CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Front tire rubs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1468112-front-tire-rubs.html)

rwilkins 08-10-2006 08:24 AM

Front tire rubs

Help me out please. I made a sharp left turn and heard this rubbing sound. Is this a common condition?:ack: :eek:

BananaVett 08-10-2006 08:48 AM

You do not say what size tires you have, factory size or oversize tires?

rwilkins 08-10-2006 09:18 AM

Factory size..Goodyear Eagle F1

wamara 08-10-2006 10:22 AM

Then no it's not normal. Get it up on jack stands or a lift and see if you can tell what's rubbing (of course having weight on the wheel - compressing the suspension - may also be a factor). Good luck.

DeeGee 08-10-2006 10:23 AM

Are your wheel well covers properly secured? I visual inspection with the wheel still on will tell you that.

CCA Corvette Parts 08-10-2006 10:25 AM

Broken shock?

Peace
Willfulone

rwilkins 08-10-2006 12:29 PM

If the shock is broken, will there be any other tell-tale signs. Would it be more obvious? I mean it seems to handle fine...although this is my first vette(and sports car for that matter). It is a hardtop with the Z51 suspension package...make any difference? Bummer 'cause I wanted to show it off at my family(large) reunion this saturday about 50 miles from home.

CCA Corvette Parts 08-10-2006 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by rwilkins
If the shock is broken, will there be any other tell-tale signs. Would it be more obvious? I mean it seems to handle fine...although this is my first vette(and sports car for that matter). It is a hardtop with the Z51 suspension package...make any difference? Bummer 'cause I wanted to show it off at my family(large) reunion this saturday about 50 miles from home.

A bounce or an extended wheel travel is the best indication of a bad shock.

If the shock is bad, you should be able to replace it yourself in about an hour, just remember to do the other side at the same time, you do not want a mis matched pair of shocks...

Good luck

Peace
Willfulone

ptdrummer54 08-10-2006 03:52 PM

here's one I hadn't seen mentioned - is there a chance the previous owner lowered it (maybe too much)?

LV_2_XLR8 08-10-2006 05:02 PM

The front wheels are adjustable forward and backwards during alignment. One of your front wheels is too far forward. I would suggest you measure the distance from the front of the tire to the fender opening on both sides and see if they are the same. Mine needed to be adjusted after an alignment. My driver's side rubbed the fender well. :cheers:

rwilkins 08-11-2006 06:48 AM

No it hasn't been lowered at all..

FLACHUSNRET 08-11-2006 07:24 AM

Check your wheel balance weights to see if they are rubbing. Sometimes the stick-on weights between or behind your spokes can rub your calipers. You will notice a shiney cut in the weights if this is the case.