CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   What are the best tires? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1131774-what-are-the-best-tires.html)

MiKe88 07-08-2005 12:50 AM

What are the best tires?

What are the best tires for my C6 Z51, they dont have to be run-flats?

SickRick 07-08-2005 09:06 AM

To add to this question...

I'm getting ready to replace my accident-damaged-rims (and with them my rubber, even though they're not quite worn out yet).

Bob @ house-o-wheels helped convince me the chromed GM OEM's were the way to go. Bob has also asserted that the Z51 stock tires (Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT's) are the best way to go too (regardless of $$). A number of folks here have had good experiences with the Michelin PS2's, and even one or two with the Falkens. The "Tire Poll" in the "Corvette General" board pretty much outlines which manufacturers are fielding replacement tires in OEM sizes.

The OEM tires DO seem to stick very well (when warm) even at the extreme G-Rating. But price, treadwear rating, and noise levels leave much to be desired (even though GY will have to start adjusting it's pricing soon, as more competitors enter the market with 285/35/19's).

What ARE people running as alternatives to the Goodyears, what did they cost you, where'd you get them, and most importantly - HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM? GoodYear Run-flats are very convenient, but also leave you at the mercy of some Mom & Pop tire dealer, if you happen to lose one away from home. Having a plug kit and pump minimizes this exposure, but a blown sidewall puts you on a flatbed, regardless of EMT or normal tire.

I'm leaning towards the Michelins are replacement for myself...

So???

Rick

MitchAlsup 07-08-2005 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MiKe88
What are the best tires for my C6 Z51, they dont have to be run-flats?

For high grip and moderate life :: the best tires right now are the PS2s

For long life at moderate grip :: I don't have a clue--why would I--its a Vette!

burtonbl103 07-08-2005 12:48 PM

Michlien ps2s hands down
Look at mine

JFTaylor 07-08-2005 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
Michlien ps2s hands down
Look at mine

:withstupid: No question bout it.

Recommended by the King of C6 Autocross -
Alex the Wheel-O-Nater
:cheers:

archtop 07-08-2005 07:13 PM

If money is no object and you want the best PS2's.For me price was a concern so I thought I'd try the Falken fk451's since they were less than1/3the price .So far (1000 miles) I'm really happy with the ride and performance,lets see how long they last.Price 816.00 for the set delivered from www.discounttiredirect.com vs 1,3200.00 for Ps2's delivered from tire rack.Maybe next time I'll do the PS2's if I stop buying mods.

GarryZR1 07-08-2005 07:51 PM

Archtop

I was just on the discount tire link you posted and they have the Falken & Goodyear at the same price. How did you get them so cheap. see the copy of the site info below.

Falken GR Beta FK-451
Exotic looks, style and performance.
285/35ZR-19 99Y B
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 280AA
Meets or exceeds original equipment speed rating

$287.00

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT
Information coming soon on this product.
P285/35ZR-19 90Y VSB
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 220AA

$287.00

archtop 07-08-2005 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Garry Luterek
Archtop

I was just on the discount tire link you posted and they have the Falken & Goodyear at the same price. How did you get them so cheap. see the copy of the site info below.

Falken GR Beta FK-451
Exotic looks, style and performance.
285/35ZR-19 99Y B
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 280AA
http://discounttiredirect.com/direct...87&rd=18&ar=40
$287.00

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT
Information coming soon on this product.
P285/35ZR-19 90Y VSB
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 220AA

$287.00

The fronts are 245/40 - 18 $125.00 each
http://discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=009187&ar=40
Rears are 245/35-19 $287 each Shipping is free that's 824.00 they said they'd sell them for $816 when I called .

northernplus 07-08-2005 08:20 PM

Tires

Yes there is going to be a lot of sorting out in tires in the near future for sure. As more manufactures enter the market for the Corvette customer.

Just an overview at this time, but have been running now two sets of Yokohamas on an "F" car for a number of years and am totally satisfied with the wear and traction.

Yokohama didn't get the nod from F-1 from a draw from a hat. They had to show something.

Competition is the best thing there is. Best products and, best prices. I have read all the posts concerning tires that are available and it appears that the Falkens and the PS2s are the clear choices, but that may change soon too as more manufactures enter the C-6 Corvette market.

Just don't put a "P.O.S." on your car to save a few dollars, it isn't worth it guys. If you do buy a set of tires that are not correct and you know it, please just eat the bill and change them, it isn't worth the consequences.

LS WON 07-08-2005 09:02 PM

What about Kumho tires?

:lurk:

MiKe88 07-08-2005 09:11 PM

Which tear has proformance plus high tear life?

archtop 07-08-2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by northernplus
Yes there is going to be a lot of sorting out in tires in the near future for sure. As more manufactures enter the market for the Corvette customer.

Just an overview at this time, but have been running now two sets of Yokohamas on an "F" car for a number of years and am totally satisfied with the wear and traction.

Yokohama didn't get the nod from F-1 from a draw from a hat. They had to show something.

Competition is the best thing there is. Best products and, best prices. I have read all the posts concerning tires that are available and it appears that the Falkens and the PS2s are the clear choices, but that may change soon too as more manufactures enter the C-6 Corvette market.

Just don't put a "P.O.S." on your car to save a few dollars, it isn't worth it guys. If you do buy a set of tires that are not correct and you know it, please just eat the bill and change them, it isn't worth the consequences.

Falken is a Japanese tire made by Sumitoma Rubber co.The tire is well respected around the globe and has outperformed more well known and expensive brand name tires.They are a smaller outfit and don't spend big advertising dollars ,that's how they keep the quality up and the price down.They are not POS tires,I'm very picky and have driven on lots of different brand tires.I had some Michelin's once on my Van that were crap and replaced them with Bridgestone's because they were much better and they were almost 1/2 the price.I like a good buy,Thats why I bought a C6 and not a Porsche.

LS WON 07-08-2005 11:07 PM

Same thing happened to me I had H-rated tires by Bridgestone on one of my cars

Originally Posted by archtop
Falken is a Japanese tire made by Sumitoma Rubber co.The tire is well respected around the globe and has outperformed more well known and expensive brand name tires.They are a smaller outfit and don't spend big advertising dollars ,that's how they keep the quality up and the price down.They are not POS tires,I'm very picky and have driven on lots of different brand tires.I had some Michelin's once on my Van that were crap and replaced them with Bridgestone's because they were much better and they were almost 1/2 the price.I like a good buy,Thats why I bought a C6 and not a Porsche.

:iagree:
Switched to a VR rated Michelin Tire. The ride detoriated real real bad. I can feel every rut in the road every piece of gravel. With the Bridgestones it was alot smoother riding.

LS WON 07-08-2005 11:08 PM

How about Riken tires?

SickRick 07-08-2005 11:16 PM

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...85&ar=35&rd=19

Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT's @ $287.00 each? GOTTA BE A TYPO...

Wonder if we can hold them to the price (or if they even have stock on them)...

RIck

JFTaylor 07-10-2005 10:04 AM

Kuhmo & Yoko's

Originally Posted by LS WON

In development but not avail in our size yet :cheers:

sallen619 07-10-2005 02:20 PM

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/sports_car/

AraiGP4 07-16-2005 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
For high grip and moderate life :: the best tires right now are the PS2s

For long life at moderate grip :: I don't have a clue--why would I--its a Vette!

Ralf Scumacher and Jarno Trulli might disagree with you about the Michelins....Seriously, I don't drink french wine, buy french tires or eat french fries! I do hope that some non-french company builds a high grip run flat in our sizes good for at least 15K miles, with good wet weather handling as well. It would be a home run! Bridgestone---Are you paying attention?

SickRick 07-16-2005 05:45 PM

I ended up getting a pair of the GY SC EMT's from discounttiredirect, for the $287. Mainly because no one HAS the Michelins, and I couldn't find the Falkens online (in stock) at a decent price. Actually thinking of ordering ANOTHER PAIR of the GY's @ that price, just to have.

I would suppose, another benefit(?) of the runflats is the likelyhood that unless they totally disintegrate due to failure, they would provide some protection for your rims also, vs a non-rf doing a quick-deflation @ high speed would likely do some damage to your rim also.

I open to trying the Michelins or Falkens, just gotta be able to FIND THEM.

Regards,

Rick

C6400hp 07-16-2005 07:04 PM

BFG TA KDW2
If I were buying tires right now and wanted good treadwear and performance as well as wet weather performance,these are what I would buy...I'm not sure why no one else has mentioned them. I had a set on an S2000 and they were great. Not as sticky as PS2's but much cheaper and last much longer and they are not made by the French.