CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Parking outside. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/127590-parking-outside.html)

Bob88Convertible 08-04-2001 04:10 PM

Parking outside.

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside. I know we all can't own a garage like my mojo, would be nice tho.

How many people have to park outside, and what do you do to protect your car.

silver-eagle 08-04-2001 04:26 PM

Re: Parking outside. (Bob88Convertible)

I don't have a garage either. On the postage-stamp sized lot, there's no room for one.

If it sits for more than a couple of days, it sits snugly under a full car cover. Lately though, it's been accumulating milage, and hasn't had any rest. The cover was more a concession to the ice and snow of the northeast rather than a shield against them. It made ME feel better.

In the summer, I have a cover that just goes over the windows. It keeps the inside cooler on those bright sunny days.

Bat Man 08-04-2001 04:26 PM

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside.
You mean me??? http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif

Bob88Convertible 08-04-2001 05:03 PM

Re: Parking outside. (Old Sport)

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside.

You mean me??? http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif
Yep it was you. Mine's not even a daily driver, can't imagine having to park outside, I'd worry to much.
:chevy

corvette dude 08-04-2001 07:40 PM

mine is parked outside for the months of April - October in my apartment parking lot. None parks within 10 spots of the car and it is always covered and never sees rain. During the winter I will park it in my friends storage garage and probably not use it at all.

I am looking for a place with a grarage but will probably not be ready to buy until fall of next year.

94VetteFern 08-04-2001 08:08 PM

Unfortunately i park outside all year round, just for now. But we're looking for a house to rent or buy
and we're looking for one with a garage for my Vette so she can be spoiled ! ! :D

94VetteFern 08-04-2001 08:09 PM

Re: Parking outside. (94VetteFern)

Forgot to mention, I do have a cover i put on her, and
i have a pretty safe spot to park everyday. (( KNOCK ON WOOD))

Juliet 08-04-2001 08:27 PM

The '70 and '65 get the garage. The '87 is relegated to the elements. :( I haven't bought a car cover yet. I figure I will by fall when the leaves start dropping and the snow comes.

wake 08-04-2001 08:52 PM

When I bought the Vette, I was living in an apt with underground parking... I was moving in the next month so during my search, I wouldn't even look at anything that didn't have a garage... I passed up many apts to get the "small" one I have now... ~550 sq/ft, but I have a large 1 car garage for my baby, my toolbox, and a small computer desk in the corner for when I get my diagnostic software... http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif

I found my current residence by accident, it was right around the corner from another I looked at so I figured I'll just look, when I first saw it I wasn't going to take it until the landlady asked if I wanted to see the garage... http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif Been here almost 3 years now... I'm waiting until the other apt (duplex) moves and then I'll move next door (~700+ sq ft)... I might even be able to swing another garage (this duplex has 4)...

13Mick33 08-04-2001 09:03 PM

I don't have a garage for my car...yet. I just moved into my new house not too long ago, it has a good size yard were a garage will be built. But in the winter I do have a garage to put it in.
I don't worry about my car sitting out in this neighborhood, I don't think anything will happen to it (knock on wood)

VetteLT4 08-04-2001 10:17 PM

a cover is a good investment

Corvette Kid 92 08-04-2001 11:22 PM

Re: Parking outside. (silver-eagle)

My dad let me take his spot in the garage :cool:

GUMPA 08-05-2001 07:20 AM

Re: Parking outside. (Corvette Kid 92)

My dad let me take his spot in the garage :cool:
Do you let him drive the car once in a while for payment...... :cool:

GS Diva 08-05-2001 08:47 AM

Just before Alan and I married in December 1989, we bought a house which was perfect for us and our lifestyle except it didn't have a garage. Not that important at that time! Then...we bought an 85 coupe in Jan. 92 which was a daily driver. Kept it covered every night, though. Sold it in 98 and bought our 74 convertible and then the 88 convertible. Both were kept covered with Noah car covers (work well!) all year as they were not used daily.

Alan and another Corvette friend of ours kept pressuring me to agree to build a 2-car garage for our toys!:smash: I resisted for over a year as it would destroy some beautiful terraced gardens we had. Finally...they wore me down, and a beautiful oversized garage was built last October! It even has skylights so we get natural light to clean the cars! :lol: Best thing we did!!!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine

JIM FL 08-05-2001 08:50 AM

BOB,I LIVE OUT IN THE COUNTRY AND ONLY HAVE A CARPORT TO PARK MY 87 RAGTOP UNDER. I FEEL THAT THE NOAH COVER MAKES UP SOMEWHAT FOR THE LACK OF WALLS.

R23HTC 08-06-2001 12:11 PM

Ours sits outside of our apartment and we hate it. It's already been hit once and picks up a few scratches every other month. We got the damage fixed and the people that hit it no longer live here so that helps some. It hasn't had a car cover and always got washed at LEAST once a week. Now that it's down because we don't have the cash to get the motor fixed right away :cry, a car cover will probably be bought soon. I've seen the Noah cover looks like the way to go. Right now I try and bucket wash it as soon as it starts looking like it's been sitting to long.

TJR 08-06-2001 01:30 PM

Never garaged, live in an apt. But it's always in the shade, at work and at the apt. I have great parking at work... more spaces than cars, lots of trees for shade, and plenty of car guys that you can trust to park near. At the apt, there's a guy with one of those white turbo TransAms (96 I think), so I try to park near him, knowing he won't ding me. But truthfully, I don't worry much about it, just use common sense in when and where I park, like I do with all my cars.

[Modified by TJR, 12:31 PM 8/6/2001]

Springer's LT4 08-06-2001 01:32 PM

Re: Parking outside. (R94 LT 1)

I park mine outside at my apartment complex and while I do have a cover, I havent used it yet as i'm using the car as my daily driver. While at work it is parked in a covered garage. One good thing about FL is we don't have to worry about snow or ice.

91-Z07Coupe 08-06-2001 01:52 PM

Re: Parking outside. (two-tone86)

I TOO live in an apartment and have to park it outside. I drive it every day so I don't cover it. Everyone in the complex knows it's mine, and no one parks near it. Even the kids stay well away from it.

HMmmm must have been from that day I went running outside with my Colt 45 ACP. (J/K!!) :D

Breezy 08-06-2001 03:24 PM

I've got a carport which is some protection. I also keep a cover on it Mon-Thursday. Friday thru sunday I drive it and leave the cover off. :chevy