CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Paint Quality (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1346109-paint-quality.html)

nikic6 03-26-2006 11:45 AM

Paint Quality

I picked up my new C-6 Monterey Red Coupe on Friday. I had read in magazines and on the forum that the paint quality on the C-6es was not up to par. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that my cars paint is near perfect. No orange peel or any other paint defects. Hopefully this is a sign that the General has gotten his act together on paint quality.

mpuzach 03-26-2006 12:00 PM

Many here have complained about the paint quality on their C6s but I haven't seen the problems. I'm very pleased with the paint job on my Machine Silver '05 coupe.

scrannel 03-26-2006 12:58 PM

I have seen the problems complained about. When shopping for my black Vert, must have looked at dozens of C6s (Southern and Northern CA) and I would say easily 65% of them had paint I could not live with. You did good.

Blue Demon 03-26-2006 01:06 PM

You guys are very lucky, my '06 LeMans Blue has orange peel pretty bad.

mykal 03-26-2006 05:03 PM

Agreed...you guys are lucky. I've got worse orange-peel on my black C6 than I did on my black 00 Z28...

cthusker 03-26-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by scrannel
I have seen the problems complained about. When shopping for my black Vert, must have looked at dozens of C6s (Southern and Northern CA) and I would say easily 65% of them had paint I could not live with. You did good.

My dealer had a Black one that was horrible. OP up the wazzoo... very very noticeable. I would have never accepted the paint on this car! I’m surprised the dealer did… but someone that doesn’t know anything about anything will probably buy it anyway... :banghead:

northernplus 03-26-2006 05:42 PM

My Machine Silver as a 2 inch length oval area at the very back of the hood that contrasts with the rest of the paint on the hood. Like a spray nozzle "dripped" instead of sprayed. Saw it immediately when I went to pick up the car. (There is orange peel in places too but I almost expected some of that too based on other posts before I ever order the Vet.)

The dealer said no problem. We will fix that. Want to make an appointment now? Well, I am a busy self-employed guy. That was December. I wanted a second opinion. Last week I stopped to talk to the new owner of a body shop that I had done work for me for years. (Actually they bought this location as they were "zoned" out of their previous location.) His personal opinion was to leave it alone. "It will never be the same, and for the area to blend it properly, one would have to go into the top of one fender too."

Is it the fiber glass or what? I never saw this problem on any other GM cars that I ever purchased?

70Nav 03-26-2006 05:45 PM

The paint on my LMB convertible is great - no complaints here!
:thumbs: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:

donsar 03-26-2006 05:59 PM

There have been very few, if any, complaints about Monterey Red paint jobs that I have read about on the forum. Liitle if any orange peel, at least on mine

xs650 03-26-2006 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by donsar
There have been very few, if any, complaints about Monterey Red paint jobs that I have read about on the forum. Liitle if any orange peel, at least on mine

That's interesting, since the big majority of the orange peel you see is in the clear coat.

Blue Demon 03-26-2006 06:48 PM

Several C6 owners in the two local Corvette Clubs I belong to say theirs do not have any orange peel. Well, when I see their cars I see it very obviously.

ssj4 03-26-2006 06:53 PM

Didn't really think too

much about orange peel. Knew about it, but didn't inspect closely. After a few coats of zaino (this stuff really highlights everything - including defects), I think I'm gonna call my car FO - for florida orange. not really that bad, but a huge difference between this and german painting.

RickCarn 03-26-2006 07:28 PM

My LMB 06 coupe has it all over. About the same as our old 2002 Dodge Intrepid. I can live with it, but I would think that GM could do better.

Vette_DD 03-26-2006 08:10 PM

Moderate amount of orange peel on my PR 05 coupe (traded). Less orange peel on my Silver 05 coupe.

fenderowner 03-26-2006 08:23 PM

Get used to orange peel, folks. I'm afraid we're stuck with it no matter what make of vehicle you buy (just inspected my friend's Rousch Gen II F150 Ford pickup, and it's got orange peel, and I've seen some Lexus and BMWs with it, too). Pro painters say it's the result of the EPA crap that regulates what you can put in production line auto paints these days. About the only way to eliminate orange peel is to use lacquer-based paints. I think what we are seeing is that all cars from now on will have some amount orange peel: just some more than others. Also, the darker colors will show it more readily (i.e., LMB, black).

If it really bothers you, you can pay a pro to color sand your clearcoat, and that will get rid of the majority of it. Don't know what the going rate is everywhere, but around here some people have payed around $700 for a color sand and wax, and you can really tell the difference!

By the way, you can get an excellent description of why orange peel shows up on corvettes HERE.

BT ZR1 03-27-2006 07:40 AM

06 machine silver , paint is flawless.

Bville-Bud 03-27-2006 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
Several C6 owners in the two local Corvette Clubs I belong to say theirs do not have any orange peel. Well, when I see their cars I see it very obviously.

:iagree:

I have never seen a C6 without OP. My dad was a body man and I am sure that I have sanded 1000 cars in my youth so I am picky, but GM really needs to get on the ball on C6 paint.

MyRedC6 03-27-2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Many here have complained about the paint quality on their C6s but I haven't seen the problems. I'm very pleased with the paint job on my Machine Silver '05 coupe.

:iagree: I have the VR and am happy with the quality

Low Rider 03-27-2006 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 70Nav
The paint on my LMB convertible is great - no complaints here!
:thumbs: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:

:iagree: :cheers: :cheers: :iagree: ...Same on my Millennium Yellow

Blair_05_MD 03-27-2006 09:29 AM

I have a Magnetic Red 05 and it's the best paint I have seen on a car with such a large production number. I think GM did an excellent job.