CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   **** CARTEK/STS C5 Single Turbo is finished !! **** (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/1141071-cartek-sts-c5-single-turbo-is-finished.html)

Dave_Busch 07-19-2005 08:27 PM

**** CARTEK/STS C5 Single Turbo is finished !! ****

FYI This is forum member STEALTH 99 C5 posting under Dave B's screen name .

I've been very busy traveling with my job recently and my personal computer is down , I stopped by Cartek to check on my turbo project and I thought I'd give an update on it while I had the chance .

My new rear mount single turbo kit is finished . All the piping is finished , the turbo is mounted , the intercooler is finshed .

Cartek is putting the finishing touches on the fuel system, alcohol injection and some minor detail work , the car should be running in the next few days .

The kit was built to fit my budget which wasn't very big , and I wasn't trying to build the fastest car out there , I don't have the budget for that , it's nothing fancy to look at as far as the bling-bling factor , but it will put up the numbers at the track where it counts . I won't make any predictions as to what it will run in the 1/4 mile other than I hope to be in the single digits , my car has run in the nines on two different setups , stroker/nitrous and naturally aspirated , now I expect to go in the nines on boost and pump gas , and it would be cool to be the first 9-Second Single turbo C5 :D . My car always has and always will be street driven as much as possible . Cartek will be tuning it on 93 Octane with methanol injection , the factory computer and mass-air remain stock .

I sold the majority of my parts from my old 9-Second 441 Cid Naturally Aspirated set up , I kept my C5R block and sold basically everything else from the motor including the crankshaft , pistons , rods , heads, cam , lsx intake , headers , vararam etc .

Here's the details on the rest of the set up :

STS supplied Cartek with universal parts for a rear mount kit and Cartek did all the custom piping and fitment of the parts that were supplied by STS , Cartek came up with a nice , clean design for the piping , and the kit is not as visible as I thought it would be from the rear of the car , and this is without the finished tailpipes on it .

The turbo is a Precision GT-76 , with a Tial wastegate and Tial blow-off valve , air to air intercooler , cast extrude honed Z-06 exhaust maniflods .

The engine is a 9 to 1 compression 388 Cid C5R Block
The intake is a stock LS-6 with stock Z-06 mass-air .
The heads are Cartek prepped AFR 225's with Cartek's new custom shaft mount roller rockers .
The intake is an LS-6 , with Z-06 85mm mass-air .

I know that a rear mount kit isn't for everyone , but I became a beliver in them after driving an STS rear mount GTO and seeing the numbers it puts up at the track .

Stay tuned for dyno and track numbers in the next week or two . Cartek will probably tune it initially on 9-10lbs of boost and we'll see how the transmission and rest of the driveline hold , if all is well , I want to go up to 14lbs :D

P.S . I won't be responding to this topic very much as my personal computer is down and I'm travelling a lot the next few weeks with my job , I'm sure Cartek will chime in with more details once the car is running . :flag:

Bill Reid 07-19-2005 08:53 PM

Awesome... keep us posted :)

Bill :cheers:

Chrispy 07-19-2005 08:53 PM

So you went with a rear mount single 76? That is interesting :)

:cheers:

Geneus 07-19-2005 09:01 PM

Sounds like another Cartek awesome set-up, Mike. :thumbs: Good luck in what will probably be a quick succession to 9's with this package.

Any upgrades to the tranny/drivetrain? It is interesting that Cartek decided to use AFR 225's for this application. :yesnod: Any technical reasons for this that you can share with us?

master blaster 07-19-2005 09:15 PM

cool!

#001 2001 Z06 07-19-2005 10:16 PM

:lurk:

master blaster 07-19-2005 10:23 PM

so sorry,
I was trying to figure out if they had the same sts stuff.
i will try to remove.

asmokegars 07-19-2005 11:10 PM

Congrats Mike. Sounds like a great set up. Hope you get through travelling so you can run it!

brent eb02 07-19-2005 11:19 PM

:cheers: mike !!

if my fat ass 4000 lb GTO can run 10.6's on a 346 stock bottom end and 12lbs of boost
dude you will run 9s no problem!!!

im 800 lbs heavier!!! that 8 ths !!!

i predict mid 9s !!! daily driver!!! :crazy:

Hammer 07-20-2005 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by brent eb02
:cheers: mike !!

if my fat ass 4000 lb GTO can run 10.6's on a 346 stock bottom end and 12lbs of boost
dude you will run 9s no problem!!!

i predict mid 9s !!! daily driver!!! :crazy:

Brent,
Is yours a custom single or a packaged twin setup?

Jim

Scubanme 07-20-2005 12:52 AM

brent eb02 07-20-2005 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer
Brent,
Is yours a custom single or a packaged twin setup?

Jim

mine is a sts rear mount gt67

here is a video

CLICK HERE

Paul_Z06 07-20-2005 08:13 AM

Ummmmm, I think Mike has a few pounds on your skinny ass :lol:

Congrats, Mike. If I don't race on the 30th, I know who's at fault :lol:

jeffom 07-20-2005 10:18 AM

Any pictures coming soon ?

JeremyMSG 07-20-2005 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jeffom
Any pictures coming soon ?

:iagree: :lurk: Cartek has a great name here on the forum, it will be interesting to see pics, pricing, graphs, etc... :cheers:

Supercharger John 07-20-2005 12:31 PM

:cheers: congrats Mike...Enjoy!!!!

Jerseyboy 07-20-2005 01:36 PM

Congrats Mike. It will be interesting to see how spool up is being that far from the engine. Why did you ditch the LSX 90mm setup? I've seen good results with this on boosted apps.

Jersey

Bruce 07-20-2005 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Congrats Mike. It will be interesting to see how spool up is being that far from the engine. Why did you ditch the LSX 90mm setup? I've seen good results with this on boosted apps.

Jersey

Mine big T6 flange 85mm turbo with 1.18 a/r making full boost by 3000rpm on a 383ci rear mount turbo. It a LT1 motor. With his T76 and smaller a/r I am sure she will making full boost before 3000rpm.

http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu...turbo10003.jpg

Scubanme 07-20-2005 04:18 PM

mine is a sts rear mount gt67

here is a video

CLICK HERE

Your car runs great. WHo did the tuning and how many little annoyances have you encountered. Any drawbacks? What fuel do you have to run? I'm asking all this because I'm trying to decide between the STS system and the Kenne Bell setup.

Thank,

b98 07-20-2005 04:28 PM

:thumbs: :cheers: