CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Continuing saga update aluminum radiator install (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1474971-continuing-saga-update-aluminum-radiator-install.html)

ESU 08-21-2006 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
My '79 was a numbers matching car until I pulled the TH350 and installed the 5 speed and it has 3:55 rear gears. In fact, many 79s have had tranny swaps because of the high RPMs they were turning at cruising speeds. Since yours runs at 2400 RPM and doesn't have the higher temps should tell you that lowering RPMs by as much as 1000 RPMs has a tremendous effect on helping to keep the temps lower in our C3s. Trial and error by many of us have proved that we can keep these cars running at more reasonable temps than many are experiencing.
Bernie

Soon as I get the money for the 4 speed auto it'll be done. However is that really curing the problem or just altering the symptom a little?
ESU

ESU 08-21-2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by jdunne
ESU,i posted a lot earlier,i don't remember anyone suggesting to you a simple thing to check;make sure that your hoses aren't collapsing under pressure at speed and restricting the coolant flow back to the radiator,you will recall that they have the spring thingy inside them to stop that happening.that might explain why the prob is occuring at speed and not slower....can also happen as the hoses get older....i see in the pics that yours are sheathed in braided metal.....if you have already checked this please accept my apologies....john in sunny australia:cheers: :cool:

John down under,
the lower hose has a spring, re-confirmed when I took the rad out last week. Upper hose didnt come with a spring as far as I know.
no apologies necessary.

ESU 08-21-2006 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
I have 3:55 rear diff gears in my '79. The primary reason for the high RPM. If we were running 3:08s the RPM would be significantly lower. The stock clutch fan kicks out around 2800 RPM; too soon with a big rear diff gear. Newer cars run lower diff gears and overdrive trannies helps keep the engine running at a more managable rpm at lower speeds when the air flow thru the rad is less and the fan needs to be working. I have gone thru this and after pulling thec rad several times, playing with electric and stock fans, t-stats and transmissions I finally found what my car likes. It runs less than 180 under any circumstance unless I'm sitting in traffic, it still doesn't go over 190. At 90 MPH it actually runs too cool and I still have the copper/brass radiator installed. Imagine how efficient it will be be when I switch to an aluminum rad and Mark VIII electric fan over the winter. There can't be that much difference from one '79 to the next.
Cory, I will wind up in Nags Head then travel back to the Raliegh area, then to the Blueridge Parkway. Wish I could get to NY to visit; I carried a badge for 5 years after Viet Nam and I would love to hear your story.
Bernie

Was 3.55 stock? Was 3.73 an option? Is there any way to tell exactly what rear I have trim plate, build sheet VIN # etc? 5 years as a LEO we could both have shared stories over a few beers!,
Cory :cheers:

rihwoods 08-21-2006 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ESU
I dont know, I would imagine it's the rear end gears, probably 3.73, maybe u have 3.08. Just a guess not sure really. Maybe someone else can shed light on it.
ESU

OM..3.36
OH..3.55
OJ..3.70
Look for the two letter code on your rear end....
RPO.G95...optional rear axle ratio

BerniesVette 08-21-2006 09:05 AM

You could jack the rear of the car, put it in neutral and count the revolutions of the drive shaft with one turn of the wheel to see which diff you have. I get to NY occasionally, a few beers would go great with a few war stories.
When I first got my car, I drove it on the interstate at different rpms. at 3400 rpm my temps were over 200 and at 2200 rpm it ran closer to 185. this was after I pulled the rad and had it rodded out, a 160 t-stat and installed twin 12 inch electric fans in the original shroud and the stock fan still in place. After installing the 5 speed the temps never go above 180 while cruising.
These changes worked for me and I believe they will work for others.
Bernie

rihwoods 08-21-2006 09:08 AM

Here is a chart...check your tire diameter.....quick check assuming your speedo is correct...

