CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Smog legal headers/manifolds? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1513374-smog-legal-headers-manifolds.html)

Marcusk408 10-01-2006 05:16 PM

Smog legal headers/manifolds?

Anyone know where I can get new exhaust manifolds or headers that are smog legal for my '82 vette? It has to have A.I.R. connections. I know McJacks has some but I'm wondering who else carries them.

AlCherry 10-01-2006 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Marcusk408
Anyone know where I can get new exhaust manifolds or headers that are smog legal for my '82 vette? It has to have A.I.R. connections. I know McJacks has some but I'm wondering who else carries them.

Since your public profile doesn't say where you are from, who knows? People from your state could advise you.

Marcusk408 10-01-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Since your public profile doesn't say where you are from, who knows? People from your state could advise you.

I'm from San Jose, CA.

682XLR8 10-01-2006 06:49 PM

Concerning the headers, check out this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1508709

About the manifolds try GM Sport Salvage in Milpitas any reason why you can't use some good used ones?

Pick n Pull may have others that might fit if you don't mind cleaning them up

doug_dayson 10-02-2006 12:26 AM

Technically speaking, any header that alters the location of the O2 Sensor is illegal in CA (on feedback controlled engines, i.e. electronic carb or EFI)...

...so no long tubes, and only shorty headers that have a CARB number are legal "if" any exist for a 82 C3 (they must have a CARB number for your chassis model and year)?

Search here...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/databases.htm

Also, you cannot even change to a true dual-dual CAT setup legally, so essentially you need the same setup as stock up to the CAT, and after the CAT you can do what you want.

CARB sucks, and you might get other stuff through the visual etc, but the above is the law...

Doug

Originally Posted by 682XLR8

About the manifolds try GM Sport Salvage in Milpitas any reason why you can't use some good used ones?

RIJVETTES 10-02-2006 10:26 PM

i live in san diego,ca. and have the same frustration as you wih the unreasonable CARB requirements. Hedman and Stansheaders.com have models with AIR, for about $400-500, but they are not CARB blessed. the Corvette Shop in san diego suggested L98 exhaust manifolds from a C4, and further pipe modifications afterward. i would also appreciate any good news for California vette owners to pass the "visual" portion of the smog check- i know the sniff test will pass. let us know if you find anything and i'll do the same.
jim.
:willy:

Marcusk408 10-03-2006 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by lqss
i live in san diego,ca. and have the same frustration as you wih the unreasonable CARB requirements. Hedman and Stansheaders.com have models with AIR, for about $400-500, but they are not CARB blessed. the Corvette Shop in san diego suggested L98 exhaust manifolds from a C4, and further pipe modifications afterward. i would also appreciate any good news for California vette owners to pass the "visual" portion of the smog check- i know the sniff test will pass. let us know if you find anything and i'll do the same.
jim.
:willy:

I worked as a smog technician for a short while and if an exhaust manifold has AIR hookups and works like stock then it'll pass the visual. I wouldn't care if it didn't have the CARB sticker. I think a lot of smog techs are the same. As long as the AIR is connected then they'll pass it.

Marcusk408 10-03-2006 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by 682XLR8

I don't mind good used ones as long as they're pretty clean and don't have a lot of rust.

garycr14 10-03-2006 01:48 AM

I find it strange that CARB has approved long tube hedmans hedders through 1980, but it cuts off there. I am looking for the solution to a similar problem with my '81, and have been considering using the L98 manifolds as well.

682XLR8 10-03-2006 12:24 PM

Doug is exactly right about the CARB#, I forgot to mention this in my first post:crazy:

Long tube headers are not legal for 81-82 because of the O2 sensor. The tubes cool the exhaust to the point where the sensor won't work(believe it needs between 5-600 degrees to work right). A heated sensor could be used, and will work fine, but it still moves the sensor position, so it's still a no go....

The L98 manifolds might be the only option. Keep in mind the manifolds have a 2 1/4 exit(81-82 Vette may be 2", don't know) and the AIR tubes may not work(inlet for the drivers side points towards the rear)

I went through all this during an L98 swap into my 84 pick-up, hope all this helps:thumbs:

Marcusk408 10-03-2006 01:52 PM

I might just get this for my '82 vette. Should bolt right up and it's smog legal too. It looks like the one I have now except mine is old and somewhat rusty.

http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/40fi...9/DSC00185.JPG

IrishJoker 10-03-2006 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by garycr14
I find it strange that CARB has approved long tube hedmans hedders through 1980, but it cuts off there. I am looking for the solution to a similar problem with my '81, and have been considering using the L98 manifolds as well.

I went through this hunt a few months ago - I have an L-81 1981 with the factory shorty stainless steel headers - A.I.R. Tubes et all still hooked up - SMOG/exhaust tested and passed. I had an exhaust leak on the left exhaust manifold near where the clamp connects to the header Pipe. - The welds had broken loose and the tech wasn't sure if he could weld the connection back on so the three bolts would tighten up enough to prevent the leak.

So I started the hunt for either a replacement stock exhaust header or buying a replacement Street legal after market. THERE ARE NO STREET LEGAL AFTER MARKET HEADERS FOR THE 1980 CALIFORNIA, or 1981 L-81.
You can find used Exhaust headers at Corvette salvage yards on-line. But they have gotten wise to the demand for their used headers - they have begun to jack the price up. Best of luck and if you actually find something let me know.

IrishJoker 10-03-2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marcusk408
I might just get this for my '82 vette. Should bolt right up and it's smog legal too. It looks like the one I have now except mine is old and somewhat rusty.

http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/40fi...9/DSC00185.JPGhttp://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/40fi...9/DSC00185.JPG

I must confess I missed these several months ago - or I may have seen them and the price was hard to swollow I don't remember - $595.00 - ouch! Just give me the factory stainless ones darn!:eek:

Marcusk408 10-04-2006 12:39 PM

By the way...does anyone find it a pain in the arse to remove headers/manifolds. I can't seem to get a good grip on the bolts with open end wrenches because of the tight spaces and I've tried sockets but they always hit the exhaust tubes so I'd be working at an angle and don't get a good grip either. Is there something else I could use? Maybe crows foot wrenches?

682XLR8 10-04-2006 01:15 PM

If your current manifolds are like the ones in the pic you posted earlier, you might get a thin walled socket to work(snap-on sells them). Or you may have to cut/bend a wrench

garycr14 10-05-2006 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
THERE ARE NO STREET LEGAL AFTER MARKET HEADERS FOR THE 1980 CALIFORNIA, or 1981 L-81.

That is what I thought too, but headman makes them for up to and including 1980, which are CARB approved.

Big2Bird 12-20-2006 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marcusk408 (Post 1557121063)

I went to McJacks to look at their headers. They are just stock headers that have been blasted and ceramic coated. They do not make them, they just coat them. The original is a poor design that cracks all the time.

Cheeseoreno 05-14-2018 05:25 PM

You HAVE to have a CARB OK Welded on the Headers

Originally Posted by Marcusk408 (Post 1557121063)

Just wanted to let you know I tried getting my 1980 Corvette 350 smogged and it didn't pass the visual either. First time in 15 years with all the same stuff. Sanderson Block-Hugger Headers WITH Air Injectors added. That was a BIG NO GO ! The tech advised me that to be CARB legal Headers will have the DO Number Welded on the Headers themselves. Just in case my Edelbrock 1904 didn't pass either. Contacting Edelbrock they advised me that they haven't produced that Carb in over 10 years, and YES it was a direct replacement for factory Carb but they no longer have any documentation to prove it. Good Luck !

Cheeseoreno 05-14-2018 05:29 PM

Mine didn't but I will go elsewhere

Originally Posted by Marcusk408 (Post 1557139395)
I worked as a smog technician for a short while and if an exhaust manifold has AIR hookups and works like stock then it'll pass the visual. I wouldn't care if it didn't have the CARB sticker. I think a lot of smog techs are the same. As long as the AIR is connected then they'll pass it.

I have the air hookups and they failed me. I will try another place.

Cheeseoreno 05-14-2018 05:50 PM

True but Beware !

Originally Posted by garycr14 (Post 1557175650)
That is what I thought too, but headman makes them for up to and including 1980, which are CARB approved.

I just called Hedman to find out about my 1980 Covette 350. Yes they have the CARB legal Headers WITH the CARB Welded on so no issue. The Part Number is #66301 (with Air Tubes). They come ceramic coated and non coated. They are for STRAIT PLUGS ONLY. They also have a 1-3/8 port size. If you have a different set of heads NOT stock they may not fit. I have a set of AFR Aluminum Heads and he thought they would not seal correctly. If you buy them take the manifold gasket out and compare with your head ports. If they don't fit correctly they will refund you the money minus a restocking fee IF they were not used. Good Luck Everyone !