CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Alum Calipers - Experience? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1485004-alum-calipers-experience.html)

flynhi 08-29-2006 09:05 AM

Alum Calipers - Experience?

Any experience with
SSBC Force 10
Wilwood SuperLite or DynaLite
Baer
Other?

panic 08-29-2006 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by flynhi
Any experience with
SSBC Force 10
Wilwood SuperLite or DynaLite
Baer
Other?

i have wilwood superlite and they couldnt be better and the weight savings against the oem item is unbelievable!!!:eek:

mrvette 08-29-2006 10:09 AM

I want direct A to B comparison opinions without ant other changes....
primarily about the RIDE.......

lvrpool32 08-29-2006 10:16 AM

I have wilwoods front and rear with a wilwood master cyclinder...saved a lot of weight, look great and stop the car fine....hope to test them on the track soon.
Got mine from Kieth at Corvette Engineering...great guy..very helpful.

Nick

Artsvette73 08-29-2006 11:02 AM

i am using Force 10 with hydro boost. As no problems I know when I apply the brakes they will be there.

C3 Stroker 08-29-2006 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by panic
i have wilwood superlite and they couldnt be better and the weight savings against the oem item is unbelievable!!!:eek:

:iagree: I have Wilwoods front and rear, got them for the weight savings, but I noticed quicker stopping, too.

http://i7.tinypic.com/25zt3yb.jpg

panic 08-29-2006 02:39 PM

...and hidroboost is the second best thing after the wilwood calipers, after you fix them you'll be thinking how could you be without before.
trust me:thumbs:
(and i'm not an idroboost seller or supporter:nono: )

flynhi 08-29-2006 05:44 PM

ttt

carbster09 08-29-2006 05:48 PM

Wildwood master ?

How did the wildwood master fit up? Did Corvette Eng supply that you? Any big benefits over stock? I like the hydroboost, but don't want to pay $$$ or have the hassle plumbing it up.

carbster

Jason Staley 08-29-2006 07:18 PM

I have SSBC on the front and Wilwood calipers on the rear. Both have worked perfectly for 3 yrs now with no leaks, even after a long winter of storage. :thumbs:

427Hotrod 08-29-2006 10:01 PM

Don't want to hijack too bad....but.....

C-3Stroker.....How do you like the Cragars? I hadn't noticed the SS engraving before on the newer ones. Do they have regular "ball/seat" for lug nuts or do they use the old unilug slot deal? What size are they? Do they clear without spacers?

I've been feeling real nostalgic for old Cragar look but wasn't too wild about some of their designs up 'till I just saw yours.

JIM

C3 Stroker 08-29-2006 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Don't want to hijack too bad....but.....

C-3Stroker.....How do you like the Cragars? I hadn't noticed the SS engraving before on the newer ones. Do they have regular "ball/seat" for lug nuts or do they use the old unilug slot deal? What size are they? Do they clear without spacers?

I've been feeling real nostalgic for old Cragar look but wasn't too wild about some of their designs up 'till I just saw yours.

JIM

I've always liked Cragars, and mine are Cragar SS aluminum alloys. The size is 15 x 7, but they actually measure 7 1/2" wide. They use regular "ball/seat" (acorn base) lug nuts. Being a new design, Cragar was mindful to make them clear even stock Vette calipers without the need for spacers. I'm not sure if they're available anymore, as shortly after I bought mine, Cragar and Weld Wheels got in a court battle over the name "Cragar SS", and production was stopped. (Weld actually made these "SS" alloys). I understand aluminum Cragars are being made once again and are available from Jeg's, but may not be available in some sizes.

427Hotrod 08-29-2006 11:04 PM

Cool...I'll check them out. I recently saw where Weld was going under...so that may not be a good thing.

I love the way they look....now I want some bad since all those little issues are solved!

JIM

flynhi 08-29-2006 11:34 PM

back on topic......

Corvettes White 08-30-2006 12:08 AM

Have SSBC, direct mount and factory look was a plus, poor workmanship. George

flynhi 08-30-2006 10:09 PM

Anyone else?

turtlevette 08-30-2006 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by flynhi
Anyone else?

They're good sheit.

MBD02 10-18-2006 09:54 AM

I have a question regarding a 65. Do the C-3’s have the same caliper clearance issue as the C-2’s? I’m in the process of building a 65 and everyone I know that has a C-2 have the Torq-thrust II’s. I have decided on using the Foose Nitrous (gray) wheels just to be a little different. The problem is the wheels will not clear the stock calipers without spacers. Do the Wilwood calipers correct this clearance issue? If anyone has any pictures of the calipers without the wheels on that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Foose Nitrous Wheels
http://www.mhtwheels.com/wheel.cfm?brand=4&cat=113

Wrencher 10-18-2006 10:28 AM

I haven't put any on the vette yet, But I run Coleman 4 piston alloy calipers on all four corners on my BOSS 302 with outstanding results. Saves a ton of unsprung weight (not even counting the alloy hats and lighter discs) and they lose heat way faster as well. I do run 4" air ducts to the fronts, so that may be a big part of the heat disapation. A big improvement, albeit a bit of a pricey upgrade.

Hans

427V8 10-18-2006 01:16 PM

Yes C3 have the same issues as C2 with disk brakes. They are the same setup.

Corvette Engineerings Laguna kit uses Wilwood Narrow Dynalite calipers which have lots of clearance.
They actually sit below flush as compared to the surface of the hub rather than sticking way out like stock calipers.

They are what's behind the Craigers in C3 Strokers wheels.

Yes, I am associated with Corvette Engineering
Keith