CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes-43/)
-   -   [Video] One lap behind George 8211 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes/1127680-video-one-lap-behind-george-8211-a.html)

L98Terror 07-02-2005 03:04 PM

[Video] One lap behind George 8211

Click it or Miss it

PeterK 07-02-2005 04:05 PM

That looks like a 4th generation maxima SE! It had to have a turbo engine in it.

Double Aught 07-02-2005 04:14 PM

I like how they used the Steppenwolf song that Cheby used in it's commercials last year.

Chevy Guy 07-02-2005 04:16 PM

Geez, how boring was that?

L98Terror 07-02-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy

Maybe putting wax on your car is way more fun :rofl:

Chevy Guy 07-02-2005 04:35 PM

Than watching that video? Watching grass grow would be more interesting.......Must be a "you had to be there" type of thing.

scorp508 07-02-2005 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by PeterK
It had to have a turbo engine in it.

I doubt it. :leaving: :thumbs:

vetterlatethannever 07-02-2005 05:30 PM

Haha, that was funny. The Vette looked like it was just cruising and the poor other car's tires were squealing and the engine reving all high trying to keep up. Then that ghey "See Ya" while he passed, give me a break.

And yes I might be wrong and I probably am a little biased (just a little) but that's what I see. That car would smoke my butt on a track too because I have no experience, I know this.

Edit: How the heck did I get into the great lakes region?? I swear I was in OT...... :crazy:

Edit II: Now I see, it is linked in OT and I followed it here.. Thought I was losing my mind..

Chevy Guy 07-02-2005 05:44 PM

That looks like a 4th generation maxima SE! It had to have a turbo engine in it.

Or the Vette missed a shift, pulled off the track, or was just wasnt beating the living snot out of his car.

snide 07-02-2005 08:25 PM

:nono: Ken knows how to drive. :yesnod:

:cool: video Ken. Got more vid/pics of the mid-year? :smiliedrool:

DRKCYDE 07-02-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by snide
:nono: Ken knows how to drive. :yesnod:

:cool: video Ken. Got more vid/pics of the mid-year? :smiliedrool:

:iagree:
That was cool.

dadvan99 07-02-2005 09:44 PM

Thanks for the ride!! :thumbs:

Low12s 07-03-2005 12:00 AM

1) wasn't a C6
2) 5 minutes behind and we see the 1 shot ahead?

lol

Crystal 08 07-03-2005 12:41 AM

Thanks for the ride!

I really like Waterford.
Can't wait...I will be out there in one month driving my Z06 like someone is chasing me! :thumbs:

L98Terror 07-03-2005 08:09 AM

Than watching that video? Watching grass grow would be more interesting.......Must be a "you had to be there" type of thing.

:rolleyes:

Krystal 07-03-2005 11:51 AM

Not sure what to make of that video. :confused:

Neither the Corvette we were following nor the car we were riding in seemed to be pushing the limit. If they had been I'd have expected to see some slipping and sliding going on somewhere in all those corners they went through.

...then again that's no real surprise. These were street cars right?

When you push to the limit and crash :eek: .....how do you explain that to your insurance guy on Monday morning? :crazy:

Still it was pretty cool...makes you want to go out and join a club that does this stuff. :cheers:

Does anyone know what the cost is to do this sort of thing?

This is the second video I've seen like this and driver intentions (how serious they are about actually racing) and ability make a whole lot more of the difference than the cars themselves.

The last video I saw like this was titled, "1998 Z/28 blows by everything in it's way"

The title was no joke.

It was a semi professional driver in an only slightly modified Camaro (roll cage and open exhaust) blasting past Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes and a bunch of other driver owned street cars.

Very few actually raced him....most simply pulled over for a more aggressive driver. :rolleyes:

L98Terror 07-03-2005 02:31 PM

Not sure what to make of that video.
It's a driving school, the video is a chance to see a lap around Waterford hills and for George to see his line so he can learn

Neither the Corvette we were following nor the car we were riding in seemed to be pushing the limit. If they had been I'd have expected to see some slipping and sliding going on somewhere in all those corners they went through.
Correct, both car diven buy the same driver would result in a much faster lap time by the Corvette, a Maxima has no business even hanging with a Vette. Keep in mind the car behind can only go as fast as the car in front of them

...then again that's no real surprise. These were street cars right?
Yes

Still it was pretty cool...makes you want to go out and join a club that does this stuff.

Does anyone know what the cost is to do this sort of thing?
Yes and you should. This was set up by Corvette Club of Michigan and cost $100 for club members and $140 for non members

Very few actually raced him....most simply pulled over for a more aggressive driver.
Most of these aren't wheel to wheel racing so what happens is you have set areas for passing when a faster car comes up on you and up are in a passing area you give a point by and if you have a more powerful car you would lift. This keep us from having car to car contact out there.

It's alot of fun you should do it

George8211 07-03-2005 04:56 PM

Hey, I didn't know you posted this yet. That event was a great time... "... give George a chance to learn his line" Watching the video, it doesn't look like I ever found a line. :lol:

That is my daily driver and I was pushing it. The tires were make'n lots of noise... however the driver didn't have the experiance to chose a line that what keep the car at a higher speed. I was taking most of my turns too tight... thus too slow.

Track rules.... No holding up traffic, if someone is faster... you let them get around you at the back straight way. Ken is much faster than I am... but he hung behind me to get the video so I could check it out. Ken went around alot of cars that day. I think he has another video posted in off topic. I can vouch for the Maxima... no turbo. :nono:

For those that have never done a road course event before.... DO IT. There's a lot more to it than what it looks like. But, it is tons of fun.

96KICKS 07-03-2005 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by George8211

For those that have never done a road course event before.... DO IT. There's a lot more to it than what it looks like. But, it is tons of fun.

Tsab 07-03-2005 11:04 PM

It was obviously an amature event....so what? It wasn't even worth the electricity to download it or watch it. What I really find strange is that these import guys will go to great lengths to post video of some import besting a C-5 etc. I have lost track of all the imports I've smoked at Raceway Park and Atco as well as on the street. I don't make a habit of posting it or going to the various import boards to post it, rubbing the import guys noses in it, because its really not all that important to me nor to many of the other members on this forum. Seems to me that the import guys have a major inferiority complex. My advice, stick to the import boards cause I don't think there is many people here who would be impressed.