CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 vs. BMW Z3? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1453997-c6-vs-bmw-z3.html)

Walt White Coupe 07-25-2006 12:55 PM

I've had many more problems with my BMW's than my C6.
(99 Z3 Coupe:sold, 01 3 series wagon)

JohnnyB51 07-25-2006 12:57 PM

People often respond with "Why?"

I'd just tell them "If you knew anything at all about cars, you'd know 'why?' ".

I also question the realibility of a BMW over a Vette.

djfullshred 07-25-2006 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ketchup
The people that say those comments are car snobs. They buy cars based on status. Don't worry about it. We all know you have the better car.

True that. Some people buy a car because they know all about cars & how different models compare in the real world, and some people buy a car because it has a brand name, flashy commercials, and they have the "I've arrived" status symbol. Maybe some people just like the slogans. Ultimate Driving Machine - pretty cool slogan! :lol:

Dueysan 07-25-2006 01:03 PM

The BMW Z3 is a joke. When I read the title to the thread I thought it was gonna be a teaser which it was! Sneaky bastard! :lol:

The Z3 is a cute girl's car that's it and has some serious flaws in it's design. I'd rather own a Miata. Your right about BMW owners....snobs that think they drive to steal a term "the ultimate driving machines" Yawwwn. Just the other day saw a current gen 530i with out of state plates taking up three parking spaces at our local mall. I just laughed...does this clown think he's driving a Ferrari? Any of the offerings by Cadillac or the Japanese prestige labels are just as good, much better values, better styling too and cheaper to maintain.

DRJZ1974 07-25-2006 04:16 PM

Even my wife refers to the Z3 as a "cute" car, but she refers to the C6 as "handsome". Hahaha What guy wants to drive a "cute" car when they can drive a "handsome" one. Also, as a vette owner, we all wave at each other. When my wife and I had the Z3, no other Z3's waved. :thumbs:

FasterTraffic 07-25-2006 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
There seem to be two camps of thought: Those who don't know squat about cars and have built-in prejudices against Vettes, and those who do know about cars and understand what a great-performing car it is regardless of price. In the former category are people who think Vette owners are all middle-aged, balding, fat men who wear lots of gold chains and pinkie rings and smoke fat cigars. Some of us may be but that does not define the car. There are also those people who don't accept it as a great car because it has a fiberglass body. That prejudice is losing ground lately due to the fact that carbon fiber is considered an exotic material and it is not so different from fiberglass.

Some people won't be impressed by a Vette because it is not Italian, German or English.

So, if you bought your car hoping to be the envy of everyone and to impress the world, you'll find that there are plenty of ignorant people out there who simlpy do not appreciate the Corvette and dismiss it without even giving it a good, hard look. Screw em.

There's a third camp: The Corvette-4-Lyf group. Corvette Kool-Aid drinkers. However you want to describe them, everything you stated applies, just replace "Vette" with some other sports car.

double eagle 07-25-2006 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dueysan
Your right about BMW owners....snobs that think they drive to steal a term "the ultimate driving machines" Yawwwn.

Stereotyping...I was not a snob, my friend. ;)

Horst 07-25-2006 04:46 PM

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...mmates01-1.jpg

I keep the Z-3, but I did trade in the Mustang GT

tv_dir 07-25-2006 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rothchilds
thats what marketing will do for you. Put your latest and greatest in a popular movie, instant recognition. GM needs to severly think about using the Vette as an image builder and look for some product placements.

I understand they are using a C6 in the movie version of "The A-Team"
Not yet in production, but slated for release in 2008.

Perry Mason 07-25-2006 06:39 PM

How many of us here have had multiple Vettes in our lifetimes. My C6 is my fifth Corvette. There is a reason for that! We know that a lot of people do not like Corvette owners, for some reason. I don't particularly like those driving diesel passenger cars, even though I don't know the owner personally.

Brannon 07-25-2006 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sirgordon

I take an enormous amount of pride in buying american!!!

besides that, there isnt another car on the market that can touch the Vette as a package of performance, style and value. anyone that thinks a vette is a downgrade from a Z3, or any car, is a fool and needs to be dealt with. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir on this one.

Great reply. :thumbs: I've driven foreign cars as well, but feel great about buying and driving American. My wife sold her G35 Coupe in favor of a '05 GTO 6spd. After driving my C6 she just had to have a car with lots of torque and easy to mod. People thought she was nuts, but she couldn't care less.

CMacZ06 07-25-2006 07:02 PM

BMW's are excellent cars and most M3 owners I know (including me)aren't snobs but car enthusiasts. Now the Porsche guys, that's a completely different story.....

FasterTraffic 07-25-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Perry Mason
...We know that a lot of people do not like Corvette owners, for some reason...

I have some theories...

:leaving:

GN1270 07-25-2006 08:00 PM

Corvette is perceived as an extension of the male genetalia.
BMW is perceived as an extension of the wallett.

humvet 07-25-2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270

I have had many a gal say that vette guys are Lounge Lizards :smiliedrool: :eek:

maxmissy 07-25-2006 09:03 PM

After buying my C5, a guy ("car guy") at work asks me "why didn't you get a porsche boxster?, they're a lot faster". I said "well,no the corvette is actually much faster". He then went on with how an RX-8 was faster, etc, etc. I finally asked if he has ever ridden in a Corvette. Well, no he hadn't. Then, his credibility went downhill farther by saying that he used to drive his MG at 120 mph. Now I happed to own an MG (fun car) but even with hurricane force tailwinds going downhill an MG might hit 100 mph.
Moral: a lot of "car guys" don't know anything. I test drove an M Z3 and it in no way measures up to a Corvette. It is a nice roadster, but for me there was no comparison. As a matter of fact, I found the Honda S2000 better than either a boxster or z3.

djfullshred 07-25-2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by humvet
I have had many a gal say that vette guys are Lounge Lizards :smiliedrool: :eek:

It is a funny perception. I guess I can laugh because that shoe doesn't fit me. Whatever though - redneck, overweight, bald, gold chains, midlife crisis, etc. Those stereotypes mean nada to me (none apply).

Besides, I didn't buy my Corvette to impress BMW drivers...I bought my Corvette to pass BMW drivers! :lol:

tv_dir 07-25-2006 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270

When I had the BMW Z3 I was told it is a "girlie" car.

Now I have a C6 and it is an extension:eek:

In the immortal words of Rick Nelson's Garden Party: 'ya can't please everyone so ya, gotta please yourself '

chip4 07-25-2006 09:46 PM

I too sold My Mcoupe (aka Z3M) to get my C6, I do miss driving it around and knowing that it is such a rare car (~2000 made) and it was very reliable and tight handling but I love my Vet its performance is more than enough to sway me away from my rare Krautmobile,

Vet>Z3M
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/P1010072.jpg

Wayne O 07-25-2006 11:47 PM

I like BMWs and drove them for 20 years or so. Although I never drove a Z8....no other BMW I have driven had near the 'thrill factor' that the C6 has. I think many still have misconceptions about the true nature of a Corvette preferring to think that any BMW is superior. Ignorance is bliss. We, however, know the truth.