CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Is there a difference? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/127967-is-there-a-difference.html)

C4@your_door 08-05-2001 10:07 AM

Is there a difference?

between your back rotors and front rotors? Would I be able to change my back rotors to my front rotors? Or is there something that doesn't make it possible? I hope I make sense and someone can help me out.

Thanks

Husker Vette 08-05-2001 10:37 AM

Re: Is there a difference? (C4@your_door)

I am by no means an expert here, and if I am wrong please someone let me know......

I would assume that there is a difference between the front and rear rotors because a couple of catalogs that I have looked at show different numbers for front and rear rotors for the 1990 models......

96LT4 08-05-2001 11:06 AM

Pretty sure there is a difference. I've noticed when I wash my car that the fronts are larger.

jaa1992 08-05-2001 02:47 PM

Has to be a difference. I think the major difference is how the rear emergrncy brake connects up.

There is a little drum there and it changes the shape of the rear disc.

VetteLT4 08-05-2001 03:03 PM

dont know what exactly, but ive heard there are some differences

C4@your_door 08-05-2001 04:56 PM

Re: Is there a difference? (VetteLT4)

Does anyone know the difference between the fronts and the rears? I have 4 ones that I got from someone and i'm trying to figure out what ones are the fronts and what ones are the rears. Can someone help me out here??
Thanks

Lloyd Smale 08-05-2001 04:57 PM

I believe the fronts are the larger ones

C4@your_door 08-05-2001 05:18 PM

Re: Is there a difference? (Lloyd Smale)

I believe the fronts are the larger ones
They look they same in size. Do you mean lager in Micrometer size? Is there a marking or a number on the rotors it's self that I should be looking for?

chaos on wheels 08-05-2001 08:13 PM

Yes!!
Standard-duty front brakes are the same diameter (12") and thickness as the rears. BUT the "offset" is different. You can't put fronts on the rear or vice versa. I know this because I bought rear rotors from the dealer once and they gave me fronts. :(

My old GM front 12" rotors have a casting # 10097654 on the back side of the rotor. I don't have any old rears lying around so I don't have that part #.

turbota 08-06-2001 08:07 AM

Re: Is there a difference? (chaos on wheels)

I can tell you for sure that they are not interchangeable. Why would you want to do this anyway.