CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] From Dave Hill: Its official - NO HP increases in 07, 08 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1086756-from-dave-hill-its-official-no-hp-increases-in-07-08-a.html)

Alex1217 05-11-2005 10:56 AM

From Dave Hill: Its official - NO HP increases in 07, 08

Just to stop the stupid rumors of any 525 hp increases in 07 which people have been starting up (probably to disuade 06 buyers), this was posted in Autoweek today:

Car News briefs: No 525-hp Corvette Z06 for next year;
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 5/11/05
No 525-hp Z06

When the Z06 version of the new Chevrolet Corvette goes on sale this October, we know a 7.0-liter V8 will be under the hood pumping out a now certified 505 hp (vs. the 500 hp previously reported).

What we’re also told is that, unlike the 2002-2004 C5 Z06s that picked up 20 hp over previous years’ Z06 models (thanks to a new catalyst and a freer-flowing exhaust system), we shouldn’t hold our breath for a similar power upgrade in Z06s in a few years.

“Next year there will not be a 520- or 525-hp version of this car,” said Tadge Juechter, assistant chief engineer.

“We don’t have any tricks left,” added Corvette chief engineer Dave Hill.

COAndy 05-11-2005 10:57 AM

That's ok. 505 HP should be adequate for my needs and desires.

81ZZZ4 05-11-2005 11:07 AM

Never ASSume anything is true...that just keeps competition guessing.
Do you really think any car company with 1/2 a brain would give out future product plans :skep:

How stupid would it be to keep it the same with ever increasing competition...

peccles 05-11-2005 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by alex1217

That seems like a strange comment from Mr. Hill. Couldn't the VVT in the new 3.9L OHV V-6 be applied to the LS7?

bernrex 05-11-2005 11:14 AM

There are other refinements the car could use for those model years, which would suit me more than additional HP.

such as: Nicer interior, better shifter, sticky/wider tires, lower interior noise levels, more functional hood, tranny upgrades

EuG 05-11-2005 11:42 AM

LOL :lol:
Do you really think they would divulge this kind of information before this years model is even out?
Half potential customers would consider waiting for next year model then.

Not saying they will or will not increase HP, but to listen to “official word” on it?.... :rofl: :bs

vipervetteguy 05-11-2005 11:44 AM

"On sale in October"???......With production starting on July 25, this doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?

Lazerwolfe 05-11-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by EuG
Not saying they will or will not increase HP, but to listen to “official word” on it?.... :rofl: :bs

If you can't believe their official word, then you can never believe anything therefore everything is speculation.

Technically you can't believe it's really 505hp either. That's official too.

RatRacer 05-11-2005 12:24 PM

Product liability attorneys and insurance companies will be the folks that put a lid on the horsepower levels in upcoming years.

I have a 500hp ZR-1. The last thing GM needs to do is offer a car with more power to anyone that can write the check.

427 C5 05-11-2005 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by EuG
LOL :lol:
Do you really think they would divulge this kind of information before this years model is even out?
Half potential customers would consider waiting for next year model then.

Since Hill and Co. told us that the C5 coupe couldn't "handle" the power of the C5 ZO6, I have no faith in ANYTHING Hill has to say.

WhiteDiamond 05-11-2005 12:25 PM

With the state of GM corporate affairs these days, I wouldn't be too surprised if Dave Hill and company really don't have any tricks left.....Sorry to say, but the Corvette should and does deserve better and horsepower jumps each year should be a given.

Todd

Runesabre 05-11-2005 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bernrex
There are other refinements the car could use for those model years, which would suit me more than additional HP.

such as: Nicer interior, better shifter, sticky/wider tires, lower interior noise levels, more functional hood, tranny upgrades

Totally agree there! There is plenty of room for improvement that has nothing to do with the engine.

tolnep 05-11-2005 12:28 PM

as bullwinkle said to rocky...

"watch me pull a turbo out of my hat"

NVR2FST 05-11-2005 12:37 PM

"Official" is a relative term. This may very well be the official stand today, but certainly can change six months from now. Either way, is 20hp on a 500hp+ machine worth putting off an awesome experience like the new Z06 for a year?

1Day 05-11-2005 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by NVR2FST
"Official" is a relative term. This may very well be the official stand today, but certainly can change six months from now. Either way, is 20hp on a 500hp+ machine worth putting off an awesome experience like the new Z06 for a year?

i agree not...but you feel bad in the end..but still I would go for whatever is at hand right now until there is a big refresh on the cards...

plus we wil never know until the end if there will be any changes on 07..

but according to plain common sense this time they have made the Z06 perfect from ground up, makes no sense to up anything here..probably 08 if the viper has a counter attack..

SMOKNC6Z06 05-11-2005 01:04 PM

If you read in between the lines. "There will be no 520 or 525 version" but, they did not say anything about a 550 version. haha.
Just kidding.
:smash:

Scissors 05-11-2005 01:06 PM

Nothing prevents the addition of 3V heads in the future, though.

greenshirt77 05-11-2005 01:16 PM

Just to stop the stupid rumors of any 525 hp increases in 07 which people have been starting up (probably to disuade 06 buyers), this was posted in Autoweek today:

AUTOWEEK
No 525-hp Z06

When the Z06 version of the new Chevrolet Corvette goes on sale this October, we know a 7.0-liter V8 will be under the hood pumping out a now certified 505 hp (vs. the 500 hp previously reported).

What we’re also told is that, unlike the 2002-2004 C5 Z06s that picked up 20 hp over previous years’ Z06 models (thanks to a new catalyst and a freer-flowing exhaust system), we shouldn’t hold our breath for a similar power upgrade in Z06s in a few years.

“Next year there will not be a 520- or 525-hp version of this car,” said Tadge Juechter, assistant chief engineer.

I give you credit for attempting to disuade people from debating this issue, :cheers: , but it appears that may have backfired on you.
Now this thread is just another open can of worms.

rockettc 05-11-2005 01:22 PM

AUTOWEEK
No 525-hp Z06

Next year there will not be a 520- or 525-hp version of this car,” said Tadge Juechter, assistant chief engineer.

So Tadge is saying that in 2007 there won't be a 15 or 20 HP increase, but leaves open the possibility of 2008. It also means that any other increase in HP in 2007 other than 15 or 20 HP is possible. It is autoweek's interpretation that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for it but not that it won't happen.

As for Dave Hill, just because he says they don't have any tricks left doesn't mean they can't get new tricks. ( This line sounds like it came from a bad movie talking about a group of hookers and their tricks. Oh well...) It's also a little insulting to GM engineering that they couldn't get more out of the engine if they wanted to eventually. GM is in financial trouble so I could see how engine research and development budgets get slashed or put on hold. Maybe the trick is R & D money.

It will also be interesting to see how the "tuners" find more "tricks".

Alex1217 05-11-2005 01:29 PM

Hey, I'm just the messenger guys, you can see the story here:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102371

It does make sense that they would at least keep the horsepower the same for a couple of years to not alienate existing vette owners and reduce the 06 C6 Z06 depreciation. The article never said that the C6 Z06 would never have another boost of HP again. I'm sure Dave Hill's and his team are already working on future upgrades.