CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1084188-i-need-help-with-the-wife-first-post.html)

ziggyzz 05-08-2005 11:29 AM

I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post

Hi everyone,

First I would like to say that I have been lurking here for awhile now and this is a great forum. Now I need some help, and I am sure some of you have went through the same problems.

The problem is that the wife seems to be dead set against me getting a vette. I approached her with Idea a few days ago and she said I was crazy. As you can guess that really p****d me off.

If you rewind the clock 8 years ago when we were dating. We were moving away for my new job, didn't have much money, she didn't have a job and we were planning a wedding. So I did the right thing and sold my favorite toy a Kawasaki ZX-7R " I didn't complain or whine becouse I didn't want her to feel bad, it was something that needed to be done at the time. I bought the bike with 2000 miles on it and the body had been laid down at the track (The "R" means it is set up for road racing) it was not cheap. I spent the following 5 months repairing and repainting the bike. Just a long way of saying I loved the bike. We then used that money to pay for the upcoming wedding, about 10 grand. Since then I have always drove the crap car and never complained, it just was not that important to me.

Now this summer comes along, and for some reason I am getting the urge for something fun and fast. I first thought of a new bike, but then I started thinking of how much I like to be alive and walking. The idea of a vette jumped into my mind! I have always wanted one, they are fairly cheap 6-12K (cheaper then a bike). And it is something we both could do. It is also less than she spends on cloths in a year.

So guys and gals give me some idea's to convince her that we should get one!!! But please keep in mind that I do really love this lady!

Thank You,
Rob

Corvette Kid 05-08-2005 11:33 AM

Well with my marriage record I'm not going to give wife advice but if I ever get another, the Vette and any other toys I have will be non-negotiable issues! Welcome to the forum, BTW and good luck! :cheers:

Just had another thought, has she ever ridden in one or driven one? Test drive a couple and let her drive them, she might fall in love. Do you live somewhere where it could be justified as a second car?

ziggyzz 05-08-2005 11:42 AM

I tried to get her to drive one but she just wouldn't. I think she is scared of it.

And yes it would be just a fun summer car, and something for me to tinker with.

Thanks for the ideas,
Rob

KnightmareVette 05-08-2005 11:50 AM

The way my wife and worked it out was to get three accounts. A joint account, her personal account and my personal account. The money in the personal accounts is money we do what we want with. That way you can spend money on your toy and she can buy clothes with hers.

On the other hand, life is short. Don't put your dreams on hold just for the sake of keeping the peace. You'll only end up with regrets. Trust me on this.

MikeC4 05-08-2005 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
Well with my marriage record I'm not going to give wife advice but if I ever get another, the Vette and any other toys I have will be non-negotiable issues! Welcome to the forum, BTW and good luck! :cheers:

Just had another thought, has she ever ridden in one or driven one? Test drive a couple and let her drive them, she might fall in love. Do you live somewhere where it could be justified as a second car?

:iagree: heh heh... I am on with my 6th vette and 3rd wife...want advice from me? I think not! But as Cvette Kid NC states "the Vette and any other toys I have will be non-negotiable", marriages on the other hand are always negotiable.... :D

newbecorvetteguy 05-08-2005 11:52 AM

I'm getting a vibe that you and your wife might not be on the same page about a lot of stuff. What's her objection to you driving a corvette? It's just a car, and I assume you have to drive something. Would it be the only car the two of you'd have? As long as you let her pick out what she wants to drive, I don't know what the objection would be.

ziggyzz 05-08-2005 11:54 AM

LOL,

You guys are great! While I don't plan on divorcing her over this it is great to hear how much passion you have.

Thanks,
Rob

Mikez40 05-08-2005 11:57 AM

You can do like I did, I told my wife I was going to HomeDepot and come home with a Vette. Yep she was mad, but she got over it. We are still married now for 21 years and I am on my 4th Corvette in 12 years. Oh and she still doesn't really like Vettes.

In fact when I came home with the ZR-1 she said: "why didn't you buy a C5, they are easier to get in and out of." :eek:

On another note, I always buy her a "New" car. and my Vettes have always been used. So I keep her spoiled. :D

Good luck :flag:

brzman 05-08-2005 11:57 AM

i guess there is a couple of ways to approach this:
1- its a great way for the 2 of you to spend time together and share, and all that B.S.
2-its a great investment for the future...yada yada
3-think of all the new people you'll meet
4- she can get a new wardrobe

and on an on
if all that fails ......BUY IT !

