CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Anyone have the 2006 GM "Chrome" wheels on their new car??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1201564-anyone-have-the-2006-gm-chrome-wheels-on-their-new-car.html)

Cherry1 10-04-2005 12:13 PM

Anyone have the 2006 GM "Chrome" wheels on their new car???

You know the ones the ones for $1,995.00.
I'm ordering a 06 and would like to know or even see a picture of these new "Chrome/Alum" wheels GM has for the 06's.
Really hate to throw hard earned money in the trash like I did on my 05 ($1,295.00) on those crappy polished turds.

Anyone?

Mayonayze 10-04-2005 12:40 PM

i like my shiny bling wheels. saw an 06 the other day at the dealer with the new shiny bling wheels, and they dont look any different to me.

AMF 10-04-2005 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry1
Really hate to throw hard earned money in the trash like I did on my 05 ($1,295.00) on those crappy polished turds.

I don't see how anyone, including me, could have any conceivable use for crappy polished turds! :lol:

SA HEAT 10-04-2005 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AMF
I don't see how anyone, including me, could have any conceivable use for crappy polished turds! :lol:

Isn't there an old saying, "you can't polish a turd"?

AMF 10-04-2005 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SA HEAT
Isn't there an old saying, "you can't polish a turd"?

Have always heard that, but apparently that is no longer true. GM has, indeed, found a way.

:D

cerino2000 10-04-2005 03:15 PM

I think you may have seen another set of polished. I don't think the chrome ones are available yet. That is my understanding due to another thread from last week. I thought it said like in November or something.

Cherry1 10-04-2005 04:12 PM

Some people will sell turds if they can get away with it! :lol:

Any pics anywhere with the chrome wheels, I can't seem to find any.

warthog34 10-04-2005 05:29 PM

unless something has changed recently, the chromes are on constraint till nov/dec which probably means longer in gm speak.

better to get the painted wheels and do a wheel exchange for the aftermarket chromes with one of the vendors. i think it's only like $700, much better than $2k!!!

dshaner1 10-04-2005 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by warthog34
unless something has changed recently, the chromes are on constraint till nov/dec which probably means longer in gm speak.

better to get the painted wheels and do a wheel exchange for the aftermarket chromes with one of the vendors. i think it's only like $700, much better than $2k!!!

:iagree:

Braced 10-04-2005 06:20 PM

I saw a set of GM chromes on a new 06 C6 paddle shift coupe the other day in Oaklahoma City. I even talked with the owner. They had "Corvette" in red letters going up one of the spokes. He had also painted the cap VY to match his car and Vette flags on them as well.. It looked REALLY good! He claims they are the GM chromes.

I saw them with my own eyes. Car looked fantastic! :thumbs:

cerino2000 10-04-2005 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Braced
I saw a set of GM chromes on a new 06 C6 paddle shift coupe the other day in Oaklahoma City. I even talked with the owner. They had "Corvette" in red letters going up one of the spokes. He had also painted the cap VY to match his car and Vette flags on them as well.. It looked REALLY good! He claims they are the GM chromes.

I saw them with my own eyes. Car looked fantastic! :thumbs:

I saw your post about that the other day. I think those were aftermarket. The red lettered sticker is available on ebay. Did the owner claim the car to be factory chrome?

baf2000_1 10-04-2005 07:12 PM

If you are thinking of upgrading the brakes then be careful of aftermarket chrome wheels. Many are not forged and quite a bit thicker in the spokes so clearance will be an issue.

aaaaa 10-04-2005 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AMF
Have always heard that, but apparently that is no longer true. GM has, indeed, found a way.

:D

LOL! Thanks! :cheers:

Braced 10-04-2005 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cerino2000
I saw your post about that the other day. I think those were aftermarket. The red lettered sticker is available on ebay. Did the owner claim the car to be factory chrome?

He claims they're GM chromes. Who knows? They sure looked great!

Another Yellow 10-04-2005 08:13 PM

The GM chrome wheels will not be available to order until December at the earliest. The aftermarket chrome wheels are either reproduction or GM wheels that have been chromed outside of GM. :cheers:

JmpnJckFlsh 10-04-2005 08:13 PM

Yeah, right...Your dealer probably went around to the back door of the Bowling Green plant, and "friends" inside passed them out to him. The reason nobody else can get them until next year is that those were the production prototypes!!!...the vendor is having to make new ones for approval!!!! :( :) :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit: Actually, I'm certified in car salesman talk...I'll translate for you. Your dealer said they're "GM chromes"...Translation: "These are GM-style wheels; they are 'chrome-plated'." ;)

Cherry1 10-05-2005 09:00 AM

No pictures of them anywhere?

Mayonayze 10-05-2005 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry1
No pictures of them anywhere?

on the real!

Blue Demon 10-05-2005 09:19 AM

I'll be getting the aftermarket chromies from a local Discount Tire shop.

ejbarre 10-05-2005 11:27 AM

I just did a chrome wheel exchange with my local Discount Tire store for $934. out the door. Included mounting, balancing, tax & they took care of shipping both ways. Beautiful chrome and I still have GM wheels. :cool: