CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Greatest Improvement Yet! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1518447-greatest-improvement-yet.html)

jlelec 10-07-2006 06:45 PM

Greatest Improvement Yet!

I know this is probably beating a dead horse,:smash: but I got my 200R4 in my 81, and it is like a new car! This is the greatest improvement I have seen yet! Direct bolt in, no problems! The TV Cable has to be just right, or it won't shift! :cheers:

69 N.O.X. RATT 10-07-2006 06:56 PM

Overdrive is great

spedaleden 10-07-2006 07:02 PM

How about some pics

jlelec 10-07-2006 08:27 PM

Wish I had taken some to post. Sorry, I was too eager to ride.. :D

jdmick 10-07-2006 08:40 PM

I know the feeling. :steering: :auto: :cheers:

marshrat99 10-07-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jlelec
I know this is probably beating a dead horse,:smash: but I got my 200R4 in my 81, and it is like a new car! This is the greatest improvement I have seen yet! Direct bolt in, no problems! The TV Cable has to be just right, or it won't shift! :cheers:

:iagree: who's tranny did you end up going with? any suggestions for those considering the change?

79Cruzer 10-07-2006 10:14 PM

I'd have to agree with you on this. I put a 2004R in my 79 in August and this is the best mod yet for sure. I'm no longer looking at the gas gauge everytime I go for a cruise. I haven't checked the gas mileage, but I would think I'm getting about a 30% improvement in fuel economy. At least it seems that way! I bought mine about a year ago in August from the auto wreckers and re-built everything. I used Bowtie for some of the needed parts. If I was doing this over again I would probably buy the complete transmission from someone like Bowtie as I've probably got about the same money overall invested in the tranny when It's all said and done.

rosslato 10-07-2006 10:58 PM

AMEN!

jlelec 10-08-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by marshrat99
:iagree: who's tranny did you end up going with? any suggestions for those considering the change?

I got it from a friend of mine, it was freshy rebuilt just prior to the car being totaled. He originally bought it for a street rod project, but lost interest. I guess I was lucky, I couldn't have afforded the "crate transmission" route..It came out of an late 80's Iroc. I am working on trying to talk him out of the TPI now for my next project..

marshrat99 10-11-2006 04:30 PM

Congrats !:party:

As far as the TV cable adjustment, Bowtie's procedure is pretty simple assuming everything else has been installed correctly and you're using Bowtie's TV Made EZ kit. Essentially, 1st make sure you're getting a complete WOT when using the petal and not checking by simply pulling the cable by hand. 2nd, you want the TV cable to be extended to its max at WOT. If you don't use the Bowtie TV kit, then you'll have to worry about all that carb geometry crap.

TexSon 10-11-2006 04:35 PM

Yeah, OD is great and if my 71 were not complete or numbers not matched I'd put a 5 speed in it when I do the restoration. Since it is I am going to keep everything OEM. My wife's 61, with nothing matching, is a different story. It is getting a 5 speed, fuel injection, disc brakes, new suspension, :willy: :yesnod:

Durango_Boy 10-11-2006 05:02 PM

I am working on trying to talk him out of the TPI now for my next project..

Jlelec - You've got a PM.