CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   HELP – brand new CCW 505a valve stem leaking!! – please advise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1183373-help-o-brand-new-ccw-505a-valve-stem-leaking-o-please-advise.html)

DC5 09-11-2005 03:40 PM

HELP – brand new CCW 505a valve stem leaking!! – please advise

Can the valve stem (of the air pressure sensor) be tightened only from the outside of the wheel or does the tire have to be dismounted and the valve stem tightened from both sides of the wheel?

I was polishing (mothers billit polish) my new wheels before bolting them on when I checked air pressure. Here it is: 28, 24, 16 and ZERO. :eek: I aired all four to 30, and monitored for a few hours. One is really leaking fast and a little soapy water showed the valve stem (on one of the wheels) to be the culprit.

I really don’t want to have to ship this wheel back to John at CCW and wait another 1-2 weeks because I will not be a happy camper! :nono:

Just curious from you 505a owners: , did your tires have ~30psi when they arrived shipped?

Thanks guys.

Evil-Twin 09-11-2005 03:46 PM

Yes

Icemanskis 09-11-2005 03:47 PM

I think mine were actually a little more than 30psi. Mayve 32-33psi. I have never had any problems with leaking air. I suggest you work it out with John. When I received my first set of 505as, they were not balanced properly and there was a shimmy in the steering wheel. CCW was very helpful and they sent me a new set. They will make it right, but it takes time. You should get a perfect set for the amount of money you paid. :cheers:

DC5 09-11-2005 03:52 PM

Thanks guys. I'll just wait and talk to John tomorrow.

convertible lover 09-11-2005 04:03 PM

If it is leaking from the end of the stem you can go to any tire shop, they will have a tool to tighten the stem free of charge, it is real easy, takes about two seconds. If it is leaking around the base there should be a nut holding it in place just tighten it with a wrench. I had that trouble after I had new tires installed, not a big problem. If tightening ether place doesn't work, then it might take sending them back. Good luck with it.

Mike04 09-11-2005 07:48 PM

Had my sensors installed on my 505A's at a Discount Tire. Any large chain should be able to fix what ever the problem is. Much easier than shipping the tire back.

SteveDoten 09-11-2005 07:52 PM

people, evil-twin gave the answer-yes; grab a wrench and tighten the nut on the stem, if that doesn't work replace the oring(tire will be rem'd for that); no special tool, no need to have someone else fix it; edit--the $$fmtin the posted below also has a good point of the schraeder valve being the prob

$$$frumnuttin' 09-11-2005 09:02 PM

I had the same problem with my Iforged wheels. I fixed it myself by snugging up the internal portion of the valve stem. I used a tire gage that had the tool on the other side of the gage. EZ! Use soapy water to observe results.

DC5 09-11-2005 11:12 PM

Thanks everyone. I tightened the nut on the stem slowly but the bubbles did not even slow down (soapy water) where the stem meets the wheel. I not sure how much torque to tighten. I don't want to crack the sensor. I just checked my other three wheels and one of my fronts is leaking as well. That's 2 out of 4.

Avanti 09-11-2005 11:18 PM

Sensors may already be damaged.

Good luck.

DC5 09-11-2005 11:31 PM

sorry - this is my last post and I'm done with this thread. I just soaped down all wheels again and 3 out of 4 are leaking where the stem meets the wheel. I have to say I'm surprised these were not tightened better before they were shipped out.

Vetteman Jack 09-11-2005 11:45 PM

Good luck getting the leaks fixed. Hope it all works out for you and you don't have to send the wheels back.

DC5 09-12-2005 01:31 PM

Just FYI - All has been taken care of. As has been stated before, John at CCW ALWAYS takes care of his customers. Excellent customer service!!

Tiger Shark 09-13-2005 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by DC5
Just FYI - All has been taken care of. As has been stated before, John at CCW ALWAYS takes care of his customers. Excellent customer service!!

:cheers: