CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Side pipes, yes or no? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/127213-side-pipes-yes-or-no.html)

Quickjagg 08-03-2001 10:59 PM

Side pipes, yes or no?

pros/cons

A guy at work told me not to get them, that he had nothing but problems with his because they always hit the ground. Keep in mind that I live in Maine, on an Island, and the roads around here aren't very good. (this isn't a small island, we do have a bridge to the mainland =)
Thanx for the help!

ZD75blue 08-03-2001 11:05 PM

Re: Side pipes, yes or no? (Quickjagg)

you can mount them higher or lower on the kick panel (on hooker headers style)

if the roads are really really bad I would sugest not using sidepipes or headers (they make the ground clearence to a very small amount) you also should look into a chambered exhaust sytem

ZD

Alwyn678 08-03-2001 11:09 PM

Looks...........YES.....Practicality no...........Performance ..........Depends....Go with ur gut....,if ya like the look do it ............U can always change it back and there is always a market for the pipes!! :cheers:

01MY74CvGray 08-03-2001 11:14 PM

Go with your heart.. Originality or stocked vette. Looks - positive, sound - equal, originality - negative. As you can tell, I would rather not have them. I like the car to resemble how it looked when it came off the line.

Quickjagg 08-04-2001 10:03 AM

Sidepipes are at the bottom of my list of things I need for the vette anyway, but thanx for the quick responses! I still don't know if I'll go with them or not, they do look cool, but the car looks good the way it is... I guess I have time to decide. Thanx again!

Chuck Harmon 08-04-2001 01:39 PM

I'm not sure what others are referring to when others say side pipes give less clearance. My lowest point was under the car was where the pipes ran under the differential. The Hooker headers for side pipes are much higher in the engine compartment than the underneath variety. My lowest point is the bellhousing and oil pan. Where the pipes come out behind the wheel is so close to the wheel that you would be hard pressed to bottom out there. This is also where the side frame rail curves up anyway. The side pipes are virtually the same height as the lowest point of the side rail.

I believe they have given me 2-3 inches of extra clearance. Changing clutches and throwout bearings is also much easier with the side pipes. The inside of the car does not get as hot because the pipes are not under your feet and seats. Neither does the transmission or the rear end.

On the negative, I would agree that I prefer the look of pipes coming out the back over side pipes. You can also run a cross over pipe with underneath exhaust, but not with side pipes. You will not get side pipes to run as quietly without being very, very restrictive as compared to underneath pipes and muffler combinations. My new baffles are much louder than the original stock mufflers that run under the car. But they are not much louder, if any, than using turbo mufflers. They also seem to flow very well with little restriction. They do give the car a much more aggressive and bold look.

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 11:43 AM 8/4/2001]

ScubaJKD 08-04-2001 02:38 PM

Re: Side pipes, yes or no? (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck, of all the posts I have read on this site about side pipes I think you hit on the number one reason I will keep mine after all is said and done. HEAT. With the side pipes my interior is drastically cooler than it was with hot pipes running right under my butt. I dont have an air car and the difference was truely amazing. Now that we have the baffles question figurered out in order to make these things run the way they are supposed to I will never switch back. Thanks for the post its nice to see someone actually hit the nail on the head every now and then.