CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Lightest C4 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1260455-lightest-c4.html)

NitrousSam 12-18-2005 08:52 PM

Lightest C4

Who has the lightest street driven C4? Tell us what you did to get it so light.

Sam

86PACER 12-18-2005 09:21 PM

You asked this in the past. I guess no one really answered your original question.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...st&forum_id=48

NitrousSam 12-18-2005 09:53 PM

Weight

That is true. I have actually participated in at least 3 other weight reduction topics and they all turned into very positive discussions. I actually created that thread nearly a year ago and since that time we have added lots of new members and a lot of veteran members have done major work to their cars since that time. For example, I have removed more than a 200 lbs from my car my original thread and I am still working on new ways to reduce even more. :)

Zix 12-18-2005 09:55 PM

I recently got to see a C4 turned into a race car that weighed in at just under 2800lbs. But this thing was gutted, there really is not way you could comfortably drive it on the street...some of the main things that reduced the weight;

-Lexan windsheild
-Lexan rear hatch
-Removed all rear structure support for the rear bumper (you could almost push the rear bumper in with your hand)
-Light-weight fiberglass hood
-gutted interior
-no AC

I have some pics but there are still on my DC, I might pull them off a little later if you want to see them

NitrousSam 12-18-2005 09:58 PM

Dash

Do you know what they did with their dash? Did they switch to coilover shocks? Did they change fasteners?

Thanks,

Sam

Zix 12-18-2005 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
Do you know what they did with their dash? Did they switch to coilover shocks? Did they change fasteners?

Thanks,

Sam

They had coil overs in the front, not the rear...but they were going to add the coil overs to the rear soon.

I have pics of the dash, it was an all sheet-metal dash with only the required guages.

Which fasteners did you want to know about?

NitrousSam 12-18-2005 10:04 PM

Fasteners

Pretty much all fasteners and mounts that are in non critical stress areas? Did the car weight 2800 with a roll bar or roll cage or without?

Thanks a ton!

Sam

Slalom4me 12-18-2005 10:05 PM

Anyone really tackle the doors on these cars (I didn't
search back)?

Also, there was a car based on the C4 that saw limited
production. The skin was entirely or nearly entirely
carbon fibre. The most handsome design ever laid
over a C4 chassis IMO. One was featured in a Corvette
magazine in '02 or '03 - dark navy or possibly black
in colour.

Zix 12-18-2005 10:08 PM

Pretty much all fasteners and mounts that are in non critical stress areas? Did the car weight 2800 with a roll bar or roll cage or without?

Thanks a ton!

Sam

Good question, I'll have to take a look at the pics. I spent most of my time looking at the suspension and brake setup on the car. He made a really nice brake cooling system that I was pretty impressed with. That weight was fully loaded, without the driver.

NitrousSam 12-18-2005 10:29 PM

Seats

I was looking at Kirkey seats...and they seem to be some of the lighter ones available. Anyone know of anything lighter? I have the cloth factory base seats in my 84 and they are not that heavy but 5 to 10 pounds savings each would be worth it to me.

Slalom4me 12-19-2005 12:09 AM

Keep in mind that such seats should have a back-brace
and if weight is the sole criteria that what you save by
going with these might be added back through
provision of a brace.

Incidently. I was studying an install on the Hot Rod
Camaro
and I feel the way they braced theirs is NOT
the correct way to do it. Their brace is a horizontal
arc of tubing that fastens the apex of the arc to the
centre of the seatback at about the mid-point of the
scapulae. Right around T1-T3 as near as I can tell.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...hs2fig1-BB.jpg

Frankly, I do NOT want a solid object aimed at my
spine. My preference would be for supports extending
out to the sides of the seat. The seat back could still
buckle in a crash and injure the spine, but then that's
racin' ...

theseal 12-19-2005 12:01 PM

had a 96 in BSP trim, seats, exhaust, f/wh, pre 87 front brakes, wheels, etc., had it down to right at 3040 race weight; that required a fairly full tank of gas.

pre 89 interior is 40-80 pounds lighter, fuel cell would save 100 in autocross or drag trim due to no starvation, alum block 60 pounds, cf hood 40-50 pounds, you could get an AC, streetable car down to 2790 or so with all glass and full interior just with race seats.

radio 15, AC 40, emissions 10, 2730 or so.

glass, 60, sound dead, 60 or so, interior another 40 or so, bumpers ? at least 40 I bet,

lighter 4 speed, 40,

2490 would not be difficult at all for a race car.

dizwiz24 12-19-2005 12:34 PM

Although I have yet to weigh my 93, heres what I have done:

AC delete pulley (All the AC crap weighs about 25 pounds)
No passenger seat (i put it on the scale...it weighs 42 lbs)
lightweight flywheel (12 lbs vs. 40 lbs)
long tube headers vs. cast iron manifolds and no cats (prob saved me 50 lbs of weight right there)
No spare tire (duh!)

I do have a 6 point cage in heavy, mild steel (it weighs 35 lbs)

Dont forget tires!

GDYR Eagle F1 supercar tires weigh 4 pounds less than the competitors. 4*4 = 16 lbs of unsprung rotational mass you can save.

Eradispeed 2 piece rotors

Just some ideas.

comp 12-19-2005 05:16 PM

:lurk:

NitrousSam 12-19-2005 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ramey
had a 96 in BSP trim, seats, exhaust, f/wh, pre 87 front brakes, wheels, etc., had it down to right at 3040 race weight; that required a fairly full tank of gas.

pre 89 interior is 40-80 pounds lighter, fuel cell would save 100 in autocross or drag trim due to no starvation, alum block 60 pounds, cf hood 40-50 pounds, you could get an AC, streetable car down to 2790 or so with all glass and full interior just with race seats.

radio 15, AC 40, emissions 10, 2730 or so.

glass, 60, sound dead, 60 or so, interior another 40 or so, bumpers ? at least 40 I bet,

lighter 4 speed, 40,

2490 would not be difficult at all for a race car.

Ramey,

Thanks for the ideas. I sent you a PM about this topic.

Sam

NitrousSam 12-19-2005 06:01 PM

Rotors

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Although I have yet to weigh my 93, heres what I have done:

AC delete pulley (All the AC crap weighs about 25 pounds)
No passenger seat (i put it on the scale...it weighs 42 lbs)
lightweight flywheel (12 lbs vs. 40 lbs)
long tube headers vs. cast iron manifolds and no cats (prob saved me 50 lbs of weight right there)
No spare tire (duh!)

I do have a 6 point cage in heavy, mild steel (it weighs 35 lbs)

Dont forget tires!

GDYR Eagle F1 supercar tires weigh 4 pounds less than the competitors. 4*4 = 16 lbs of unsprung rotational mass you can save.

Eradispeed 2 piece rotors

Just some ideas.

Do you know if they actually make the Eradispeed 2 piece rotors for an 84? If they do I will be buying them immediately.

Thanks,

Sam

NitrousSam 12-19-2005 06:32 PM

Fuel Cell

I am interested in knowing if anyone has switched from the factory gas tank to a fuel cell and if so how much weight did you save?

mackeyred96 12-19-2005 06:54 PM

Sam, My car is a NeverLift in Jersey right now have alot of the things done you have mentioned.

Kirkey seats, battery to the back, 5 gal fuel cell, pinto manual rack and pinion steering, Strange racing brakes, Removed abs and power system, plus a few other things. I hope to save afew hundred pounds, i'll post some photos soon.

NitrousSam 12-19-2005 06:56 PM

Weight

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
Sam, My car is a NeverLift in Jersey right now have alot of the things done you have mentioned.

Kirkey seats, battery to the back, 5 gal fuel cell, pinto manual rack and pinion steering, Strange racing brakes, Removed abs and power system, plus a few other things. I hope to save afew hundred pounds, i'll post some photos soon.

What did it weigh before you took it to neverlift?

Thanks,

Sam

mackeyred96 12-19-2005 06:58 PM

What did it weigh before you took it to neverlift?

Thanks,

Sam

about 3330