CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   New Owner Education (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/125385-new-owner-education.html)

Shark Man 08-04-1999 02:16 AM

As suggested on the C3 forum; There is a percieved impression that C5 owners are too snobbish to wave back to other Corvette owners. The General needs to somehow help educate new owners on "The Wave." This could probably be done with NO cost at all, just add a small spot in all the brochure material about the significance of The Wave and how new owners will now be part of the Corvette Fraternity. With no cost to GM other than having a couple extra sentences typed in the brochures this would seem to be a "no brainer"

Anyone have input, suggestions, or contacts to send this off to at GM?

corvette1966 08-04-1999 08:52 PM

Life is good when you can floor it AND wave at the same time.

GreyGhost 08-05-1999 12:26 PM

I think we should do whatever is needed to keep the "wave" alive. It is a great feeling going down the road and waving to another corvette. Its part of the corvette history.

CKB-C4 10-06-1999 01:02 AM

I live in Northern Viginia and drive a 96 C4. I have grown up with Vettes and have enjoyed the tradition of "the wave". It seem that most of late model Vette drivers never wave. I dont know if they are aware of the tradition, since a lot of new C5 buyers are new to Corvettes. I like the idea of the blurb in the brochures. See you on the road!

VegasLT4CE 01-09-2000 02:58 AM

I know I will probably get flamed for this one, but a friend of mine called C5's chick cars. From what I have seen (at least in vegas) he is right. A corvette is not a corvette unless it is hard to get into. There are too many "new" corvette owners that do not understand the roots of the car thus do not understand the wave. Even CJ (now wrangler) owners still wave at each other. The C5, even as advanced and great looking as it is, seriously dilluted the corvette driver gene pool. There should be some required reading for anyone buying a C5 that has not previously owned a Corvette. Who wants to come up with the syllabus?

Tormania 01-12-2000 04:53 PM

Vegas,

One must be careful when saying things like that, it what gives Vette owners a bad name in some circles. https://www.corvetteforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have enjoyed Vettes since I was a kid but I will be honest saying that I prefer the C5 to any of them for daily driving use, which mine will be for. The classics (pre-1967 in my eyes) are great cars but not something I would drive everyday.

Now yes, there are a lot of C5 owners where the C5 is their first Vette, same for me. But they bought the car for the wrong reasons. They are converts from other brands and don't understand the heritage that goes with the car. I do, that is why I have already joined my local Corvette Association even though I won't have my C5 for 3 more months.

I don't think the advancements in the C5 over the other generations makes the C5 a chick's car. We could say that about SUVs now couldn't we, they are nothing but glorified station wagons for Mom to haul the kiddos around in. Getting into and out of the C4 was a COMPLAINT by many owners, GM fixed it. Period. Glad they did too. I've only sat in a C4 once in my life and it was a pain getting into and out of. The C5 is like getting into a family car in comparison. I like it.

When I get my Vette I'll be Saving the Wave just like it should be done. An education process should be implemented I think. I've learned all I know from Vettes living on this forum for the past 7 months so I would be an educated and savvy owner when the time came.

They are all Vettes and they all should be respected. Some owners could care less if they wave but once they are brought up to speed most will.

C5 Steve 01-12-2000 09:09 PM

I own a riceburner and still wave to Harley owners so I guess waving to other Corvette owners won't kill me. One problem though, I never noticed anyone waving to start with. So how bout we educate others in a kind fashion. I like the idea of the line in the owners manual. Kind of neat even.