CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Northern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california-126/)
-   -   All Corvette Autocross 03/05/06 Marina (Monterey), CA (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california/1288648-all-corvette-autocross-03-05-06-marina-monterey-ca.html)

doje 01-22-2006 07:09 PM

All Corvette Autocross 03/05/06 Marina (Monterey), CA

IF YOU ARE ATTENDING THE AUTO-X, CHECK THIS OUT ALSO: LINK

There will be an all Corvettes Autocross held at the Marina Municipal Airport in Marina, CA (just north of Monterey) on March 5th. Registration begins at 8am. Driving starts at 9:00am. Price $35. Trophies will be awarded the same day.

For those that have not attended a Marina event, this is the premier location for autocross. It is a large, flat as glass, concrete helicopter pad. There are no fences or buildings nearby, so you don't have to worry about hitting anything - other than killing a few cones! :crazy: If you've done it before, we already know you'll be there. If you havn't, try it - you'll love it.

Please post if you would like to attend, as we need to plan how many run groups we will be doing.

:steering: :auto: :steering:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...cideSlalom.jpg

HELMETS REQUIRED

Here are the apparant participants so far....

doje
doje's wife :crazy:
tjZ06
Racin Z06
Homer3D
StArrow68
C4ragtop
andy82
#001 2001 Z06
Miguels
LouieM
chaos on wheels
97C5driver
napacruzerc5
Old Yeller2
mxk
00shark
Quikturn
Speed Trap
doubledeuce

Any I missed?

Originally Posted by tjZ06
So...? ;) :D

-TJ

OKOKOK, you twisted my arm. I had to wait and give my own club members the first shot at this, but FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR A BIG BONUS OFFER :cheers:

tjZ06 01-22-2006 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by doje
Please post if you would like to attend, as we need to plan how many run groups we will be doing.

:steering: :auto: :steering:

It's a little early to say 100% for sure, but I think I'll be there!

-TJ

Racin Z06 01-22-2006 10:29 PM

We'll be there. :cheers:

Dave

doje 01-22-2006 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Racin Z06
We'll be there. :cheers:

Dave

Dave,
looks like it might be time to update your profile :eek:

Homer3D 01-23-2006 11:07 AM

Is this place beginner friendly?? I have never been Autox'ing. :willy:

doje 01-23-2006 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Is this place beginner friendly?? I have never been Autox'ing. :willy:

Absolutely. In fact, because of the smooth surface with no elevation changes, this is the ideal beginners place.

For those that have never done an SCC Auto-X, you are alone on the track so that you can't hit any other cars. You are just racing for time. The "track" is a well-defined course made up from cones, so there is little to no risk of damaging your car. It gives you the chance to push your car to the limits, and if you spin out - who cares? So, you knocked over a cone. Better than testing the limits on the street and hitting a curb instead :eek:

Here's a picture of the "track" that a CF member took in October...

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/89p...2forumsize.jpg

StArrow68 01-23-2006 01:14 PM

And yes, from a beginner perspective figuring out where to go with all those cones out there is not the easiest thing to do. On the other hand walking the course early and getting inputs from others really helps the first time you go out. It is a real kick and there are always many who like to help out new entrants. Enjoy it!
Randy

pablocruise 01-23-2006 02:01 PM

Hey, that black C4 looks familiar:D
Homer(and other 1st timers):
You really should go! It is ALOT of fun!!!!!!
Well worth the trip!!!!
These things are put on by Santa Clara corvettes, check them out here:
www.sccorvettes.org
click on event photos.
Here is another shot I took:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/89paulincal//_12.jpg

Some tips:
Make sure your car is mechanically sound and fit. There will be a tech inspection. Have all fluids up to their proper levels, make sure ya have enough brake pad, brake fluid topped off, no loose objects in the interior.....
Take a helmet. I think there is a loaner or two available or just borrow one. Take a windbreaker and sunscreen. It is usually cool and foggy in the morning session and quite windy but sunny in the afternoon session. There is a morning session, and an afternoon session followed sometimes by open session.
You will have to "work" in order to "run". I recommend you "work" first and "run" after. Example: if you sign up for the morning session, you will probably sign up as "work group 1, run group 2".
Basically, you go with 2 other people to a "station" on the course. One guy has a flag(usually not a 1st timer), one guy has the walkie-talkie(to report to main control of any spin-outs or situations), and a third person to watch the other two's backs. Safety! All 3 of you are always looking out for each other from cars
After you sign up, walk the course with the other participants and try to memorize the layout.
When it's your session/time to run, keep an eye out for flaggers. There will be maybe 2 or 3 other cars running on the course at the same time but spaced out with enough distance between everyone. In case someone spins or something, watch for a flagger telling you to stop or slow down. Abort run if need be. You will get a make-up run. No pressure!
The guy at the very end of the course will give you your time slip.
I think you get 3 runs in a session. Most important of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!

Vestor 01-23-2006 04:35 PM

I'm planning on attending!

doje 01-24-2006 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by StArrow68
And yes, from a beginner perspective figuring out where to go with all those cones out there is not the easiest thing to do. On the other hand walking the course early and getting inputs from others really helps the first time you go out. It is a real kick and there are always many who like to help out new entrants. Enjoy it!
Randy

Actually, a few of the real pro's complain that we put out too many courses, so the course can be too easy to follow. We double cone all the apexes (turns) and use pointer cones. Of course, some of our members are so used to our easy to follow designs that they complain that other courses are too hard to follow :crazy:

flaagan 01-24-2006 06:13 AM

Regardless of whether my car's in good enough shape to participate or not when this rolls around, gonna keep my ear on this. May just show up and put my DV camcorder to good use! :thumbs:

2EZ2BQK 01-24-2006 12:11 PM

Dave, can you give me some examples of what distinguishes Stock and Stock Prepared?

doje 01-24-2006 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2EZ2BQK
Dave, can you give me some examples of what distinguishes Stock and Stock Prepared?

WSCC (our sanctioning body) has multiple classes for each generation. The details are in their bylaws here....

http://www.wscc.ws/2006%20WSCC%20Bylawsc.pdf
^^^ starts on page 32, which is page 42 of the PDF^^^

I can tell you that for stock class, you can use DOT approved stock sized tires down to 100 treadwear. Anything below 100 puts you in the next class. You can also change your front swaybar. You can change exhaust behind the cats, but you can't touch the cats or put on headers. You can't change the air intake. The inside of the fenders can be tubbed, but the outside must be original. "Transmission shift linkage may be changed". Removable top can be removed. Car can be lowered on stock bolts. That's about it. Anything else, and you are jumping at least one class.

tjZ06 01-24-2006 01:36 PM

WSCC (our sanctioning body) has multiple classes for each generation. The details are in their bylaws here....

http://www.wscc.ws/2006%20WSCC%20Bylawsc.pdf
^^^ starts on page 32, which is page 42 of the PDF^^^

I checked out your page and wasn't exactly sure where my car would class, would you mind helping out?

My car is a '02 Z06 with the following...
  • Cartek Built Forged 348cui LS6
  • Kooks LTs w/ ORX
  • FAST 90mm Intake/Nick Williams 90mm TB
  • Full Aray of Bolt-Ons (CAI, Underdrive Pulley, etc. etc.)
  • Custom PCV Setup
  • Upgraded Radiator/Oil Cooler
  • PS Cooler
  • Cartek Stage VII Clutch
  • Fidanza Billet AL Flywheel
  • T1 Sway Bars
  • '04 Sachs Shocks
  • Lowered/Corner Weighted (not stock bolts)

There's probably some other little things I forgot too, but nothing major that would effect classing more than those big things I can think of. Oh, and I'd be running 17x11 "ZR1" style wheels w/ 315/35-17 Kuhmo V710s at all four corners.

-TJ

2EZ2BQK 01-24-2006 01:51 PM

You can't change the air intake.

Probably would have a Halltech Stinger on by then, so that'd make it Stock Prepared.

Thanks!

2EZ

andy82 01-24-2006 07:39 PM

I checked out your page and wasn't exactly sure where my car would class, would you mind helping out?

My car is a '02 Z06 with the following...
[list][*]Cartek Built Forged 348cui LS6[*]Kooks LTs w/ ORX[*]FAST

Class E3 - internal engine mods

Andy

tjZ06 01-24-2006 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by andy82

Andy

I guess I better hope nobody brings out a C5R. ;) :willy:

-TJ

doje 01-24-2006 07:46 PM

Andy

:iagree: Thanks Andy :thumbs:

andy82 01-25-2006 12:19 AM

I guess I better hope nobody brings out a C5R. ;) :willy:

-TJ

Its 50% driving technique, HP does not help too much. Suspension, tires and brakes help. Other than that, have fun! :cheers:

tjZ06 01-25-2006 01:17 AM

Its 50% driving technique, HP does not help too much. Suspension, tires and brakes help. Other than that, have fun! :cheers:

I'm sure my HP will be of little use over stock HP at a Marina course. The car has a decent susp. setup (but Penskes would be nice to have) and good brakes.

However, I haven't AutoXed it yet. I AutoXed the snot out of my '99 Z/28 and had it running with the top 1/3 of SS Z06s. The Z/28 required somewhat of a ham-fisted driving style and a sensative foot on the brakes. It'd wheel-hop hard under hard braking. Also, my stock T2 (not T2R) was mostly gone so it'd one-leg off the tighter turns. Now I have much more HP and a good diff. so I'll have to learn to be lighter on the throttle out of turns. Also, the C5s are known for trailing throttle over-steer (I'm sure I don't need to tell ya'll that) though my susp. and wheel/tire combo should have a fair amount of that tuned out.

Oh, and the C5R comment was a joke. If somebody like Ken (I forget his last name, big dude who had a few Fbodies before his Z06) who's solid in SS comes out I don't expect to even run w/ a "lower classed" car. Sure I might have ~80RWHP but his Penskes and waaaaaay more experience w/ his car will surely put him on top.

-TJ