CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   C2 - I can start my car without a key (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1362333-c2-i-can-start-my-car-without-a-key.html)

robmiester 04-11-2006 09:35 PM

C2 - I can start my car without a key

I can turn the ignition on and start the car without a key. Do I need a new lock cylinder? Or should I take to a locksmith, or is this something I can do myself?

67L36Driver 04-11-2006 09:59 PM

Do I need a new lock cylinder?
No. Try turning it all the way to the 'Lock' position and then take the key out and try it. Early Chebbys all the key was used for was to 'Lock' the switch.:flag:

nassau66427 04-11-2006 10:00 PM

Is this after you turn the key to the "lock" position before removing it?

pittsaj 04-11-2006 10:00 PM

You don't indicate the year, but make sure you are turning the key all the way to lock.
You can remove the key while it is in the Off position.
Turn farther left to Lock and try again

robmiester 04-11-2006 11:43 PM

That was it!

You guys rock!!!!

That was it, not turning it to lock.

Thanks.

Jack60 04-12-2006 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by robmiester
You guys rock!!!!

That was it, not turning it to lock.

Thanks.

Kids:willy: I love it:D

No disrespect, remember if you have it in gear and don't put clutch in, it will move. Their were alot of { safety things added to newer cars }.

vtwinkurt 04-12-2006 12:46 AM

I have the same problem but my key will not turn to the lock position. When I try to turn it left past off it just stops. Also how do you remove the ignition, the lock nut on the front of the dash is bigger than the "ears" that the key fits in. I see two small holes on the front but not sure how its done. One more question, my key looks new and has a small tag with it that says (Mexico record number & destroy tag) then four numbers that I assume is the code to make keys for my car. Where did this come from? Kurt

Brutal64 04-12-2006 09:29 AM

Be careful you don't turn it past lock into the Acc position because you can remove the key in that position as well and you will end up with a dead battery. Guess how I know that.

lovevettes 04-12-2006 10:21 AM

Ignition Switch

VTWINKURT---- To remove the ignition switch cyl. -------
I have a 1960 , there is one small hole next to the "ears" get a
paper clip , open it up put the end into that hole , the ign. key must
be in the cyl. turn the key and the paper clip to the Left [Counter-clock wise] then
pull the cyl. toward you , should come out . Hope this helps

robmiester 04-12-2006 10:25 AM

There are two key types

Originally Posted by vtwinkurt
I have the same problem but my key will not turn to the lock position. When I try to turn it left past off it just stops.

Kurt, my '64 has two key types, Round and Octogon. If I use the Round in the "off" position the ignition "works" (starts) but I cannot move it to "lock". In reality the ignition works with or without a key, so it is really not "working" with the round key (its a gag, a hoax, a trick).

With the Octogon key I can move past "off" to "Lock" or "Acc". Once in lock with the Oct. key removed, the round key will not work.

I would say you need a different key.

HTH
(I'm just learning all of this, as I am the one who started the thread)

robmiester 04-12-2006 10:34 AM

Rtfm !!!!!

Originally Posted by Brutal64
Be careful you don't turn it past lock into the Acc position because you can remove the key in that position as well and you will end up with a dead battery. Guess how I know that.

Wow, I should have RTFM!!! Now looking at it I see how the ignition works:crazy:

Now here is the next issue, this relates to Brutal64's quote and my experience.

From the owners manual:
NOTE: Key cannot be removed from the ignition switch when in OFF or ACC position, thus guarding against accidently leaving switch OFF but not locked. Key may be removed when the switch is in LOCK or ON position and the switch may be moved between ON and OFF positions without the key.

Problem:
I can remove the key when it is in OFF or ACC. According to the manual this should not happen.

How do you fix this?

~RW

vtwinkurt 04-12-2006 11:04 AM

I tried putting the octagon key in and a paper clip in the holes on my 64 but nothing happened. not sure if the clip goes in both holes or just one. tried both ways. I think the key is wrong, do I need a lock smith to remove the ignition without the correct key? So if you loose your keys you can not remove the ignition to fix the problem, I think the mobile lock smiths designed this set up!

DansYellow66 04-12-2006 07:29 PM

There was a post about this back late last year. Strange that I grew up and started driving in the 60s and had no memory of this "Lock" feature. Great trivia.

Dan

stingrayl76 04-12-2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by vtwinkurt
I tried putting the octagon key in and a paper clip in the holes on my 64 but nothing happened. not sure if the clip goes in both holes or just one. tried both ways. I think the key is wrong, do I need a lock smith to remove the ignition without the correct key? So if you loose your keys you can not remove the ignition to fix the problem, I think the mobile lock smiths designed this set up!

Vtwinkurt,

The ignition switch has to be in the "Locked" position so the hole in the cylinder face will line up with the lock cylinder plunger. Once you get ot this point, turn the counterclockwise until the lock cylinder can be pulled out. Looks like you have the key to a different car. You either have to find the right key or call the locksmith.

Dave