CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Serv. Tire Mon. Syst. on DIC (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1284428-serv-tire-mon-syst-on-dic.html)

mdroi 01-17-2006 09:46 PM

Serv. Tire Mon. Syst. on DIC

Hi Guys,

Need help on this problem. My tire monitors was fine couple days ago when I last drove it. Well, this morning, I wanted to take the Vette to work, and this is what I saw on the DIC - Serv. Tire Mon. Syst. At first, I thought the tires must be cold and it couldn't read the pressure. Well, drove all day and still got that message. Are my tire sensors all bad, or they're out of battery? Thanks in advance.

PS...car is 2000 MY vert w/21K mi...hardly driven the car, so tire sensors should still be alright then, right?

Dan_the_C5_Man 01-17-2006 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by mdroi
Hi Guys,

Need help on this problem. My tire monitors was fine couple days ago when I last drove it. Well, this morning, I wanted to take the Vette to work, and this is what I saw on the DIC - Serv. Tire Mon. Syst. At first, I thought the tires must be cold and it couldn't read the pressure. Well, drove all day and still got that message. Are my tire sensors all bad, or they're out of battery? Thanks in advance.

PS...car is 2000 MY vert w/21K mi...hardly driven the car, so tire sensors should still be alright then, right?

Keep in mind a single tire sensor will cause this message to be displayed. Scroll though the DIC (gauges) and see if it's a single sensor.

Your car is certainly old enough for the batteries in the TPM sensors to die; BTW, you aren't necessarily doing yourself any favors with the super-low miles.. You'd be surprised the issues cause by lack of use. :cheers:

Patman 01-18-2006 06:29 AM

I got this message yesterday for the first time too, and the right front pressure was only shown as xxx. But after a few minutes it went back to normal. I hope it's just a temporary glitch (like I often get with the service ABS or reduced engine power codes) because getting a new tire pressure sensor up here costs about $300 including labor. (I broke one of them last year so I found out the hard way how much it costs)

MHVette 01-18-2006 10:41 AM

My Left Rear sets of my DIC almost every day in the winter time. I've had the LR one replaced and still did the same thing. I've noticed I just need to get going over 60 for a mile or so &/or let the tire warm up. Just clear it out and move on! :thumbs:

99 vett babycar 01-18-2006 10:45 AM

it's a sign that your battery is going - they're supposed to last about 5-6 years so you're right on schedule. When you buy replacements be aware that there are 2 types - make SURE you get the ones for your year.

ST-rider 01-18-2006 10:51 AM

it may be the battery or a glitch but still check your air pressure manually to be sure.

Evil-Twin 01-18-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I got this message yesterday for the first time too, and the right front pressure was only shown as xxx. But after a few minutes it went back to normal. I hope it's just a temporary glitch (like I often get with the service ABS or reduced engine power codes) because getting a new tire pressure sensor up here costs about $300 including labor. (I broke one of them last year so I found out the hard way how much it costs)

Wheel sensors are 85 dollars each for 97-99 . The chaepest place to buy them is from Gene Culley at Fred Beans. He is a great guy and supporting forum vendor. Real old time personal service\ I am almost positive he will ship to Canada.

Gene Culley
gculley@fredbeans.com

PaPaChoc 01-18-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MHVette
My Left Rear sets of my DIC almost every day in the winter time. I've had the LR one replaced and still did the same thing. I've noticed I just need to get going over 60 for a mile or so &/or let the tire warm up. Just clear it out and move on! :thumbs:

Must be a LR thing. Mine comes and goes so much I usually just hit reset and go on. I guess eventually I'll have to have them (it) replaced.

Billdog350 01-18-2006 03:53 PM

If it makes you guys feel better, here in the Northeast on a cold day, my warning goes off for all 4 tires and freaks that the pressure is too low. After driving for a few minutes they warm up and the pressure increases to 27-30lbs and the warnings stop.

I've been running my tires a bit lower to try to wear down the outer tread since the middle of the rears is about half as deep as the edges....I guess if I added a few PSI the warnings wouldn't come on as often.

PaPaChoc 01-20-2006 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Billdog350
If it makes you guys feel better, here in the Northeast on a cold day, my warning goes off for all 4 tires and freaks that the pressure is too low. After driving for a few minutes they warm up and the pressure increases to 27-30lbs and the warnings stop.

I've been running my tires a bit lower to try to wear down the outer tread since the middle of the rears is about half as deep as the edges....I guess if I added a few PSI the warnings wouldn't come on as often.

A low pressure warning and "Service tire monitoring system” is two different things. Usually on the “service” you will find one of the tires XXXXX. Mine is always the LR.