CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Brake Line Update - underhood (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1113860-brake-line-update-underhood.html)

C7Z51 06-15-2005 09:37 PM

I took these pictures of the left exhaust manifold and wanted to know if this looks normal or not.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...xGTx2000/1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...xGTx2000/2.jpg

ttomczak 06-15-2005 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in IA
Have 4500 mi on my auto coupe. VIN 9549. Build date 11/23/04.
and had smoke coming out of back of hood & LF wheel well when stopping in towns

I thought that maybe a hose was ruptured by debris on the track. Maybe it wasn't just me.

Exact same locations for mine as well, hood and LF wheel well...

ttomczak 06-15-2005 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by corvette1
This is very disturbing. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Were you able to determine if this was a failure of the brake line itself or a connector? Are either of the vehicles affected modified in any way or have they recently had any underhood work? Trying to find a common thread.

I hope they find the root issue and get you back on the road quickly. :thumbs:

They did not tell me the point of failure, just that it did (like I needed confirmation!!!).

No mods whatsoever under the hood, and was just normal type driving down a 45mph road in infrequent stop and go traffic... In fact, never even got hard on the brakes that day (only can remember one time about a month ago that I ever really stood on them...)

It was easy to see the fluid on the car (inner rail) and the fact it was hitting the exhaust manifold. Seemed to be under the Master but could not tell where... When I looked, I did not know it was the brake fluid at the time, that came about 5 minutes later while driving to the dealer...

For what its worth, I never felt like the car was going to let me down. also no lights or beeps from any of the car systems, BF level looked normal...

ttomczak 06-15-2005 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mdcruiser

As with Ttomczak, at first only a brief softening of the brake pedal and a small white cloud of smoke. But when I kept driving it (about 4 miles, to a friend's house near where the incident first occured) it got worse, and when I finally turned off the ignition huge amounts of white smoke came from the hood on the driver's side. The AC was on when I turned the ignition off, so lots of smoke came inside, too.

Basically a carbon copy of my experience, and based on the recall notice, it was around the left manifold area...

ttomczak 06-15-2005 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
See mikeyc6's posts here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=949354

For those of you reporting failures in this thread, do your cars fall in these manufacturing dates?

No mine was months after this... Built 12/15/04

Mike in IA 06-16-2005 09:33 AM

So here was my fix

My car was fixed Weds. - in & out in just a few hours.
The trouble was a line too close to the left exhaust manifold that was being rubbed on probably when the engine was revved and it torqued over a bit.
Two lines come out of the master cylinder to a box/block on the front of the engine (ABS, etc.). Then the individual lines come out of the box. At least one of them routes back under the master cyl. near the manifold. My mechanic said that this brake line had a small bend in it towards the manifold - one that served no purpose. He thought it was an installation issue, perhaps some jig or carrier for another part made it during assembly. At any rate, it was too close to the manifold and the manifold rubbed on the line and eventually cut through the metal.

Since the replacement line to be ordered was just raw metal line, they spliced in a new metal section & re-wrapped it with foil insulation. He kept the removed section to show his area/zone rep.

Again, my VIN is 9549 and build date was 11/23 (museum delivery).

Dallas Vette 06-16-2005 10:53 AM

Keep abreast of Corvette recalls at:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/c....php?catId=111

corvette1 06-16-2005 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ttomczak
Exact same locations for mine as well, hood and LF wheel well...

To clarify, by LF wheel well, you mean the drivers side of the engine, correct?

VIPERXGTX2000 attached some photos indicating the left side of the engine/manifold and I would consider that the right side, from where I sit, not from where I look at it under the hood. Are we on the same page?

ufso 06-16-2005 11:55 AM

Standing in back of the car facing toward the front of the car is how the car is aligned...left side of car is your left hand. :thumbs:

Vet 06-16-2005 12:16 PM

To clarify, by LF wheel well, you mean the drivers side of the engine, correct? VIPERXGTX2000 attached some photos indicating the left side of the engine/manifold and I would consider that the right side

I was thinking the same thing. The photo by VIPERXGTX2000 appears to show the right side (see battery in pic), not left.

