CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Mods for cheap increased power on stock vette? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1117000-mods-for-cheap-increased-power-on-stock-vette.html)

sk187 06-18-2005 05:09 PM

Mods for cheap increased power on stock vette?

I just bought a stock 2000 c5 and that drained most of my money. Im wondering what are some inital cheap upgrades I can do to the car to add a little more horse power at the track?

Is adding a chip to one of these cars a option? What options are there that will add some more power for a low price.

Im not looking to break the car in half just a little somthing to get my times up.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-18-2005 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sk187
I just bought a stock 2000 c5 and that drained most of my money. Im wondering what are some inital cheap upgrades I can do to the car to add a little more horse power at the track?

Is adding a chip to one of these cars a option? What options are there that will add some more power for a low price.

Im not looking to break the car in half just a little somthing to get my times up.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...threadid=29243

Mitch C 06-18-2005 05:43 PM

The cheapest mod that will give you the most power would be to get a less restrictive air intake. The least inexpensive way to get more air to your engine would be the zip tie mod. Remove the cover from your air box and use a zip tie to hold the filter in place.

David426 06-18-2005 05:58 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Mitch C
The cheapest mod that will give you the most power would be to get a less restrictive air intake. The least inexpensive way to get more air to your engine would be the zip tie mod. Remove the cover from your air box and use a zip tie to hold the filter in place.

I added a K&N to my zip tie mod. not that it matters too much, however the main point is that the stock airbox is a major joke. You will definately feel a difference in performance.. Also keep an eye on the C5 Parts on this forum. You can find some really good deals on stuff. I bought a Hypertech programmer for $100, which I though was a pretty damn good deal. There are no chips on these cars. You have to re program the brain which runs everything using a programmer,or have an LS1 done by a speedshop, which is really the way to go, however this may run $300-$400.. Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal

Bob Chapman 06-18-2005 08:53 PM

If you are looking for "cheap" mods - you bought the wrong car.

fsuforever 06-18-2005 08:58 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Bob Chapman

mdhmi 06-18-2005 09:01 PM

Some form of air intake (Blackwing or K&N + Zip-Tie) is about it for inexpensive mods. You could do an LS6 intake, but, I don't think that'll gain you much at your HP level.

Mark

Joe’s Z06 06-18-2005 09:05 PM

You got that right. :(

Icemanskis 06-18-2005 09:32 PM

High performance hood seal - 15rwhp ($15)
blackwing intake - 10-15 rwhp ($230)

END OF CHEAP MOD LIST

Barry Hanna 06-18-2005 09:53 PM

I just put a Z06 air cleaner lid on (about $50.00) and I can tell the difference, you may want to do the zip-tie mod, but I was concerned about it being too open to water injestion since I don't have the hood seal in yet.

LS9 06-18-2005 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Icemanskis

you are joking, right ?

JeremyMSG 06-18-2005 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Icemanskis

END OF CHEAP MOD LIST

You should at least put a :willy: or a :rofl: or even maybe a :leaving: after that to let him know you are kidding.

SGT. PYLE 06-18-2005 11:09 PM

Hood seals do practically nothing at all! I have one and I still get plenty of dirt under the hood. May keep a little water from dripping straight onto the air box assembly but that's about it.

LS9 06-19-2005 12:36 AM

:yesnod:

Originally Posted by JeremyMSG
You should at least put a :willy: or a :rofl: or even maybe a :leaving: after that to let him know you are kidding.

sk187 06-19-2005 01:59 AM

I know nothing is cheap on a vette but I was looking more in the under 1000$ range. The zip tie mod looks great and I will deffinetly do it but I was thinking more about getting the computer re-programed and mods like that.

BTW does anyone know how much I will gain from getting the computer re-programed?

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to deffinetly get a 15+ HP hood seal :) (I learned that joke very fast :) )

Ron H 06-19-2005 11:42 AM

A good dyno tune will pick up about 25 HP. You can look to spend around $500 unless they offer a forum price.

Joe’s Z06 06-19-2005 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SGT. PYLE
Hood seals do practically nothing at all! I have one and I still get plenty of dirt under the hood. May keep a little water from dripping straight onto the air box assembly but that's about it.

My engine gets dirty too with my hood seal on also.

fsuforever 06-19-2005 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ron H
A good dyno tune will pick up about 25 HP. You can look to spend around $500 unless they offer a forum price.

i would definatley get an Ls1 edit done to the car but why waste your money on an edit to the pcm if all you do is put on a catback system go ahead & do all your modding that u are gonna do & then go have it edit & dynoed then every mod that you put on should be working in optimum performance thats my 02 cents on the dyno route

Ranger 06-19-2005 02:26 PM

For about 10 rwhp and 15 rwtq for $100...check out the ad in "C5 parts for sale" for a Halltech Tric that will fit your 2000.

It's the intake I run.

Ranger

Ikester 06-19-2005 03:33 PM

No such thing as cheap mods for power. :(