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...gearcombo.html

...Roger... 08-21-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ESU
Couldnt remember whether it should or shouldnt spin freely.Yeah a lot of input but where DO I go from here??? I'll drop a few bux on the supposedly hi flow t-stat or maybe even rig my fan for direct drive. They're both cheap enuf and easy to do but I'm not holding my breath that they'll work. I am intrigued by the fan thing though, if the clutch I have disengages at @ 2800 rpm's and my problems surface shortly after that who knows, maybe there is a correlation. Guess for now it's just drive it at 65 or less. As always I'm up for suggestions.
ESU

Cory on the direct drive fan-you are relying on that for a test not permanent-correct?That 7 blade at 5000 RPM is not intended -hence the factory slipping it at 3500-I think if direct helps then the electric would be the way to go.I like one wired automatic and the other wired manual- for driver control- or at least one wired so you can turn it on when you want.PS how was the movie?

Capt. Ron 08-21-2006 09:48 AM

ESU. your RPM's are consistant with mine, seems like if you double the RPM's you get pretty close to your MPH. I am thinking of stopping by the bone yard and finding a used fan clutch to modify as locked in all the time. I was just a little worried about how many RPM's would be too much for the fan.

rihwoods 08-21-2006 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Ron
ESU. your RPM's are consistant with mine, seems like if you double the RPM's you get pretty close to your MPH. I am thinking of stopping by the bone yard and finding a used fan clutch to modify as locked in all the time. I was just a little worried about how many RPM's would be too much for the fan.

Two choices...remove spring completely which "locks" clutch...or...
rotate spring to next slot....which would change calibration of valve..

When spring heats up,it expands turning clutch valve...so by rotating spring..it gets "smaller" and does not expand as much when it heats up....this was explained to me by a local GM tech who has removed springs in clutch fans to "Lock" them..I'm going to see a radiator shop owner this morning who I'm told knows a bunch about clutch fans and see what he knows..

All I want out of this is a clutch fan that will disengage at 3500 RPM like my old GM version...
Rich

ESU 08-21-2006 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dwncchs
Cory on the direct drive fan-you are relying on that for a test not permanent-correct?That 7 blade at 5000 RPM is not intended -hence the factory slipping it at 3500-I think if direct helps then the electric would be the way to go.I like one wired automatic and the other wired manual- for driver control- or at least one wired so you can turn it on when you want.PS how was the movie?

5000 rpms on direct connect I guess would be a problem. If done it would be just a test and see what happens from there. I only considered it because it would be a cheap and easy fix that could be reversed also.
Movie was good, a few of my friends were in it, two were featured prominently in the movie, if you see it you'll understand my screen name. My unit (ESU) lost 14 of the 23 NYPD officers killed on 9-11. Kind of brought old wounds back to the surface a little but it was a good thing. Kept my mind off the car.
Cory

ESU 08-21-2006 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Here is a chart...check your tire diameter.....quick check assuming your speedo is correct...

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...gearcombo.html

Have no idea what diameter my tires are, 255/60/15 or what rpms at 60 , usually only worried about 65 or 70. I'll check the rear for those numbers,
ESU

rihwoods 08-21-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ESU
Have no idea what diameter my tires are, 255/60/15 or what rpms at 60 , usually only worried about 65 or 70. I'll check the rear for those numbers,
ESU

Your tires are 27" diameter.. (I tach about 3300+ RPM at 70...almost 3000 at 60..

ESU 08-21-2006 11:07 AM

Your tires are 27" diameter.. (I tach about 3300+ RPM at 70...almost 3000 at 60..

That translates to @3.73 for me.

...Roger... 08-21-2006 11:15 AM

Two choices...remove spring completely which "locks" clutch...or...
rotate spring to next slot....which would change calibration of valve..

When spring heats up,it expands turning clutch valve...so by rotating spring..it gets "smaller" and does not expand as much when it heats up....this was explained to me by a local GM tech who has removed springs in clutch fans to "Lock" them..I'm going to see a radiator shop owner this morning who I'm told knows a bunch about clutch fans and see what he knows..

All I want out of this is a clutch fan that will disengage at 3500 RPM like my old GM version...
Rich

Rich I will check my catalogs but I seem to remember some clutch fans that were refered to as centrifugal verses thermostatic--they looked the same but were without the spring-I'll get back to you.

...Roger... 08-21-2006 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ESU
5000 rpms on direct connect I guess would be a problem. If done it would be just a test and see what happens from there. I only considered it because it would be a cheap and easy fix that could be reversed also.
Movie was good, a few of my friends were in it, two were featured prominently in the movie, if you see it you'll understand my screen name. My unit (ESU) lost 14 of the 23 NYPD officers killed on 9-11. Kind of brought old wounds back to the surface a little but it was a good thing. Kept my mind off the car.
Cory

Good on the test-best to keep your foot out of it-I'd hate to see it set up a vibration and get loose.:willy: I've been looking forward to seeing the movie and now it will have even more meaning.:flag:

...Roger... 08-21-2006 11:29 AM

Cory you might want to try what Rich has been talking about "if" your spring is the wind up type it will be easy to do and the fan would be less likely to over rev.When the term lockup is used I dont think it actually locks-these fans are filled with silicone and are fluid drive and the spring only controls a valve which allows the fluid to drive more or less--------going back to the "if" some of these fans have flat bimetalic springs which you cant change

...Roger... 08-21-2006 11:36 AM

Check this site out the non-thermal type might work.http://www.haydenauto.com/fce2.htmedit-Maybe not that free wheeling sounds bad unless it will wait until after 3000--be nice if it was adjustable to RPM---edit- http://www.haydenauto.com/severeduty.htm -here is their severe duty clutch this is just like the GM#343721 which was their biggest for the Corvette that they offered it changed to #88961768 but I have not seen it after it changed numbers-Delco mkaes a #15-4259 which is non-thermal type _I actually have this one on the shelf but it looks just like the Hayden one.edit-OK I also have a #343721 on the shelf and like Rich said it does have 2 position retainer for the spring-it looks like you can put in 2 positions and you can rotate it around as many time as you want-it appears so-maybe once you go around your just repeating the same valve position.

rihwoods 08-21-2006 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ESU
That translates to @3.73 for me.

Fun gears for the twisties...
I'll be sending you a PM later..had a neat discussion with an old experienced rad guy at his shop...have to go rescue son..locked his keys in his truck at work..(I keep spare for him..:rofl:)

rihwoods 08-21-2006 12:53 PM

Check this site out the non-thermal type might work.http://www.haydenauto.com/fce2.htmedit-Maybe not that free wheeling sounds bad unless it will wait until after 3000--be nice if it was adjustable to RPM---edit- http://www.haydenauto.com/severeduty.htm -here is their severe duty clutch this is just like the GM#343721 which was their biggest for the Corvette that they offered it changed to #88961768 but I have not seen it after it changed numbers-Delco mkaes a #15-4259 which is non-thermal type _I actually have this one on the shelf but it looks just like the Hayden one.edit-OK I also have a #343721 on the shelf and like Rich said it does have 2 position retainer for the spring-it looks like you can put in 2 positions and you can rotate it around as many time as you want-it appears so-maybe once you go around your just repeating the same valve position.

Heads up..
Need certain pitch on fan to run "severe duty"... very important...think you need fan blade pitch greater than 2 1/4"..probably 2 1/2"....
Local GM dealer is checking calibration spec on the clutch they stock for my 78 A/C application..should be same for 79 with A/C...may hear something today...and you are correct on part no. changes..:thumbs:

Rich

ESU 08-21-2006 01:28 PM

Cory you might want to try what Rich has been talking about "if" your spring is the wind up type it will be easy to do and the fan would be less likely to over rev.When the term lockup is used I dont think it actually locks-these fans are filled with silicone and are fluid drive and the spring only controls a valve which allows the fluid to drive more or less--------going back to the "if" some of these fans have flat bimetalic springs which you cant change

I didnt have a second notch but I did have a tab 180* opposite the first notch. I dremeled a notch or slot into it and wound the spring up tighter to fit in. Dont know what his means but I tried it.