CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Power Steering Problems - HELP (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/126927-power-steering-problems-help.html)

SuperFast80 08-03-2001 04:31 PM

Power Steering Problems - HELP

My high pressure hose just went and I need to get it to the shop.

Can I drive it to the place or will I be doing damage? The thing turns but you have to be a he-man to turn the wheel when the car is stopped or near stop.

:(

BSeery 08-03-2001 05:20 PM

Re: Power Steering Problems - HELP (SuperFast80)

how far are you going to have to drive it ?

Jim Shea 08-03-2001 05:20 PM

Remove the belt from the power steering pump and you will be able to drive as far as you need without damaging the rest of the system.

JIML82@aol.com

SuperFast80 08-03-2001 05:28 PM

Re: Power Steering Problems - HELP (Jim Shea)

BSeery: I've got about 10 miles to go.

Jim: If I go without the belt. Is it driveable like a non-power setup? The reason I ask is that I face the prospect of leaving it at the shop for a 3 day long weekend (only in Canada;)). Can I take off the belt and keep it for the weekend?

Jim Shea 08-03-2001 05:39 PM

The steering gear is the same power or manual steering. Your power steering set up is the same as manual steering with the tie rods in the "quick ratio" (shortest distance to the wheel centerline) steer arm holes. Therefore, except for some additional drag from the assist cylinder, your steering system will think it is manual steering. You won't hurt anything.

JIML82@aol.com

SuperFast80 08-03-2001 05:42 PM

The weekend is back on!!!

You ARE sure right? :D I'm not doubting you, just double checking befor I do something imprudent.

Ganey 08-03-2001 05:52 PM

SuperFast80

Agree w/ Jim. You could easily change the hose. I took the power st. pump off a car once when the hose failed. Less wt. & no problems.

:cheers:

SuperFast80 08-03-2001 07:39 PM

Re: Power Steering Problems - HELP (Ganey)

Thanks guys. Just one question - would I be putting too much strain on the joint? I think it is a little worn and there is a little play.

Jim Shea 08-03-2001 08:50 PM

The flexible coupling is the same, power or manual steering. That flexible coupling was designed to last over 100,000 miles under manual steering conditions. You won't hurt it. If it is worn you should replace it and check to make sure that the steering column is aligned to the steering gear when you install the new one. There is a mandatory assembly sequence for installing the steering column so that it is aligned properly to the steering gear. It is outlined in the Corvette AIM books and also in the Corvette shop manuals. I also can supply a copy.

JIML82@aol.com

SuperFast80 08-03-2001 09:15 PM

Jim, I'd like that if you can send me a copy - fvolpe@impressus.ca