CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Is 220 deg @ freeway speeds to hot? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/1566889-is-220-deg-freeway-speeds-to-hot.html)

ittlfly 12-05-2006 11:13 PM

Is 220 deg @ freeway speeds to hot?

Sorry guys for all these stupid questons..... but this isn't my old LT1 for sure...and the Helms isn't real clear on whats "hot".

While I was taking the car out to get the trans. warm, I noticed that the digital climbed up to 220 deg at 65-70 MPH. (the analog guage was between mid point and 3/4). It stayed @ that temp the entire time until I got off the frwy. Driving down city streets, it cooled off to 200... (and the analog dropped to mid point). It just seemed that 220 was a little hot for 65 MPH with the outside temps at 63 deg. Shouldn't it run a little cooler at freeway speeds (more and cooler air flow) and heat up driving around town? Sounds backwards.

90 Corvette ZR-1 12-05-2006 11:15 PM

what gear/rpm were you in/at

ittlfly 12-05-2006 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1
what gear/rpm were you in/at

I was in 6th but didn't notice the RPM's. Probably somewhere around 1600-1800 ..just a guess....

cv67 12-05-2006 11:39 PM

I would guess it should run a little cooler than that. When was the last time you checked the condition of the air dams/cleaned the radiator fins out?

Zrxmax 12-06-2006 01:02 AM

flow speed...

Originally Posted by ittlfly
I was in 6th but didn't notice the RPM's. Probably somewhere around 1600-1800 ..just a guess....

fwiw... I have noticed the temp on my motor can vary by 15+ degrees depending on rpm regardless of vehicle speed. