CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Can you hurt the speedo if--- (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1054941-can-you-hurt-the-speedo-if.html)

Desertdawg 04-03-2005 03:27 AM

Can you hurt the speedo if---

Can you hurt the speedo if you run it pegged for about 35 miles at a time?
Say, I run around 105mph and my speedo is pegged at 85mph, will this hurt anything internally???

Note:
All LEO's this is not an admittance to guilt. I no Nuthink.... :D

74FLCONV 04-03-2005 03:31 AM

Yes...it's kinda like what Mom said about crossing your eyes...

http://www.fiero.org/pix/speedo.gif

81 Vette 04-03-2005 03:32 AM

:yesnod: its worth it :D

Desertdawg 04-03-2005 03:40 AM

Yeah, thats true.

I could repair it a couple of times just for this kind of fun!!!

Desertdawg 04-03-2005 03:41 AM

OOPS !!!

Double post :ack:

Twin_Turbo 04-03-2005 04:07 AM

no, I ran mine pegged a lot of times...it's not a problem. The needle isn't solidly connected to the speedo cable anyway.

platato 04-03-2005 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
Can you hurt the speedo if you run it pegged for about 35 miles at a time?
Say, I run around 105mph and my speedo is pegged at 85mph, will this hurt anything internally:D

LOL!

Uhhh yep! :D

I've had two cars with non functioning speedometers thanks to my obsession with top end. Both had cables that exploded with a sound that sounded like someone pumped a 12 gauge round into my dash.

When the cable explodes it uncoils and gets VERY BIG. That along with the misc pieces, can mess stuff up pretty good. If your going to run the desert like I did make sure you lube her real good or disconnect her. Also, she gets a little light in the nose at top end so be prepared. I really enjoyed running the desert in Nevada. I found the L81's top end is much improved when coming down one of those mountains with a straight road that you can see into infinity.

I learned a long ago that the tach is as good (actually better) than a speedo. The only reason for repairing the Vette is for NCRS. Heck, with an 85mph speedo I never see how fast I'm going anyway unless I'm in town.

STW!
Platato :willy:

Desertdawg 04-03-2005 04:14 AM

I'll lube up the cable again just in case, but one of these day's I'll upgrade it to a 145mph speedo...

BTW, I have been up above 130 out here, and didn't notice any lightness in the front, it felt pretty solidly planted...How high did your's sit in the front???

platato 04-03-2005 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
I'll lube up the cable again just in case, but one of these day's I'll upgrade it to a 145mph speedo...

BTW, I have been up above 130 out here, and didn't notice any lightness in the front, it felt pretty solidly planted...How high did your's sit in the front???

Mine is bone stock on 255/60R15's. It definitely felt light to me but I diddn't have much of a contact patch at those speeds either. Shark81 has VERY touchy steering at *cough* "normal speeds". It got a lot less touchy at those speeds and seemed to buffet a bit. Fortunately not a turn for 100 miles so we just rode it out together :D

I'm not sure what the top end was but the mountains were tall, the road was straight and the speedo & tach were pegged. I ran every mountain and straight-a-way through Nevada like that. I left California via Yosemite so I diddn't even pick up a real highway (70) until Utah. I never saw another car and was in my glory because I always wondered what it would be like to run WOT for a l o n g time. I had a few good runs in Utah but had to watch for cops from there to Illinois. Colorado was great through the desert side and amazing through the Rockies (the Rockies were obviously designed for the Vette)

Cannonball anyone?

STW!

Platato :willy:

Aflac 04-03-2005 10:19 AM

mine has a 160 speedo in it...

stingr69 04-03-2005 12:31 PM

My speedo only goes to "85" :ack:

I know I am going pretty fast when it gets to "H"....as in "MPH" :D

-JK :lol:

-Mark.