CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   New Z06 Running Very Hot at Track... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/1477766-new-z06-running-very-hot-at-track.html)

darrahc 08-21-2006 08:09 AM

New Z06 Running Very Hot at Track...

This weekend I took my new ('07) Z06 to VIR and the coolant temps were regularly getting up to 250 - 260. The car was really heating up when I was getting the revs up and shifting through the gears. Once it reached 250, I would keep it in third and drive a little easier and the temps would go down slightly. (The AC was not on) I'm certain this was due to the new mods I had on the car which were the following:
* Kooks headers
* Corsa
* Meziere 300 water pump
* Hi-perf HD Alum radiator
* 160 degree thermostat
* PCM programming

Any ideas why exactly this was happening? I'll be taking it back to the shop some time this week. There were 2 other stock Z06s whose temps never got above 220ish and one of the guys was driving it MUCH harder and faster than I was. Obviously, I would have never noticed just driving on the street so is this something that can be easily diagnosed and fixed? Or is it fixed through trial and error 'tweaking'? Any thoughts would be helpful.

AU N EGL 08-21-2006 08:34 AM

You have a new Heavy Duty radiator and still had those high temps?? Something with the radiator is not right, they may be air in there.

Was your oil cooler working?? what was your oil temps?? if your oil temps were above 260 then that may be part of the problem. Keeping oil temps down under 250-260 is extreemly importnat and it also keeps coolent temps down too.

Not to mention the fricken hot and humid wether at VIR this time of the year.

darrahc 08-21-2006 08:44 AM

Thanks for the response.

The oil temps were around 250 yesterday and Saturday.

Ojustracing 08-21-2006 08:52 AM

Dont the electric water pumps not move enough water? for extended high rpm running . Just another thought.

John

Stage7 08-21-2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Dont the electric water pumps not move enough water? for extended high rpm running . Just another thought.

John

:iagree:

I was told to NOT use the electric pump if I planned on road racing. It is fine for drag racing, but not road racing. In fact I've been told the pre-2004 water pump is the one to use, as the 2004 and later water pumps cavitate above 4500rpm. I'm not sure if this applies to the LS7. If it uses the same water pump as the LS2 it does.

Randy@DRM 08-21-2006 09:31 AM

You should take off that water pump!!!. Give up the 3 horsepower and keep that thing cool.

Randy

AMERICANMUSL 08-21-2006 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
You should take off that water pump!!!. Give up the 3 horsepower and keep that thing cool.

Randy

What Randy said!:iagree:

Can't keep the flow at sustained high RPM.

ajderzie 08-23-2006 05:42 PM

Just make sure you didn't suck up anything, such as a newspaper, into the front of the radiaor. Also make sure the fans are working. :)

nassaufrc 08-23-2006 08:16 PM

I think the car is no good. I would be willing to trade you my perfectly good 99 race car, and you would be set:thumbs:

Bill Dearborn 08-23-2006 11:11 PM

The water pump is probably the problem.

Bill

TRACKMAN2 08-23-2006 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ojustracing

John

:iagree: ihad one 55 gpm not enuf trash it quick

TRACKMAN2 08-23-2006 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by nassaufrc
I think the car is no good. I would be willing to trade you my perfectly good 99 race car, and you would be set:thumbs:

:eek: :eek: :rofl: :willy: :rofl: or how about my motorless c4..

WildBill502 08-28-2006 10:03 PM

Clark,
I sent you an email regarding VIR. (email came back as undeliverable, so I am sending you a PM).

I'm hoping you can help me out with some info.

Thanks!

Bill