CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   2002 C5 Chrome rims cracking? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1286295-2002-c5-chrome-rims-cracking.html)

dmo55ford 01-19-2006 09:35 PM

2002 C5 Chrome rims cracking?

I have stock rims on my 2002 and today I noticed the left rear has a crack going from the inside of the spoke to the outside edge. Can't tell if it is just the chrome or the spoke is cracking. Rims have never been hit or curbed. Anyone else have or heard this problem? Any idea on best way to check the rim?

Thanks

Dennis

fdxpilot 01-20-2006 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by dmo55ford
I have stock rims on my 2002 and today I noticed the left rear has a crack going from the inside of the spoke to the outside edge. Can't tell if it is just the chrome or the spoke is cracking. Rims have never been hit or curbed. Anyone else have or heard this problem? Any idea on best way to check the rim?

Thanks

Dennis

If you have chrome, the wheels are NOT stock. No C5s came with stock chrome. If you got it new with those rims, take it back to the dealer, because he installed some bad chromies.

unstressed 01-20-2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
If you have chrome, the wheels are NOT stock. No C5s came with stock chrome. If you got it new with those rims, take it back to the dealer, because he installed some bad chromies.

You can take stock wheels and get them chromed. I have chrome speedlines on my car.

I would not mess with a cracked rim, I would get a replacement ASAP. Even if just the chrome is cracked, the rim must have flexed to crack the chrome, hence the structural integrity of the wheel is gone.

vetterdstr 01-20-2006 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by unstressed
I would not mess with a cracked rim, I would get a replacement ASAP. Even if just the chrome is cracked, the rim must have flexed to crack the chrome, hence the structural integrity of the wheel is gone.

:iagree: :thumbs:

mph1972 01-20-2006 06:40 AM

You can take stock wheels and get them chromed. I have chrome speedlines on my car.

:iagree: :(

c-5-steve 01-20-2006 10:28 AM

I have read that there was a cracking problem with some of the "thin spoke" wheels. I think it was the 2000 style. Later, GM made the spokes a little thicker to combat this problem. The wheels in question are the alum. ones, which is what I have, I always keep an eye on mine just incase. :(

RTSVET 01-20-2006 10:31 AM

:iagree:

Vetteman Jack 01-20-2006 01:15 PM

Very good advice. Not worth taking the change of a wheel failure at speed.

Ragin'Cajun 01-20-2006 01:47 PM

I have an 02, with polished stock wheels that have not been curbed either and my left rear developed a crack about 3 months ago. The dealers were very suspect of it at first, and even tryed to say it could have happened mounting the tires if I had done so at an "unapproved location" -- gave me a bunch of bull. But in the end they replaced the wheel on GM's bill. Mine looked just like what you are describing and it is a crack in the wheel itself, get this fixed ASAP.

There are others who have had this problem also, see if you can search for the topic.

dmo55ford 01-24-2006 04:25 PM

Got another one

Thanks for all the replys. Went out to double check my wheels and now the right rear has a crack in the same place as the left. I don't know if these are the thin or thick spoke. At the tire place I saw a 2000 in the shop and he was getting his cracked rears replaced too. Hopefully it is just the 9.5 rears.

D

Halfway 01-24-2006 05:40 PM

Thanks for all the replys. Went out to double check my wheels and now the right rear has a crack in the same place as the left. I don't know if these are the thin or thick spoke. At the tire place I saw a 2000 in the shop and he was getting his cracked rears replaced too. Hopefully it is just the 9.5 rears.

D

Scary considering I just bought a used set of these today. Going to look those f'ers over REAL good when they get here!

dmo55ford 02-01-2006 10:35 AM

reported problem

I filed a complaint with the NHSTA. Anyone know of how to get hold of Chevrolet to discuss with them? These are GM rims that should never have cracked. Thanks

\D

Mike Mercury 02-01-2006 10:51 AM

I filed a complaint with the NHSTA. Anyone know of how to get hold of Chevrolet to discuss with them? These are GM rims that should never have cracked. Thanks

\D

good luck.

If the wheels aren't factory stock - or if they're factory stock that have been altered in any way... your NHSTA complaint will fall on deaf ears.

fdxpilot 02-01-2006 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
good luck.

If the wheels aren't factory stock - or if they're factory stock that have been altered in any way... your NHSTA complaint will fall on deaf ears.

And since they're chrome, they're not stock GM from the factory.

SpeedUp 02-01-2006 12:23 PM

Thanks

Dennis

Can you post a pic of this ? I have an 02 with chrome wheels from dealer. I'd like to see what your talking about.

thanks!

dmo55ford 02-01-2006 10:50 PM

Pictures

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try and post them

Chumsicle 02-02-2006 12:14 AM

Both my rear stock rims from my 2002 have the hairline cracks where the spokes meet the outer edge of the wheels. I posted a pic awhile back, but can't seem to find the thread anymore. Seems to be common problem.

bluemax1724 02-02-2006 01:04 AM

\D

Try this number. The Chevrolet Motor Division 1-800-222-1020. Hope this helps. :flag:

edensknight 02-02-2006 03:40 AM

Did you call the Chevy Moto Div. yet, or, a regional chevy dealer rep? Hang in there. Be persistent with the dealership regarding replacing the faulty wheels.

SpeedUp 02-02-2006 09:14 AM

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try and post them

If you cant post them, please email them to me at spears88836@hotmail.com and I will post them here if anyone else is interested.

Thanks!