

onaqwst 03-29-2005 10:56 PM

honestly i'm really a big fan of the spoiler in the rear bumper....sort of looks like an after thought...the rear deck slopes down and all of a sudden the spoiler is there......maybe a better transition between the two........ to each his own......

b

MYBAD79 03-29-2005 11:33 PM

The spoiler looks good - your rims are also not original and look good..... :thumbs:

Zachary76 03-30-2005 12:24 AM

It looks fine, I agree with onaqwst now, but when i was about 10 or 12 I liked the spoiler, and after all it's a part designed to be part of a Corvette and it's the same color as the body. If you had a gigantic aluminium wing then it would be a different story.

The worst thing that happens even if someone sees it on the road they will think "Hey, that's a pre 78 with a post 80 bumper...damn I wish I had a Corvette". Nobody is going to beat you up over it.

qwk vette 03-30-2005 06:26 AM

I like it alot. I have a 77, and I am going to put one on when I get ready for paint.
Do what you want to do and like. Don't worry about what other people will say. Everyone always has an opinion they think is the "right" one. Go with what you like.

jumpinjimburns 03-30-2005 09:22 AM

I like it. Thinking about doing that myself.

I'm Batman 03-30-2005 10:19 AM

I like it -- it looks like the stock '76 taillights fit in the post-'80 bumper?

SteveG75 03-30-2005 10:39 AM

I like it, but I am biased.

Nifty 71 03-30-2005 10:44 AM

This is a great mod for 74-79 corvettes - You should like it and get some good comments too!
:cool:

newhampshirefarms 03-30-2005 11:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is my first Vette and I just wanted to make sure it wasn't considered a "sin" to mix and match Vette parts from different years, such as the case with the rear bumper. By the way, SteveG75, your car looks great with the rear bumper. I hope mine looks half that good once I get a fresh coat of paint on it.

Now I've just got to decide what color to paint it, and if I should keep the luggage rack on back... The white is original. Is it a "sin" to paint it a different color than it was originally? Should I stick with white or a paint that was produced in 76 or is a custom paint okay?

kdf1986 03-30-2005 11:23 AM

Hello,
There is nothing wrong with that bumper on your car. Some people like it, and some people wont. What the real answer is....what do you think of it. It is your car, and if you like it, thats really all that counts.

There are many owners who have made this change. Like a previous response said, some Corvette enthusiast will know that it is not the original bumper, while others will not know and still say COOL VETTE. WISH I HAD ONE. Just smile knowing that you do.

kdf

03ki11er 03-30-2005 12:12 PM

I like it!

gr8whte 03-30-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 03ki11er
I like it!

:iagree: and paint it any color you want :thumbs:

NHvette 03-30-2005 01:51 PM

We are all sinners here.
Just some of us confess in public more than others.

My 75 front clip and 70 rear clip make a 73.
Yeah - some folks might not be willing to accept this, but that is their problem.
Around the CF, we restore things the way we want them.

Go for any color you want, and I say keep the bumper.

Paint is big bux, so I woudl suggest you consider other restoration
projects at first. The suspension is likely all original. A front
and rear suspension rebuild can get costly, but it makes the
vette drive like new. At that point, I would start thinking about
making it look like new.

Where-abouts in our lovely state are you ? PM me if you don't
want to broadcast it. I'm in Brookline - two towns West of Nashua.

:seeya

bryan27 03-30-2005 01:57 PM

the only problem that I see here is that you keep asking if it is a "sin" to do this or that.

It's your car, man...do whatever pleases you. PERIOD. I am sure that you bought this car for YOUR enjoyment, not everyone elses. Now, take that thought and run with it.

That being said, IMHO the only ugly spoiler is the huge one on pace cars.

gsfgf 03-30-2005 03:56 PM

i prefer it. I think vettes need the spoiler back there either the indy style or the 80-82 style. I really don't like the chopped back on the early rubber bumpers.

1FUNVET 03-30-2005 04:12 PM

newhampshirefarms-
I like it on your car how it is now. I also love that pearl white you got as well!!! If it were me, I'd keep it!

newhampshirefarms 03-30-2005 09:43 PM

Yea, I think I'll keep it pearl white and the bumper too. I like the look of the bumper too, but since I'm new to Vettes I just wanted to ask first as I had at first assumed from car shows I've been too where people always stress how everything is "original" and I thought I might have to dump a ton of money into trying to get it back to that state. I'm glad to hear that its okay to play around with the looks, and mix and match parts to my hearts content, that makes me more comfortable. I'd prefer to style it the way I like, as I see a number of you have also done.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get more into it. I'm just getting started on it, and am not a mechanic so I'm going to try to learn as I go and see how much I can do to improve it. It runs and drives now, but needs leaf springs, power steering lines, parking brake, etc. I'm not sure how much to try alone compared to how much to hire a mechanic to do. I've got all the tools I need, but not sure how much time + money to put in. The body is pretty good but needs paint, I have a spray gun and debated trying to paint it but not sure how good I can do with it since I don't have a paint room. I think it would be fun to try though even if its not 100% quality, I'll have some satisfaction in knowing I did it. Also need to replace my seats or the covers to them (they are ripped to shreds) and install an original radio into it. I guess I'll start with the essentials (leaf springs, etc) and then do the other things later as my cash flow allows. :flag: