CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Some Steering Box Pic's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1345411-some-steering-box-pics.html)

GTR1999 03-25-2006 02:05 PM

Some Steering Box Pic's

gone

rosslato 03-25-2006 02:40 PM

Gary, what approximately is the turnaround time if i sent u my steering box?

Tonys96 03-25-2006 02:41 PM

Good info, nice pics.

Eddie 70 03-25-2006 03:10 PM

As always, great pics and good tips. Almost makes me want to go out and tear into my steering box setting on the shelf just try and do the job my self. Thanks for the post Gary.

Maine Vette 03-25-2006 03:13 PM

Hey, where was this post three months ago when I was overhauling my steering box? :toetap: :toetap:

Just kidding! :lol: As always there's some great info in there Gary. Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

Maine Vette 03-25-2006 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Hum, I think I was doing trailing arms!LOL

:lol: Yeah, I guess that was about three months ago wasn't it! :thumbs:

goinbroke 03-25-2006 06:16 PM

Great post Gary. Like Eddie....makes me want to tear into mine. You forget....I'm retired now and supposed to be taking it easy....and here ya go putting ideas into my head again..... :D .

JoeRags 03-25-2006 09:34 PM

My steering is very sloppy.... the guy we bought our frame from told us the steering bos was "rebuilt." After driving the car 6 years later, after the whole resto... its crap.

Whats average cost to rebuild if the gears are good? and if it needs new gears?

Im right up the street from you... I may be interested.

Joe

steves_77vette 03-25-2006 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JoeRags
My steering is very sloppy.... the guy we bought our frame from told us the steering bos was "rebuilt." After driving the car 6 years later, after the whole resto... its crap.

Whats average cost to rebuild if the gears are good? and if it needs new gears?

Im right up the street from you... I may be interested.

Joe

Before assuming it's the steering box, check the power steering control valve as well. You can get some slop from that piece as well.

myoriginal77 03-25-2006 10:29 PM

Hello Gary, whats the cost to do a rebuild? I don't have mine apart yet but might be ready in a couple weeks. You can contact me directly at; frank@itpphoto.com

Thanks,
Frank

JoeRags 03-25-2006 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by steves_77vette
Before assuming it's the steering box, check the power steering control valve as well. You can get some slop from that piece as well.

Thanks, I'll do that. What do I look for while inspecting it? I would imagine is has to be disassembled, no?

Thanks.

rihwoods 03-26-2006 12:10 AM

Great thread...was just reading article about steering gear boxes..but yours is dynamite...:thumbs:
Rich

comp 03-26-2006 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tonys96
Good info, nice pics.

:iagree: :thumbs:

steves_77vette 03-26-2006 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoeRags
Thanks, I'll do that. What do I look for while inspecting it? I would imagine is has to be disassembled, no?

Thanks.

No. You start by watching the slave cylinder movement while someone turns the steering wheel. You want to see how much steering wheel movement it takes before seeing movement in the slave cylinder. Keep your eyes on the arm of the steering box at the same time to see if it's moving before seeing movement in the slave cylinder.

evil herbavore 03-26-2006 10:14 AM

This is one of those gems of a thread. Let me be one of those to say thanks.

comp 04-08-2006 02:36 PM

:thumbs:

Driver 61 04-09-2006 06:49 AM

Steering Column length

Gary
Nice pics & info. My '61 has a replacement box & column, It stick out 2-3" behond the dash. I think it's from an early C1 . What would you suggest? The vette steer is good, just steering wheel extension behond the dash,
Thanks Rich

jetvette 04-09-2006 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Thanks guys, I appreciate the response and hope it helps you out.

:thumbs: Thx Gary, so much information and pic's too. I was just this week discussing steering rebuilds but we were more into the power systems than the box. Now after reading your visual inspection post, I do have an issue with the box's response vs the movement of the steering wheel. So, the box is on my list also.

I have a question if you wouldn't mind responding when you have the time. Will you discuss a bit the broad spread of steering ratios? ie: 12:1 to 22:1 and in between. Any positive or negative reasons? Probably racing and autocrossing applications fit in here somewhere. Is there any reason for changing the stock ratio, whatever that may be on my '78 L48/TH350? I do like what I have, but have nothing else to compare.

Thank-you again,

DOUG... :flag:

drd1vette 04-10-2006 07:24 PM

Wow, thanks for this thread. I started a thread a couple weeks ago aout this and got so busy I couldn't check replies until today and found this first. Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Gr8Wht 04-10-2006 08:43 PM

Gary - Seems like you've been busy. Great thread! :rofl: I will probably end up sending you my box also. Ever rebuilt a power steering valve? Mine is leaking... :ack: