CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   ZR1 crate motor? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/125355-zr1-crate-motor.html)

Shark Man 02-18-1999 05:14 AM

With all the other auto makers bringing back their monster big blocks will Chevy cash in as well? I could swear I saw an article recently that said the old tooling for the ZL1 motor was found in Ohio and brought back to Detroit to be reworked to produce motors again, can anyone point me to the article? and is it really true?
Not that I could afford one! but it's fun to dream.
Sorry about the Subject, Meant "ZL1" not ZR1
[This message has been edited by Shark Man (edited 02-18-99).]

[This message has been edited by Shark Man (edited 02-18-99).]

MoMo 02-19-1999 10:00 AM

That is interesting. Carroll Shelby also found the old tooling for his original 427 Cobra and had a warehouse full of unused chassis. He planned to build "new" 427 Cobras...for a price, and built one aluminum one that was used along with a bunch of other supercars in a recent 0-100-0 test. The old style brakes really sucked, however, the car accelerated faster than any new car, even the Viper GTS and Porsche 911 Turbo. (And the 911 turbo gets 0-60 in 3.9 seconds!) My guess is that his venture failed because not many would pay his price, and he probably couldn't get an exemption from pollution controls for new cars.
Anyway, that's off the subject.
It was my understanding that the ZL-1 was the same 427 as the L-88, except that it was all aluminum. Back in 1969, I am certain even the cylinder bores were aluminum, which is too soft a material. If they bring back the ZL-1, #1. Expect it to cost a mint, like the new Dodge 528 hemi crate motor. #2. Hopefully they will use iron sleeves in the cylinder bores.
Another note about the ZL-1, you can make your own ZL-1/L-88 spec motor. GM does produce the cam for that motor. However, there are much better cams by today's technology. The ZL-1 cam was very weak below 4000 rpm, so you have to stroke that motor to get the big horsepower. It's near 600 hp at the redline. There are cams out there that will return 850 hp up high, but still have almost 500 lb-ft at 2000 rpm, with no other changes. (Remember to use the original 12.5:1 compression ratio if you're using Desktop Dyno to simulate).
My neighbor built an iron ZL-1 spec motor for his GTO and can burn rubber at will. However, he is changing the cam now to a more modern Crane grind to get more power and more low end grunt.

Shark Man 02-22-1999 10:18 PM

FOUND IT!

I found a small note in a magazine called "How to buy Hot Rod Parts", the note states: GM Performance Parts has made available a ZL1 aluminum block, part# 12370850, made from 356-T6M aliminum. Weighs less than 100lbs and has splayed 4 bolt mains and can handle about 800hp. How's that sound for fun? Just thought this was interesting with all the "crate motors" making a come back.