CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Only half blinkers working, still hazard switch? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1275956-only-half-blinkers-working-still-hazard-switch.html)

B84RADR 01-08-2006 10:09 AM

Only half blinkers working, still hazard switch?

Hello,

I've read numerous archive posts about the hazard switch being a source of problems for blinkers. In my '97, I have one turn signal that always works normally (driver's side) and the other one is always crazy fast. But no burned out bulbs or markers, I've checked four times. Could this still be the hazard switch, for only one side, or is it more likely to be the turn signal stalk that you use to turn the signals on?

If I turn my hazard lights on, both signals, front and back, come on correctly, but I've never been able to get the passenger signal to work properly by toggling the hazard switch numerous times as recommended in a lot of posts.

Thanks!
Shayne

MonteHall 01-08-2006 11:48 AM

try this
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6

:D

could the relay be damaged?

B84RADR 01-08-2006 11:54 AM

OMG!! :eek:

That must be IT! I have to say I'm glad it is sold out.

dpd 01-08-2006 11:58 AM

hazard switch most likely,as long as all the bulbs are working and they are all the proper bulbs

SpeedyZ 01-08-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MonteHall

That site it too funny! :rofl: I'm going to order a crap load of those Round Tuits, I need a bunch of them! :D Seems like the O-pipe would be CARB legal, they couldn't let any emissions out! :willy: Glad they make them for single and dual exhaust! :thumbs:

B84RADR 01-12-2006 04:10 PM

Hazard Switch and Turn Signal Stalk Part Numbers

Just as a follow up, I purchased a Hazard Switch from Fred Beans @ 610.495.1700. We'll see if it solves this one-sided turn signal issue I'm facing. Something tells me I'm going to end up replacing the actual stalk on the column.

The part number listed for the switch on this forum, 10406626, was replaced by another. The new part number is 10359036, and the cost from Fred Beans as of 01/12/06 is $21.67 vs the local stealership price of $41.37.

The turn signal stalk p/n Fred Beans gave me is 26075870 @ $133.08. My local stealership price was $241.97 if you can believe that.

Later!
Shayne

bill mcdonald 01-15-2006 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by B84RADR
Just as a follow up, I purchased a Hazard Switch from Fred Beans @ 610.495.1700. We'll see if it solves this one-sided turn signal issue I'm facing. Something tells me I'm going to end up replacing the actual stalk on the column.

The part number listed for the switch on this forum, 10406626, was replaced by another. The new part number is 10359036, and the cost from Fred Beans as of 01/12/06 is $21.67 vs the local stealership price of $41.37.

The turn signal stalk p/n Fred Beans gave me is 26075870 @ $133.08. My local stealership price was $241.97 if you can believe that.

Later!
Shayne

Mine just started doing exactly what you described.
Let me know how it goes.

B84RADR 01-16-2006 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
Let me know how it goes.

Sure thing Bill. I should receive the switch late this week and hopefully install it over the weekend. Once I'm done with it, I'll be sure to post my results. It seems like my blinker problem is somewhat unique in the way it's working/not working. Hopefully I will be able to say this fixed it!

I didn't mention before but my rear lights are blinking very quickly on the pass. side. But the front pass. lights are blinking incredibly slow, if at all sometimes and very erratic without rhythm. Very strange. My toggling the hazard switch has never improved the pass. signal by itself, although having the hazard's turned on makes all lights front and back work normally.

Shayne

B84RADR 01-24-2006 06:03 PM

Hazard Switch arrived yesterday. I'll be putting it in within the next day or two if work calms down.

Shayne

B84RADR 01-25-2006 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
Let me know how it goes.

Fetch.

I replaced the switch using the simple proceedure listed in several places on this forum. Took about an hour, great instructions!

But...No luck. Maybe I have a bad turn switch turning stalk? I can't think of anything else this might be.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing a turning stalk? I bet I have to yank the airbag and the wheel to get to it. Bummer.

Shayne

Benchpress 01-26-2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by B84RADR
Fetch.

I replaced the switch using the simple proceedure listed in several places on this forum. Took about an hour, great instructions!

But...No luck. Maybe I have a bad turn switch turning stalk? I can't think of anything else this might be.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing a turning stalk? I bet I have to yank the airbag and the wheel to get to it. Bummer.

Shayne

I replaced mine with out removing the steering wheel. Two screws can be reached with out removing the steering wheel. One is facing the back of the wheel next to the column.
I used a male torx head socket, I flatend four side of it with a grinder so that I could get an open end wrench over it. It just fit under the wheel to allow me to remove it. The screws come out easy not a lot of troq is required. You have to remove the plastic trim around the column to get to the screws.
Everything unplugs under the column under the dash. Use a drop blue locktight on the screws when reassembling. :thumbs:

B84RADR 01-26-2006 02:18 PM

Wow Benchpress, I'm impressed. You must have REALLY not wanted to take apart any more of the car than you absolutely had to!

Did you have the same problem I'm having with half of the blinkers going bananas?

Benchpress 01-26-2006 05:19 PM

Yes, only on the right side of the car.

I already had the whole inside of the car Apart. This included both fuse blocks removed to locate What I originaly thought was an electical short, I had replaced the hazard switch,the ECM, both turn signal sockets, took apart all the ground pack on the car and cleaned, replaced the Two related relays. you can't beleive were that turn signal wire on the right side travels through!

The stalk was last only because when I turned it on, it would signal on the dash indicator light that the blinker was working. :smash: At that point I decided to remove the stering wheel and found that it was easier and quicker to gind the torx socket. Believe me! it was a pain in the Arss...

It took all of 15min to change the stalk, and what seemed like a week to put the rest back together. :crazy:

SmoothFRC 01-31-2006 09:52 AM

So, the stalk resolved the issue? I am also having the same problem... Thinking I may have it taken care of under warranty though... :-)

B84RADR 01-31-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
So, the stalk resolved the issue? I am also having the same problem... Thinking I may have it taken care of under warranty though... :-)

I ordered the stalk on the same day that I replaced the hazard switch. It's on it's way in the mail from Fred Beans. It was going to take a few days for it to get to Fred Beans, and then they are shipping it to me here in Utah. My turn signal indicator on the right pass. side does not turn on, I only hear a fast clicking noise from the hazard switch. Driver's side works perfectly and always has.

We'll see how this goes. I'll report back.

Shayne

SmoothFRC 01-31-2006 04:20 PM

That is exactly the issue i am having (just started a few days ago), where if you play with the stalk (off and on) the right turn signal appears to function again.

B84RADR 02-11-2006 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
That is exactly the issue i am having (just started a few days ago), where if you play with the stalk (off and on) the right turn signal appears to function again.

The turn signal stalk has arrived and I will probably install it Monday. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Is yours still freaking out? Mine has gone permanently bad on the right signal. Now even playing with the stalk doesn't make it work straight.

SmoothFRC 02-12-2006 10:57 PM

Mine has not done this in about a week or so, but like anything else, i know it will come back at the worst time....like when i am changing lanes and a cop is behind me.

xlr8shn 02-13-2006 10:59 AM

Similar yet different symptoms here on my 99:

Right two tail lights work perfectly EXCEPT when braking... I have already replaced the hazzard switch, replaced bulbs, tested wiring with multimeter...

Thanks for the signal stalk price and part #. Am calling Fred Beans now.

SmoothFRC 03-14-2006 09:13 AM

Any update on this? I had my car at the dealer for this and of course it was not happening, so i am pleading with them to replace the stalk as that is what I think it is based on this thread (and also sounds like the hardest thing to change)

Any luck?