CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Getting The MN6 Into Second (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1198232-getting-the-mn6-into-second.html)

OHSIXX 09-29-2005 09:26 PM

Getting The MN6 Into Second

Takes some concentration. If I am day dreaming or something; suddenly in fourth.

Anyone else have this experience?

jschindler 09-29-2005 09:27 PM

You DO know about "CAGS", don't you?

jschindler 09-29-2005 09:30 PM

Okay, I'm thinking you don't. A computer guides the shifter from first to fourth under certain low rpm, low load conditions. The manual will tell you all about it. It's easy to eliminate for under $20.

BTW - CAGS = Computer Automated Gear Selection. It's for meeting gas mileage goals (CAFE).

OHSIXX 09-29-2005 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler
You DO know about "CAGS", don't you?

:lol:

I do now! :lol:

BTW, I have only had this thing one full day.

The Garage Master 09-29-2005 09:34 PM

That's ok you are aloud one mistake.

jschindler 09-29-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by OHSIXX

I know the feeling. You gotta love that first day feeling. Congrats again :cheers: :cheers:

Vette_DD 09-29-2005 10:14 PM

One to Four Shift Light
(Manual Transmission)
When this light comes on,
you can only shift from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4)
instead of FIRST (1) to
SECOND (2).
You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn
off this feature. This helps you get the best possible
fuel economy.
After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a
lower gear if you prefer.
Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear except
FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes
on may damage the transmission. Shift only from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.
This light will come on when:
• The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),
• you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
• you are 21 percent throttle or less.

rm50 09-29-2005 10:17 PM

I have had this happen. It doesn't have anything to do with the 1st to 4th thing. If I am not paying attention the tension on the stick will take it to a position where I shift to 4th instead of 2nd.
I really don't understand the need for a CAG. It just rarely comes up.

JmpnJckFlsh 09-29-2005 10:18 PM

There's a little light on the left side your instrument cluster that comes on at a certain speed (?) and goes off about 2500 rpm...it looks like 1->4; when that light is on, a solenoid in the transmission is energized to move a blocking part across the 2nd gear gate to prevent you from shifting to second, and guide the shift lever over to the fourth gear slot.

I ordered the skip shift eliminator...may not use it. I have only suffered CAGS a couple or three times, and it's not hard for the engine to deal with it. If you have the radio and the AC running, you may not even notice it unless you are watching the tach...it left me a little confused once to find I had shifted to fifth instead of third. :willy: :willy:

WWK888 09-30-2005 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Triple Black C6
That's ok you are aloud one mistake.

And you are "allowed" one mistake for spelling... :D :D :cheers:

OHSIXX 09-30-2005 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rm50
I have had this happen. It doesn't have anything to do with the 1st to 4th thing. If I am not paying attention the tension on the stick will take it to a position where I shift to 4th instead of 2nd.

Actually, I think this is like what has happen to me. Just have to think about getting it into second gear. Not a real biggy!

bubbas929 09-30-2005 08:26 AM

mine has yet to come on and slips easily into 2d.

flaskier99 09-30-2005 08:47 AM

:cheers: I did exactly the same thing, until someone on the forum told me about it. My right arm hurt for a week :willy:

ALMS21 09-30-2005 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rm50

You must not drive in any kind of traffic....otherwise, you would experience it over and over again. I got the CAGS and love it.

1955 BelAir 09-30-2005 09:32 AM

Been there on the six speeds since 1989 .. only in 1989 there was no eliminator available and we just learned how to drive around it .. easy to do. :thumbs:

VET4LES 09-30-2005 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart20
You must not drive in any kind of traffic....otherwise, you would experience it over and over again. I got the CAGS and love it.

:iagree: First mod on my Corvette. :thumbs:

Miaugi 09-30-2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by VET4LES

:iagree: ....me too! Got mine at Mid America...$17.99 I think?

JSTMYSPD 09-30-2005 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by VET4LES

Mine too..would have gone in quicker if I didn't lay on my back for a half hour looking around and touching everything :rofl: