CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Philosophy of Chip Foose. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1051564-philosophy-of-chip-foose.html)

Jughead 03-30-2005 10:43 AM

Philosophy of Chip Foose.

Foose sum-ed it up last night. It was a re-run of a show I missed.
They were re-doing that '68 442, and he said he didn't want to restore it. "If I want to see a restored car, I'll go look in a book!" :lol:

danboback 03-30-2005 11:15 AM

Another supporting fact that Foose is the man!

crf311 03-30-2005 11:15 AM

I'll second that!

03ki11er 03-30-2005 12:14 PM

Ill 3rd that, if there ever was such a thing!

mrtroutjedi 03-30-2005 12:15 PM

:iagree: :cool: :cheers:

TedH 03-30-2005 12:26 PM

Amen to that. My goal is a nice NCRS (Not Correctly Restored Stingray) that doesn't vary too far from what Zora intended but suits my performance/appearance requirements.

To date, my 'NCRS' mods on my '69 L46:

Functional L88 hood (with air chamber). I've not figured out how to get the small block air cleaner to line up as well as protrude up into the Air chamber. I recall you did this on your '70 before you went with the 454. Care to share some lessons learned on that?

Chambered undercar stainless dual exhausts. Essentially undercar sidepipes without all of the extra cover/hangers of a side exhaust.

Future plans: Selected poly and rubber suspension upgrades. Nothing radical but I won't be reusing the old worn out pieces either.

MotorHead 03-30-2005 12:37 PM

I am not too crazy about his work, looks to me like he puts a crate engine and big wheels on everything and that's about it, sorry to go against the grain here :D

foundvettelifeisgood 03-30-2005 12:56 PM

Motorhead has correctly summed up 2 key components of his style, but I don't think that makes him any less of the genius/artist that he is. He's also incredibly talented at paint, metal and clay work. If you stuck around for Rides after Overhaul'n he was on there modding some Cadillacs for the SEMA show.

1Bad69 03-30-2005 01:11 PM

I think on overhaulin he is limited to what he can do in a week....if you have seen the cars he does off air, you will see some awesome custom work...like the Chevy he did for Titus..

barkingowl 03-30-2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrtroutjedi
:iagree: :cool: :cheers:

:iagree:

Scudd 03-30-2005 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jughead
Foose sum-ed it up last night. It was a re-run of a show I missed.
They were re-doing that '68 442, and he said he didn't want to restore it. "If I want to see a restored car, I'll go look in a book!" :lol:

Thats funny. I think thats the car they F'ed up and now needs a new motor because they ran the pizz out of it on the dyno? Maybe he should have restored it or did a better job?

Jughead 03-30-2005 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TedH
Amen to that. My goal is a nice NCRS (Not Correctly Restored Stingray) that doesn't vary too far from what Zora intended but suits my performance/appearance requirements.

Functional L88 hood (with air chamber). I've not figured out how to get the small block air cleaner to line up as well as protrude up into the Air chamber. I recall you did this on your '70 before you went with the 454. Care to share some lessons learned on that?

Chambered undercar stainless dual exhausts. Essentially undercar sidepipes without all of the extra cover/hangers of a side exhaust.

Future plans: Selected poly and rubber suspension upgrades. Nothing radical but I won't be reusing the old worn out pieces either.

Ted, I didn't bond the air chamber to the hood until I had the L-88 aircleaner base etc already on the carb. The air chamber won't work with the standard 14" air cleaner. At least I haven't had any luck getting it to work.

I may need to remove the chamber and reposition on the hood to align with the BB.

TedH 03-30-2005 01:27 PM

Jughead,

Thx for the info on the air chamber placement.

Jughead 03-30-2005 01:48 PM

Is your air chamber already bonded to the hood?

MEGALADON 03-30-2005 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by TedH

DID YOU SAY NCRS, I own one of those to :cheers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...n/IMG_0596.jpg

LOTAHP 03-30-2005 02:11 PM

My Corvette is Restored but....

NOT CORRECTLY !!!! :rofl: :cheers:

TedH 03-30-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jughead
Is your air chamber already bonded to the hood?

Yep, it came that way when I bought the L46 in January.

LOTAHP 03-30-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MEGLADON

I would like to see a BIGGER picture of that top sticker, PLEASE !!!! :D :cheers:

LOTAHP 03-30-2005 02:14 PM

REAL BIG :D

page62 03-30-2005 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MEGLADON

Can you say "I - B - T - L"? :lolg:

BTW: Foose does some really stellar stuff! It's just that they have only 1 week to "Overhaul" a car...