CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Hooker sidepipes vs chambered? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/127156-hooker-sidepipes-vs-chambered.html)

Marks69BB 08-03-2001 09:13 PM

Hooker sidepipes vs chambered?

:confused: OK, I've currently got the chambered 2.5" exhaust on the car but I love the look of the sidepipes. I also like the sound of the chambered that I have now. Everyone says that the chambered are more restrictive than regular mufflers but what about Hooker sidepipes vs chambered? Surely with 4" pipes and the neat low restrictive inserts that are now available from a guy on this forum, are sidepipes still more restrictive than chambered? or mufflers? Please help me because I'm drueling (sp?) over a set of used Hookers I can get right now! Also, I like to run at the drags every once in a while so performance is also important! The thought of running the hookers minus the inserts at the drags is also very appealing. :crazy:

Marks69BB 08-04-2001 04:44 AM

Re: Hooker sidepipes vs chambered? (Marks69BB)

ttt - Am I :crazy: or can someone at least give me an idea which one is better for performance? Thanks for anyone's comments out there! :cheers:

MassVette 08-04-2001 08:36 AM

I've run all three types (factory chambered, Hooker sides with Hooker inserts, and Hooker sidepipes with spiral baffles. The last choice is the best performance, hands down.
Factory sides- NO headers, 2" inner baffle (BIG HP loss);
Hooker sides with Hooker inserts- Nice headers, more HP, but restrictive 2" mufflers;
Hooker sides with spiral baffles- The flow is tremendously improved over that of the Hooker insert . Plus- No popping on backdown, and better sound all around.

ScubaJKD 08-04-2001 01:38 PM

I have run chambered exhaust, hooker sides with hooker glasspacks, and have just ordered JCL baffles for my hooker headers and sidepipes. If customer testimonials mean anything, everyone who has run the hooker headers with side pipes and JCL baffle inserts swears by them. You get the best of all worlds, great flowing headers, big 4 inche exhuast pipes, with great flow and just the right amount of backpressure to increase torq and HP. Not to mention the sound which everyone raves about as sounding like a AA fuel dragster. I will let you know when I get my installed.

Alwyn678 08-04-2001 02:00 PM

Re: Hooker sidepipes vs chambered? (ScubaJKD)

Could U buy all that from Hooker?? :confused:

ScubaJKD 08-04-2001 02:21 PM

Re: Hooker sidepipes vs chambered? (Alwyn678)

You can buy the Hooker Headers and Side Pipes from Ecklers. They also sell the Hooker Side Pipe Glass pack inserts that go into the side pipes. However the JCL Baffles you have to buy from Jim. There are several posts now about him and his baffles. They rock and he is great. His email is JCL79383@aol.com. Hope this answers your question.