CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   When is it fast enough? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1526829-when-is-it-fast-enough.html)

LAYNLOW 10-18-2006 06:28 AM

When is it fast enough?

My C5's best time is a 11.0 on drag radials. The car is still fun to drive without any worries, well not many. I'm now considering doing more to get her well into the 10.s and I question myself why. I get to the track maybe one or two times a year and I don't mess around on the street, so what's the point? The other side of that coin is who cares if I don't go the the track or street race, I would just like to have it, plus it something to get involved in over the long winter.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Fastbird 10-18-2006 06:48 AM

When is it fast enough??

Never. When you're going fast, there's only one logical choice: Go Faster. :D

Blow Torch 10-18-2006 06:49 AM

I guess they're never fast enough.:willy:
I'm in the same situation; Although the car should run high 10's at the track, the closest 1/4 mile track is too far away to visit with any frequency,(and a long way home if you break somthing) and although I don't street race............:toetap: The only guys that ever challenge me are ricers with Fart cans and trucks :willy:
Kinda like constantly training in the gym and taking martial arts but never fighting..I guess it's just a macho thing:crazy:

Gannet 10-18-2006 06:53 AM

It's not so much "when is it fast enough" but rather "when will going faster be too much of a pita" in driveability, reliability, cost, etc.

LAYNLOW 10-18-2006 07:45 AM

All of you guys are right! The one that stands out is the martial artist analogy . . .

I'm pretty sure my car would slide into the tens under the right circumstances, temp, hook, etc.

As much as people claim their cars are fast, I'm not sure how many of them run in the high 10's low 11's through the mufflers.

The other thing I question is the cost for the mod's would be $5000.00 to get me from a 10.9 to a 10.5 or 10.6. I'm not sure, and would I even feel that?

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe a nice set of wheels instead . . .

Thanks for your response.

Great forum!

LAYNLOW 10-18-2006 07:48 AM

Gannet, I lived out your'e way a long time ago. Right down the street from the Hurricane on Passagrille Beach. Should have kept that property!

spdislife 10-18-2006 07:56 AM

When you go WOT and wet yourself :lol:

istsme98 10-18-2006 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gannet
It's not so much "when is it fast enough" but rather "when will going faster be too much of a pita" in driveability, reliability, cost, etc.

:iagree:

WKMCD 10-18-2006 08:20 AM

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. :)

peter pan 10-18-2006 09:22 AM

Just add some boost and you will be hooked, it is always there and streetable when you want to cruise around, and I only goto the track about 2 a year and I am close, just like having all that power at my becking:D

Cobra4B 10-18-2006 09:35 AM

When you can spin tires in all 6 gears... then you have enough :lol:

Seriously though... you bring up a good point. I have 385 rwhp w/ bolt on's on my Z06... yeah I could do h/c to get to 450, but why? I run HPDEs and have plenty of power and the reliability/low maintenance of the stock '01 cam.

madmatt9471 10-18-2006 09:42 AM

What I've determined is that when your Vette is to a point where it is not fun to drive anymore or your worried if it will be unstreetable or your wife doesn't want to ride in it because it's too much or if smog becomes an issue and your always worried if it'll pass or you have to do something each year to get it to pass it may be too far!

I always want to be able to just hop in the the Vette and drive whenever I want and just go wherever and not worry or wonder should I take the other car instead because this one is more for race than a powerful cruiser(when you want to cruise!)

So IMHO I would keep it streetable as much as possible w/out compromising the drivabilty!

Thanks,Matt

rudolph schenker 10-18-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gannet

:iagree:

barkingowl 10-18-2006 09:57 AM

Stock is fast enough for me.

Stangkiller 10-18-2006 10:03 AM

The technology is there to build a reliable low 10/high 9 second street car. The accomplisment of building something like that would be pretty cool. Now get the power to run 9's, and put some road racing gear in the car and you've got one hell of a street monster.

The only thing i've ever said was fast enough, was my modded R1 It would pull the wheel in most of the lower gears without trying. When you know if you go full throttle you'll have a problem...that's powerful enough for me.

EG@EnglandGreen 10-18-2006 10:11 AM

Doug of East Coast Supercharging did a write up a few months ago about Elapsed Time vs Cost vs Reliability.

It's the best explanation I have seen on any board to date.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
....I have had several people say "I want a 9 sec car" and my response is "no you don’t". :lol:
Not that they cannot be completely reliable etc etc, but if you think you are going to build a nine sec car and race it continuously, then plan on feeding money into it for little things regularly. Otherwise you are kidding yourself or being lied to.

Personally I think it's well worth it, but that my opinion. Keep in mind though, there have been plenty of cruises etc that I wanted to attend, but couldn't because I blew my trans the past weekend and didn’t have the time to fix it. All these things need to be taken into account and you better have deep pockets, or don’t start. Here is a little break down for you guys (all my opinion of course)

13's=doesn't count:lol:
12's= the car is practically stock and will run that way
11's= very reliable, issues are rare and easily fixed
High 10's= still very reliable, maybe some clutch/ trans issues annually
Low 10's= more drive train related issues, engine freshening every 2-3years
High 9's= regular maintenance of the vehicle, engines more frequent, drive trains regularly. (for a regular racer-75/100+ passes per year)
Low 9's= maintenance after almost every race, expect engine freshening every year along with drive train. Plus many extras along the way that you never thought of.
8's= might get easier because by now your car is basically a race car and most likely has a race trans and solid axle etc etc that will hold up better to the abuse. These cars were not designed for drag racing, simple as that.

This is what we tell all of our customers that want crazy HP because we would rather not have the job than to sell a job that the owner does not have the patience or money to maintain. Hope this helps
:cheers:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1430101
EG :cheers:

Cobra4B 10-18-2006 10:14 AM

^ Awesome post... great way of looking at it.

BT-01-vette 10-18-2006 10:14 AM

When you :U at WOT

EG@EnglandGreen 10-18-2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Awesome post... great way of looking at it.

Kudos should go to Doug of ECS :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 10-18-2006 10:21 AM

When is fast enough - I'll let you know if I ever get there.