CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Curing time for Z-2, and Z-5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/1474774-curing-time-for-z-2-and-z-5-a.html)

LS WON 08-17-2006 05:22 PM

Curing time for Z-2, and Z-5

Without use of ZFX and is it ok to apply Z-6 or Z-8 after polish or wait for curing time maybe 24 hrs.?. If you don't do multiple coats at ONE time then ZFX is not needed.:lurk:

mrosa65 08-17-2006 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON
Without use of ZFX and is it ok to apply Z-6 or Z-8 after polish or wait for curing time maybe 24 hrs.?. If you don't do multiple coats at ONE time then ZFX is not needed.:lurk:

That's a good question. I know you don't have to use ZFX each time. The directions state use it for the first application then like every 10th time. As for using Z6 or Z8 after a coat not using ZFX, I can't answer that one as I use ZFX most of the time.

I'm sure someone will come along shortly who will know that answer. :cheers:

Bill97Z 08-17-2006 06:10 PM

You can use Z6 or Z8 after applying Z2/Z5 (pro) without using zfx. I myself tend to put nothing over a fresh coat of Z2 or Z5 until after the first wash.

JJU 08-17-2006 06:12 PM

You can apply Z-6 or Z-8 immediately.

bugman 08-17-2006 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JJU
You can apply Z-6 or Z-8 immediately.

YUP, no doubt about it.

Kevin V 08-18-2006 08:11 AM

I believe it is when above 70 degrees, it is 6 hours and below 70 degrees 24 hours, so I guess you can use judgement. The higher the temps the quicker it cures.

capevettes 08-18-2006 08:22 AM

I use the Z2 Pro without the ZFX and the car is usually ready to be buffed off almost as quickly as the time it takes to apply it to the whole car, wiping off where you 1st applied it. It takes longer if the humidity is high. If you begin buffing it off and it smears at all, you need to wait. It should buff off with no effort. You can use the Z8 right after. I usually go with Z6 then Z2 then finish with Z8.

Sleper 08-18-2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes
I use the Z2 Pro without the ZFX and the car is usually ready to be buffed off almost as quickly as the time it takes to apply it to the whole car, wiping off where you 1st applied it. It takes longer if the humidity is high. If you begin buffing it off and it smears at all, you need to wait. It should buff off with no effort. You can use the Z8 right after. I usually go with Z6 then Z2 then finish with Z8.

:iagree: Only differecne is I use Z6 to finish.

LS WON 08-18-2006 12:26 PM

Today I may do both Z-5 with ZFX, Z-6 then Z-2 with ZFX, and then finish with Z-8 so then I can get some multiple coats on of both polishes.:lurk:

mikexxxx 08-18-2006 07:18 PM

I like to put down 3 coats of z5pro w/zfx, then after it cures I apply 3 coats of rejex, one at a time after each coat cures. I find it makes the metallic pop on my MSG and it seems to give a wetter look than Z2pro.:thumbs:

Z06-Goose 08-18-2006 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikexxxx
I like to put down 3 coats of z5pro w/zfx, then after it cures I apply 3 coats of rejex, one at a time after each coat cures. I find it makes the metallic pop on my MSG and it seems to give a wetter look than Z2pro.:thumbs:

Got pics?! :D :thumbs: :cheers:
Goose :flag:

LS WON 08-19-2006 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikexxxx

Are all 3 coats of z-5 back to back or within a 24 hour period?:lurk:

mrosa65 08-20-2006 11:57 AM

I've put 3 coats of Zaino back to back using ZFX on a car before. That's the nice thing about ZFX, there's no wait time between coats as with some products. :thumbs:

LS WON 08-21-2006 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mrosa65
I've put 3 coats of Zaino back to back using ZFX on a car before. That's the nice thing about ZFX, there's no wait time between coats as with some products. :thumbs:

So then I can see that its ok using ZFX in the Z-5 polish and do 3 coats back to back and then ZFX with Z-2 with 2 or 3 more coats of Z-2 back to back or whatever it is just not to exceed the maximum within the 24 hour period-I forget.:lurk:

mrosa65 08-21-2006 06:18 AM

So then I can see that its ok using ZFX in the Z-5 polish and do 3 coats back to back and then ZFX with Z-2 with 2 or 3 more coats of Z-2 back to back or whatever it is just not to exceed the maximum within the 24 hour period-I forget.:lurk:

You can do up to 3 coats in a 24 hour period with ZFX. Which I've always understood to mean, 3 back to back or 3 coats taking a few hours in between. I know the website states NOT to let the zaino that has been activated with ZFX to site more than like 12 hours in the bottle. So I pretty much try to apply them back to back.

LS WON 08-21-2006 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrosa65
You can do up to 3 coats in a 24 hour period with ZFX. Which I've always understood to mean, 3 back to back or 3 coats taking a few hours in between. I know the website states NOT to let the zaino that has been activated with ZFX to site more than like 12 hours in the bottle. So I pretty much try to apply them back to back.

Yes this is what I have been doing.

mikexxxx 08-21-2006 04:34 PM

Each coat had a about 45-60 min period to haze, buffed off and right at it again with the next coat w/zfx mixed in it. The rejex coats had 12 hrs in between.:smash:

I'll see what I can do about a picture. I've been woking on my mini cooper lately. It's the hyper blue (metallic). I need a little sun to get the metallic to pop. NE has been cloudy lately.

LS WON 08-21-2006 04:43 PM

:thumbs: