CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Factory Correct Resto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto-77/)
-   -   71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto/1404184-71-coupe-show-or-ncrs-value.html)

Romak 05-28-2006 09:52 PM

71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value

My son and I are doing a frame off 71 coupe, 350/270, A/C, 4 speed. What is the difference in value if it is done to show quality vs NCRS quality? It is Nevada Silver w/ Blue interior. We have completely stripped the frame, and we are doing a total rebuild from bottom to top. I definitely intend to keep it original as it is a matching numbers car. The carb, starter, master cylinder, alternator and fuel pump has been replaced previously but other than that it is original. I just did not know if it is worth the expense to do all the chassis markings, replace the above items with correct replacements, getting all the bolts replated, correct hoses, belts, etc.

Please advise...we are at the point of having to decide.

Thanks,
Roger

early shark 05-29-2006 10:50 AM

Roger,

First of all, that color combination is pretty rare and a great one to have!
Usually the cost of restoration is pretty high, and most would opt for the rarest, most desireable optioned car to start with. I don't think the value difference between NCRS and show car would be that significant in your particular car. If it was an LS-6 or ZR-1 LT-1 version DEFINITELY.

The costs for those incorrect items is going to be fairly significant, and just don't warrant it for increased value on this model.

Easy Mike 05-30-2006 09:07 AM

Just my .02, but if she's matching numbers now and otherwise correct, I'd keep her that way.

PHulst 06-01-2006 02:34 AM

I have a very similar car. The carb and alternator will be quite tough to find, but the rest of the parts are easy to acquire.

I don't think it will cost you that much more to do it "right" than to do it any other way. You'll have to make dollar-versus-points decisions along the way, but no one will ever degrade your car for being correct. In addition, you'll never then say "I wish we had..."

That is an unusual and beautiful color combination, too.

Good luck!

Greg Gore 06-01-2006 04:49 PM

It requires more knowledge, skill and effort (and possibly cash) to do a good NCRS restoration but the rewards (and awards), the cars value and the sense of accomplishment are greater too. A show quality restoration is wide open to interpretation but generally it means the restorer is not recognizing any particular set of standards and the result is usually a car that is over restored to a condition GM never built. Show quality is appealing to many because they will be driven anyway and over restoring is easier for the novice to do than authentic restoration. A person's first restoration attempt is usually one of over restoring. It takes experience to do an authentic restoration which is why the shops who have built up the good reputations doing this are usually backed up with long waiting lists.

Red70vette 06-01-2006 08:06 PM

Since it is a base engine model its value is somewhat limited to begin with but it would be worth more as an NCRS restoration.

Now if you really want to make it valuable convert it to a big block, restamp the engine, fake the documentation and take the wheel barrow to the bank.

jr9170 06-08-2006 05:50 PM

That is a very rare color combo,i would restore it to factory..:yesnod: