CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   need opinions, is this a good price (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/128341-need-opinions-is-this-a-good-price.html)

n1kki6 08-05-2001 09:59 PM

need opinions, is this a good price

89' vette, 112,000, new tires, new brakes, new rotors, new heater core, new alternator, has sawblade rims on it. Interior is just about flawless. The guy is asking 8500 but is going through a divorce and said he wouldn't turn down anything reasonable. He also said that if he lets it sit for like a week, without driveing it when he first starts it some white smoke comes out of the exhaust. What could this be? What do you think the car is worth?

Blue 92 08-05-2001 10:26 PM

Re: need opinions, is this a good price (n1kki6)

You didn't post where you are from and prices vary a lot by region.

In central Ohio that wouldn't be a bad price if the car is clean and in good shape. The smoke is most likely from oil leaking down around the valve seals when the car sits. It's a common trait of small blakc Chevy motors and no big deal as long as it doesn't smoke after that.

MY 95 08-05-2001 11:16 PM

seems like a good deal. you could probably walk away for 7700

Paul T 08-05-2001 11:28 PM

$7,500-$8,000 would be fair, mileage is a bit high but seems like he did a lot of work on it, the smoke is probably a valve job needed.... Did you ask about oil useage?? If it only blows some smoke at start up after sitting a while it's no big deal but if he needs to add oil between oil changes a vavle job is coming soon....

n1kki6 08-05-2001 11:34 PM

he said it doesn't burn oil, so it should eb allright.

corvettemaster 08-05-2001 11:40 PM

Re: need opinions, is this a good price (Blue 92)

You didn't post where you are from and prices vary a lot by region.
Isn't that the truth! I live in Central Kentucky, and you can't find a late model C4(except 84's & 85's) for under $10,000, even if they have high mileage. That is why I will probably purchase one out of state.

McShagger 08-06-2001 01:00 AM

Re: need opinions, is this a good price (Paul T)

For California, that sounds pretty reasonable.

Paul T,

Your vette is gorgious. :cheers:

NoWorries 08-06-2001 02:43 AM

White smoke could be :eek: But its probably not that much of a problem if it takes a week. Is it humid there? If so, sounds like just condensation.

But, if the smoke is black/blue, :eek: Valve job...=$$$

Sounds like a good price though, I'd offer about $8K.

n1kki6 08-06-2001 03:26 AM

the only thing i am concerned about is when i hammered it from a stop the wheels didn't cut loose, I figured in an l98 when you gunned it it should spin for a while. There are brand new dunlops on the back but i still thought it should be a little stronger.

Jason 08-06-2001 03:52 AM

the only thing i am concerned about is when i hammered it from a stop the wheels didn't cut loose, I figured in an l98 when you gunned it it should spin for a while. There are brand new dunlops on the back but i still thought it should be a little stronger.
Depends on the rear end gears.