CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Problems with front brake cooling duct? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1168960-problems-with-front-brake-cooling-duct.html)

C6400hp 08-23-2005 09:06 PM

Problems with front brake cooling duct?

Anyone else having a problem with the front brake cooling ducts staying in place? It seems they are not attached by any significant means. Looks to be held in place by the rigidity of the plastic inner fender. I had just noticed when I was under the car changing the oil that the one on the drivers side had come completely off the hole in the bottom of the front bumper! Looking inside the wheel well it was slightly out of place and had fallen somewhat down inside the inner fender! These seem to be just slip fit with no significant means holding them in place. I cant imagine how they would not come completely loose at high speeds over 120 or so. Seems to me that just the air pressure entering the ducts at that speed would cause the inner fender to flex allowing the ducts to come loose. Anyone else seen the same thing their car? Is my car missing some type of attachment device to hold them in place?

ByByBMW 08-23-2005 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Anyone else having a problem with the front brake cooling ducts staying in place? It seems they are not attached by any significant means. Looks to be held in place by the rigidity of the plastic inner fender. I had just noticed when I was under the car changing the oil that the one on the drivers side had come completely off the hole in the bottom of the front bumper! Looking inside the wheel well it was slightly out of place and had fallen somewhat down inside the inner fender! These seem to be just slip fit with no significant means holding them in place. I cant imagine how they would not come completely loose at high speeds over 120 or so. Seems to me that just the air pressure entering the ducts at that speed would cause the inner fender to flex allowing the ducts to come loose. Anyone else seen the same thing their car? Is my car missing some type of attachment device to hold them in place?

Mine were loose when I took delivery. There are tabs and, if I remember right, the duct rotates a little to lock them in. Haven't had any more problem and it has been 7 months.

C6400hp 08-23-2005 09:20 PM

I realize there are tabs but, those tabs help keep it attached to the inner fender liner. When pressure is exerted on the tube itself from the front, the inner fender flexes enough to let the front drop off the hole in the bumper. Are these attached in any significant way to the front bumper?

ByByBMW 08-24-2005 10:22 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just checked my ducts and since I I reset them, they have not budged. It would appear that the friction fit seems sufficient to hold them in place if they are securely put on in the first place.

Hope this helps.

C6400hp 08-25-2005 01:05 AM

Cool, Thanks

quimbysr 04-08-2018 11:37 AM

Let's resurrect a 13 yo thread.

Seems like just setting these again worked when new, but on my 90k mile car, I have to reset these things every time I do something near the front wheels; and they're still loose the next time. I have the front apart to replace the radiator support now. Any ideas to keep these in better?

C U IN REARVEIW 04-12-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by quimbysr (Post 1596952841)
Seems like just setting these again worked when new, but on my 90k mile car, I have to reset these things every time I do something near the front wheels; and they're still loose the next time. I have the front apart to replace the radiator support now. Any ideas to keep these in better?

Drill a few small holes in them and zip tie em

SkittlesRgood 04-13-2018 12:25 AM

Mine have one hole you can see when looking from the front of the car, where a Christmas tree clip would go. Apart from that, duct tape or put some screws into it.