CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Cartek Cam change on 06 Z06 makes 539 RWHP & 472 RWTQ with cats. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1513722-cartek-cam-change-on-06-z06-makes-539-rwhp-and-472-rwtq-with-cats.html)

tekhombre 10-02-2006 12:32 AM

Cartek Cam change on 06 Z06 makes 539 RWHP & 472 RWTQ with cats.

Here are the results of a 2006 Z06 that we installed Cartek LS7 cam along with some other bolt ons.

http://www.cartek.net/images/z06cam.jpg

Here are some specs:

Cartek LS7 cam
Cartek custom tuning
Kooks headers
160 Stat. with Cartek fan module
Cats

Julio

robz 10-02-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tekhombre
Here are the results of a 2006 Z06 that we installed Cartek LS7 cam along with some other bolt ons.

http://www.cartek.net/images/z06cam.jpg

Here are some specs:

Cartek LS7 cam
Cartek custom tuning
Kooks headers
160 Stat. with Cartek fan module
Cats

Julio

Damn! That looks sweet. Any intake change?

EVOMIND 10-02-2006 10:26 AM

i dont doubt that any half decent tuner can get great power gains with a cam, my question is what it does to driveability.
a buddy had a c5 ligenfelter. every now and then it would just die out. every now and then it would surge just a bit. every now and then it would idle funny. (w/cam)
it did go like a raped ape when u stepped on the gas.
it wasnt bad as far as driveability goes, but would become bothersome. he had it tuned but to no avail.
dont get me wrong, im not bashing ligenfelter or the cams, im just questioning the tradeoff in driveability.

Tiago 10-02-2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by EVOMIND
i dont doubt that any half decent tuner can get great power gains with a cam, my question is what it does to driveability.
a buddy had a c5 ligenfelter. every now and then it would just die out. every now and then it would surge just a bit. every now and then it would idle funny. (w/cam)
it did go like a raped ape when u stepped on the gas.
it wasnt bad as far as driveability goes, but would become bothersome. he had it tuned but to no avail.
dont get me wrong, im not bashing ligenfelter or the cams, im just questioning the tradeoff in driveability.

Obviously your friend's car wasn't tuned correctly or there were other problems.

m3corvette 10-02-2006 11:42 AM

Julio, so what will your cam add to mine if I'm already at 520 RWHP with just bolt ons?:thumbs:

EVOMIND 10-02-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiago
Obviously your friend's car wasn't tuned correctly or there were other problems.

the more aggressive you go with cams the more u will sacrifice in driveability.
just off-idle stumble is pretty common....maybe that tradeoff would be worth it to some, but others may not want that. or even know that could be a possibility when swapping for a bigger cam.

im interested in hearing any driveability issues ppl may or may not be having with the different cam setups...
i already know they make power...

Stage7 10-02-2006 03:29 PM

Great job Julio. Dave is supposed to talk to you about getting my car to the same level...:thumbs:

blkz 10-02-2006 09:28 PM

Juilo, can you PM me a price. Thanx.:)

tekhombre 10-03-2006 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by m3corvette
Julio, so what will your cam add to mine if I'm already at 520 RWHP with just bolt ons?:thumbs:

I could only guess, maybe another 50 RWHP, it depends on the mods you have done. For example, you could have a stock type exhaust with cats, mufflers, etc. or you may have no mufflers, no cats and just the exhaust diverter for sound control opening with the ECM like some guys are doing (too loud for my taste). I would use a different cam for each of those scenarios.
How fast is your car in the 1/4? It has enough power for a low 10 second run.

Julio

TripleBlack99 10-03-2006 01:26 AM

what mods do you have?

tekhombre 10-03-2006 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by EVOMIND
the more aggressive you go with cams the more u will sacrifice in driveability.
just off-idle stumble is pretty common....maybe that tradeoff would be worth it to some, but others may not want that. or even know that could be a possibility when swapping for a bigger cam.

im interested in hearing any driveability issues ppl may or may not be having with the different cam setups...
i already know they make power...

EVOMIND, I'm not sure how far you are from us, but if you are not to far you can take a ride to our shop and we could show you some of the cam only or h/c cars that we have just completed.
You will hear the cam, but the car will idle rock solid with no hunting, stalling, etc. AC on or off and the car will drive near stock. When we tune, we pay allot of attention to making good power and driveability as well.
I have also experienced both ends of the scale, some people want a bone stock idles with a cam change, so we use a milder grind and others want to hear the cam and want a real loappy cam. We can accommodate both.

Julio

tekhombre 10-03-2006 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by blkz
Juilo, can you PM me a price. Thanx.:)

PM on the way, but please contact Dave 908-317-4496 or at davebusch@cartek.net

Julio

tekhombre 10-03-2006 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stage7
Great job Julio. Dave is supposed to talk to you about getting my car to the same level...:thumbs:

I will, thanks for the props.

SharkbyteLT4 10-03-2006 02:42 AM

About time you guys come out with something. Haven't heard from you guys in a while :lurk: :cheers: :thumbs:

KOOKS Headers 10-03-2006 09:36 AM

Awsome numbers julio keep up the great work:cheers:

PetaVette 10-03-2006 10:55 AM

What bolt ons do you have? and have you been able to get a 1/4mi time on that beast yet?

tekhombre 10-04-2006 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
Awsome numbers julio keep up the great work:cheers:

Thanks George. :cheers:

zo6vetteman2003 10-04-2006 07:38 AM

Huge numbers and natural :cheers:
Must be a monster on the open road. Not much around going to touch that thing on a daily drive. :thumbs:

EVOMIND 10-04-2006 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by tekhombre
EVOMIND, I'm not sure how far you are from us, but if you are not to far you can take a ride to our shop and we could show you some of the cam only or h/c cars that we have just completed.
You will hear the cam, but the car will idle rock solid with no hunting, stalling, etc. AC on or off and the car will drive near stock. When we tune, we pay allot of attention to making good power and driveability as well.
I have also experienced both ends of the scale, some people want a bone stock idles with a cam change, so we use a milder grind and others want to hear the cam and want a real loappy cam. We can accommodate both.

Julio

julio,
im in chicagoland. im interested in modding my car but i want to retain its refined, easy to drive characteristics.
some of the cammed cars ive driven have had MINOR issues. die outs every once in a while, and especially stutters just off idle. some u have to rev to keep from off idle hiccups etc.
some people dont mind this if it is fairly minor.
some folks claim "NO DRIVEABILITY ISSUES" but then when i drive their car there ARE minor issues, but they are there.
unfortunatly, i dont know anyone local with a cammed z so im trying my best to make an informed decision.
feel free to pm me with what u have and pricing....
thanks

tekhombre 10-05-2006 03:25 AM

EVOMIND, you have a PM.

Thanks, Julio