CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   2000 Drivers Door Panel Removal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1241486-2000-drivers-door-panel-removal.html)

Chuck Gongloff 11-23-2005 04:30 PM

2000 Drivers Door Panel Removal

Just got a NICE used drivers door panel off EBAY. Want to replace the one on my 2000, which had a small "pencil hole" in it when I bought the car.

Are there any tricks to doing this? Looks like it pops off with 6 plastic fasteners holding it. What about the electric "console" on the panel? Should I disconnect the battery? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I'm a much better than average mechanic, and usually work on the old Corvettes. I have AIM's to guide me on those cars if I have a question. NO AIM in this case. TIA. Chuck

Humy 11-23-2005 04:32 PM

Pretty easy, just pulls right out, once it is not stuck to the door, you'll fiigure out how to disconnect the wires.

No need to disconnect battery either, good luck :cheers:

HollywoodVette 11-23-2005 04:33 PM

theres a couple of bolts under a plastic cover behind the door pull handle also. :cheers:

screw991le 11-23-2005 04:46 PM

Lower the door window.
Remove the inside handle bezel. Refer to Handle Bezel Replacement - Inside .

Remove the pull handle plug.

Remove the screws behind the pull handle plug.

Important
To avoid breaking the trim panel fasteners be sure to insert the fastener removal tool between the male fastener, which is attached to the trim panel, and the female retainer which is in the door. Do Not insert the tool between the head of the female retainer and the door.

For better sight access to the fasteners start by first prying out the fastener at the rear of the trim panel that is approximately 50 mm (2 in) up from the trim panel seam. Pry out the remaining trim panel fasteners working your way forward.
Lift the trim panel up off the upper retainers and reposition the panel by the door.

Remove the harness connector from the switch.
Remove the trim panel with absorber, switch, and speaker grill.
Remove any trim panel upper retainers that remained on the door.
Transfer parts as necessary.
Installation Procedure

Reinstall any loose upper retainers to the door trim panel.
Position the trim panel near the door and install the switch harness to the switch.

Install the trim panel to the top of the door engaging the upper retainers.
Align all the trim panel side and lower fasteners with the retainers in the door.

Press the trim panel firmly to the door at each fastener location.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the screws behind the pull handle. Tighten
Tighten the pull handle screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Install the pull handle plug.

Install the bezel to the handle.
Position the bezel around the inside door handle.
Push firmly on the bezel engaging the bezel locking tabs to the door.

Phidelt076 11-23-2005 04:54 PM

Here's some instructions with pictures. Good luck. Doesn't look too difficult. Just be careful pulling on all of the plastic pieces.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html

Vetteman Jack 11-23-2005 05:08 PM

It's not difficult to pull the door panel off. I too recommend looking at the Vette Essentials web site for a How-to. Good luck.

edensknight 11-23-2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Phidelt076
Here's some instructions with pictures. Good luck. Doesn't look too difficult. Just be careful pulling on all of the plastic pieces.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html

:iagree: This is a great pictorial link. Go for it! :cheers:

Chuck Gongloff 11-23-2005 07:06 PM

Thanks to all. :) I've printed out the thread, and bookmarked the Vette Essentials link. Have time to do it over the weekend. Doesn't look too hard. Thanks again. Chuck

blacksedan87 11-23-2005 07:35 PM

The only tip I can tell you is to go slow, when removing the red reflector at the bottom of the door - the tabs can and do break off if you try to go too fast. Don't ask me how I know - but I know! :o

Also after you've released all the clips - lift straight up and the whole panel comes off easy as pie! Ken King's instructions on the Vette Essentials site are the best! :cheers:

Chuck Gongloff 11-24-2005 01:03 PM

Well, the deed is done. Went well. Took about 1/2 hour.

One comment. The Vette Essentials site tells you to "gently pry" around the perimeter to loosen the pop fasteners. Ain't no way. :)

You gotta give them a hard, quick tug. Prying with a pair of screwdrivers wrapped in cloth didn't cut it. I finally used paint stirring sticks as shims, got my fingers up there and YANKED HARD.

I gave a few quick "yanks" at each connector, and off out they came. Thanks to all. Chuck