CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Oil Catch Can - Must Have & Defined (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1268106-oil-catch-can-must-have-and-defined.html)

1badc5GoStrong 12-29-2005 01:38 PM

Oil Catch Can - Must Have & Defined

Apparently do to the configuration of the oil pan and cranck case, oil gets "frothed" up and is sucked/pushed into the PCV system which dumps it in the manifold (I lost 22 RWHP). A catch can is just what its name implies, it is installed between the crank case and manifold and "catches" the oil before being sucked into the manifold and robbing you of RWHP and damaging top-end. Phil at Dynotech installed one for me and my RWHP and torque cam back instantly. As usuall, DTE did a clean install of an AMW http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm Catch can. Thanks Phil for another quality job. :thumbs:

Vetteran 12-29-2005 02:00 PM

:cool: After seeing what mine caught, I'm a beleiver. :thumbs:

fastvett 12-29-2005 02:50 PM

Can you post pics of engine after install.Sounds like a great product.

DTE Powertrain 12-29-2005 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We're glad everything worked out in your favor Brian and thank you again for your business. :)

Here's a couple of photos on the subject I'm not sure you have that you may be interested in. Have a good, safe New Year!

Phil- DTE

Cobra4B 12-29-2005 04:08 PM

Phil what does the catch can mount to to stay in place? I'm thinking of getting one. Also... what about the line from the passenger valve cover to the LS6 tb? Does that one draw oil too?

DTE Powertrain 12-29-2005 04:12 PM

AMW also carries a mounting bracket specific to the LSx engine you can purchase as an option I believe. We route the valve cover fresh-air breather hose to the wide area of the air bridge where volume is greatest and intake air speed is at it's lowest. This also reduces the siphoning effect across that hose. We been doing that unique modification for a long while now and it's quite effective by its simplicity.

Phil- DTE

16Again 12-29-2005 04:17 PM

Problem is nobody stock the darn AMW cans. And if anyone does how much are they. :cheers:
Bob

mph1972 12-29-2005 04:33 PM

Who else sells Oil Catch Cans? I want to get one, but AMV only has the blue and that will not work for me and my coclor scheme. :willy:

Plus, I no someone posted an ebay link and they are sold for $10 bucks, but I would rather by something more proven, some of those ebay products are shady. :leaving:

There has to be other vendors, I have gone through several of them and nothing found. A little help. Thanks. :thumbs:

c5BlackBeauty 12-29-2005 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

edensknight 12-29-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
AMW also carries a mounting bracket specific to the LSx engine you can purchase as an option I believe. We route the valve cover fresh-air breather hose to the wide area of the air bridge where volume is greatest and intake air speed is at it's lowest. This also reduces the siphoning effect across that hose. We been doing that unique modification for a long while now and it's quite effective by its simplicity.

Phil- DTE

:iagree: :cool: :thumbs:

Lee Willis 12-29-2005 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mph1972
Who else sells Oil Catch Cans?

I bought mine from MTI.

RocketDawg 12-29-2005 05:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the C6 Z06 comes from the factory with a catch can ... meaning that GM recognizes its utility.

C5Jimmy 12-29-2005 06:04 PM

I am definitely getting an AMW ASAP!!!

Reminds me of an oil separator for an a/c compressor in a large air conditioning, or refrigeration system, same idea more or less.

Thanks for the info! :thumbs:

screw991le 12-29-2005 07:00 PM

Just from daily driving, I catch enough oil to make me happy

Vetteman Jack 12-30-2005 01:04 PM

Looks like a very nice install. Going to consider doing this to mine. :thumbs:

mph1972 12-30-2005 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
I bought mine from MTI.

Thanks for the link, I ordered mine today and Dave was a great help, because they are closed until next week and he still called me and got my order placed and in the system for me...$129.99 was MTIs price and that is $40 less than the other vendor mentioned here. :thumbs:

Golffox 12-30-2005 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteran
:cool: After seeing what mine caught, I'm a beleiver. :thumbs:

Amen. Also less smoke out the back. :thumbs: A must have on a modified engine. The AMW fits good and tight with the extra $$ bracket.