Very simple... left = driver's side, right = passenger side. Or, to reduce confusion, maybe we should just use the terminology "driver's side" or "passenger side". Can't go wrong with that. I actually got into the habit of using this terminology myself because too many people get confused.

DP Dave 06-16-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by VIPERxGTx2000
I took these pictures of the left exhaust manifold and wanted to know if this looks normal or not.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...xGTx2000/1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...xGTx2000/2.jpg

I believe this is the RIGHT SIDE.

:flag:

corvette1 06-16-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ufso
Standing in back of the car facing toward the front of the car is how the car is aligned...left side of car is your left hand. :thumbs:

We agree. A few other references were in conflict so I thought I should clarify for consensus.

Vet 06-16-2005 12:31 PM

Attention other posters in this thread who described the location of their brake line problem... just for clarification, please come back and tell us if your problem was on the DRIVER'S SIDE or PASSENGER SIDE. After skimming over the thread a little more, I'm beginning to think that there could be brake line problems on both sides now.

Gee, I'd need to look under the hood myself, but couldn't the brake line be routed behind the engine or anywhere other than right next to the exhaust manifold? This has to be the worst place it could ever be routed. Of course the engine will tilt and hit anything within a few inches... not to mention that extreme heat is the worst thing for a brake system... and an exhaust manifold is the hottest thing in the whole car. Gee whiz... they either had no choice, or they were just REALLY sloppy about it.

6spdC6 06-16-2005 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=Vet]Attention other posters in this thread who described the location of their brake line problem... just for clarification, please come back and tell us if your problem was on the DRIVER'S SIDE or PASSENGER SIDE.[quote]

It is so much easier to use that method. ALWAYS use drivers or passangers side when desribing a problem. Much less confusing then left - right. Been doing that since a kid in the early 60s working at a gas station. :cheers: :cheers:

C7Z51 06-16-2005 12:54 PM

sorry bout that

Mike in IA 06-16-2005 01:56 PM

the problem is on the drivers side for me - that is where the master cyl. is that I referenced.

Vet 06-16-2005 02:05 PM

Oh boy, so there ARE issues on both sides then...? I sure hope there is a good solution for all this. Hope there is another way to route those lines keeping them well away from the "danger zones".

ttomczak 06-16-2005 03:45 PM

To clarify, by LF wheel well, you mean the drivers side of the engine, correct?

VIPERXGTX2000 attached some photos indicating the left side of the engine/manifold and I would consider that the right side, from where I sit, not from where I look at it under the hood. Are we on the same page?

Drivers side front wheel...

ttomczak 06-16-2005 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vet
Attention other posters in this thread who described the location of their brake line problem... just for clarification, please come back and tell us if your problem was on the DRIVER'S SIDE or PASSENGER SIDE. After skimming over the thread a little more, I'm beginning to think that there could be brake line problems on both sides now.

To clarify this once and for all, there is only ONE side of the car where the
Brake lines should be under the hood and that is the Drivers side by the brake master cylinder. After that is where the routing begins. If I am wrong, please advise…

I just spoke with the service manager there and from what he said they have received the brake line back from GM today and the car is supposed to be ready by lunch tomorrow…

He indicated that this was the line that went to the back of the car. He stated it was about 5 feet in length and the tech had to remove parts of the exhaust to install it…He also said it was a perfect match to what they had removed and the leak was in the front of the line and spraying on the exhaust manifold… I will look at it tomorrow and if I can get the part, take some pics to show the damage…

I (at this point) do not know what caused the problem to begin with…

MD, Matt said that it is no problem to give you his number to help with this issue; he did say it was his parts guys that got it resolved though…

888-849-4109, his name is Matt Flowers

ttomczak 06-16-2005 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=6spdC6][QUOTE=Vet]Attention other posters in this thread who described the location of their brake line problem... just for clarification, please come back and tell us if your problem was on the DRIVER'S SIDE or PASSENGER SIDE.

It is so much easier to use that method. ALWAYS use drivers or passangers side when desribing a problem. Much less confusing then left - right. Been doing that since a kid in the early 60s working at a gas station. :cheers: :cheers:

:iagree:

Except I worked at a station in the early 70's...