CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Left Gauge Cluster Removal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/126505-left-gauge-cluster-removal.html)

AV76 08-03-2001 02:36 AM

Left Gauge Cluster Removal

I have a 1976 vette that needs to have the tachometer serviced(it won't go below 1700 rpms or above 3800 rpms). I am having trouble removing it from the car. I have unbolted the bracket that holds the steering column up but it will not drop down far enough to disconnect all the wires and bulbs on the tach and speedo. It only drops about a half inch. Has anyone else had this problem? The Chiltons manual I have for the car says to lower the steering column but doesn't say how to. Do I have to unbolt the rag joint? Can I remove the rag joint without removing the steering box? Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Shea 08-03-2001 08:04 AM

Re: Left Gauge Cluster Removal (AV76)

Go to Terry Rudy's websight: http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/ look under Suspension and Steering, Adjust Dimmer and/or Ignition Switch - Drop Steering Column. I have a complete description on dropping it down so that the steering wheel will rest on the seat. Or else you can continue and pull it right out. You have to disconnect the backdrive cable from the transmission as well as removing the nuts holding the column to the floor pan.

JIML82@aol.com

KenSny 08-03-2001 09:43 AM

You do not have to unbolt the rag joint.
Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the column to the bottom of the speedo/tach dash.
Unbolt the 3 (maybe 2, I forget) where the column goes thru the firewall.
The column will drop about 2+ inches.
Unscrew the upper dash, center cluster where they attach to the dash, and the screws on the left side door jam where they hold the dash.
I would prop up the upper dash.
Remove the speedo clip.
Pull the dash out and begin to disconnect the light sockets and other wires - MARK EVERYTHING.
I would remove the dash from the car before taking out the gauge.
Good time to clean it all up.

PS: I just finished doing this in June to fix the speedo for the second time.

woodworkr 08-03-2001 10:17 AM

Re: Left Gauge Cluster Removal (KenSny)

Great post from Kensny. You do not have to disconnect the rag joint. But there is little room for movement behind the instrument cluster. I would also recommend taking the upper dash panel off, that will give you some room to take the wires off of the headlight switch, the speeo cable off. You more then likely need the tack printed circut board. Thats where I would start anyway.
Good Luck,
JoeB

GaryS 08-03-2001 10:28 AM

This is a shot in the dark but doesn't your car have an electronic tach? I remember reading on another site that one of the prinicipal causes of tach failures was the card, which I THINK is located in the engine compartment. Can anyone help me out here? It would be a waste of time and a shame to pull the dash if the problem is not in the tach gauge itself.
Gary

woodworkr 08-03-2001 10:35 AM

Re: Left Gauge Cluster Removal (GaryS)

Gary
9 out of 10 electronic tach problems are caused by the tach printed circuit board. That is located on the back of the tach, not in the engine compartment. If I am not mistaken after installation of the circuit board the tach has to be re calibrated. I have read different things on that, some advertisers of the circuit board say that their kit requires no recalibration. I have not found a definate answer to that question as of yet.
Hope that helps,
JoeB

AV76 08-03-2001 05:40 PM

All the adviced has helped a lot, I have the steering column dropped and all the wires removed accept for one, the tachometer wire. Does the plastic clip just pull out of the back of the tach or is there something holding it there?

AV76 08-03-2001 06:38 PM

I have the left side out!! Thanks for all of the help.