CG77VETTE 05-08-2005 12:02 PM

Here's what worked for me. Bear in mind that I am probably somewhat older than you so my window of opportunity was closing rather quickly. After attending a local car show in September 1999 and solidifying the fact that I had to have a Vette, I asked my wife what her thoughts were. Since this would be a toy for me, her main concern was the money. I came up with the idea of saving up for one by opening a special account and depositing any extra cash I might have until I had enough to buy one. She was okay with this plan and supported me 100%. In addition, I immediately quit smoking cigarettes and deposited that wasted money as well which made my daughter quite happy. My plan was to save up for a few years or so. As luck would have it, that winter I came in first place in a season long football pool and won about $3,000 which I invested in the stock market and within 6 months had the cash for the purchase. I know this is a cinderella story but you never know. I would try giving up something and saving for it. Good Luck!

ALLT4 05-08-2005 12:06 PM

The way I did it was to tell her I have nothing! Other men have boats, bikes, hunting, fishing, whatever they spend money on. I conviced her since the Vette I'm buying didn't need much there's really no recurring expenses like in many other hobbies men have. ie: always needing that new gun, rod, reel whatever...

Every man should have something that brings him some joy outside sex and marriage. It gives you something to do and occupy your time with something you're proud of.

Rex Ruby 05-08-2005 12:08 PM

If you've been driving "crap" cars it is time for an upgrade.
Justify it financially to her, that you can afford it.
Hook up with some forum members and go out on an event and make her come along. Hopefully she meet some new friends and have a great time!

Chris_G 05-08-2005 12:08 PM

I'll trade 94 vette for your wife, need pics :D

xlr8nflorida 05-08-2005 12:10 PM

Live for Today - it might be your last day. :blueangel:

I had my first Vette at 25, sold that and bought 2 more which I currently own.

I will always drive a Vette, I couldn't see it any other way. :smash:

I don't care if its the hottest woman on the face of this earth. I will never drive a mini van :rofl:

89vert 05-08-2005 12:12 PM

Give her time to get use to the idea of you having a Corvette. As time passes you will find an opportunity to take advantage of. I eased my wife into the idea and as time went by she wanted a dog. Well I saw my opportunity and asked her after she got her dog if I could get a Vette. Done deal. Now she talks about traveling in the Vette after we get our daughter through college.

jabez 05-08-2005 12:13 PM

Just go pick it up and drive it into your driveway. Yeah, she will be a little mad at you but only for a day or two. Take her for a ride, let her drive, etc, and she will ask for a C6 in no time. :willy:

Chris_G 05-08-2005 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
Live for Today - it might be your last day. :blueangel:

I had my first Vette at 25, sold that and bought 2 more which I currently own.

I will always drive a Vette, I couldn't see it any other way. :smash:

I don't care if its the hottest woman on the face of this earth. I will never drive a mini van :rofl:

I guess I've been burried (married) too long :banghead:

ziggyzz 05-08-2005 12:22 PM

Again thanks for the replies! Keep them coming.

Yes me and the wife don't see eye to eye on some things. We were raised totally differently. I was raised to do things myself and save money that way. She was raised the opposite.

And as much as I love the women I do have to admitt that she is somewhat selfish. She is thinking of the money that she could use for something else.....................and that is the part that really p....... me off.

I should have just bought one instead of talking to her about it, hindsit is 20/20.

P.S. XFired her is a picture of her. I may take you up on your offer.....Just kidding
http://www.pbase.com/ziggyzz/image/22194932

Thanks,
Rob

Perfusion 05-08-2005 12:24 PM

I don't really know what to say here, because I've only been married 3 years. Vettes, however, have been in my life since the day I was born - first with my Dad, and now with me. When we got married, I was Vette-less at the time. When it came time for me to "shop" again, there was no doubt in the wife's mind that it was the "right" car for me.

If your wife doesn't like the idea of you having one, it's probably because she's just got the wrong idea about them (or those who own them). Take her to a local get-together, as others previously suggested, and she'll see that Vette owners are some of the greatest people on the planet. Also, do some serious research and get some numbers for her:

1) The car you're looking at probably costs way less than what she thinks.
2) Get an insurance quote - she'll be surprised at how affordable that is, as well.
3) Remind her it's a CHEVY - very well built and reliable. There are many with over 200k miles on the original engine/tranny!

Most importantly, if you want it, GET IT. You sacrificed something you loved earlier in the relationship (the bike), and now it's time to replace that item with something else. A Corvette is a great way to go... :cheers:

Corvette Kid 05-08-2005 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by XFIRED
I'll trade 94 vette for your wife, need pics :D

:nono: Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife and all of that.... And remember anyway, no matter HOW good a woman looks, some guy, somewhere is tired of putting up with her sh*t! :lol: :rofl: