CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   87 Gas Fumes - Running Rich (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1483208-87-gas-fumes-running-rich.html)

My99Vet 08-27-2006 10:31 AM

87 Gas Fumes - Running Rich

Hey Guys,

My car was idling rough and I replaced the fuel injuectors with a set of flow matched pink tops from Five O Motorsports. The car is running more smoothly but still has that rough idle and doesnt seem to have the power it should. The car is running rich and you can smell the gas, but it has always run rich. I Had the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor changed along with a new IAC valve. The MAF sensor was replaced about 2 months ago. The cats are fine with no blockages. It does feel like it is an ignition problem but it seems as though most of the distributor has been replaced.

sailrmon 08-27-2006 10:37 AM

Worn throttlebody maybe?

My99Vet 08-27-2006 10:50 AM

That was taken out and cleaned when fuel injection was serviced. Nothing seemed worn.

RRT vette 08-27-2006 11:39 AM

Are there any codes? Unplug the MAF and see how it runs with the ECM default values. Have you tried Field Service Mode by grounding the ALDL while driving. Not exact, but a rough estimate of how the A/F ratio is without tools/meters.

You just live across the lake from me!!

sailrmon 08-27-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by my87vet
That was taken out and cleaned when fuel injection was serviced. Nothing seemed worn.

If the throttle shaft is worn it will cause a bad idle.Check for movement of shaft.Worn or poorly adjusted blades can also be a problem.

My99Vet 08-27-2006 12:07 PM

No shaft movement and no codes. I still feel this is somehow related to ignition. The rough idle is almost like ignition shutting off/on is its not like fuel related. The gas fumes seem as though there is more gas being sent than burned. Car does not launch well and the downshift from a roll is weak

My99Vet 08-27-2006 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Are there any codes? Unplug the MAF and see how it runs with the ECM default values. Have you tried Field Service Mode by grounding the ALDL while driving. Not exact, but a rough estimate of how the A/F ratio is without tools/meters.

You just live across the lake from me!!

I had the car in the shop and they ran numerous scanners, the mechanic was stumped. There is no codes at all.

You're lucky to be on that side of the lake, traffic here sucks!

rick lambert 08-27-2006 12:56 PM

Did you check the pickup coil?

My99Vet 08-27-2006 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Did you check the pickup coil?

Replaced that, didn't seem to help. Sometimes I feel it would be best to replace the whole distributor, but if I have replaced the individual pieces, why would I replace the distributor itself?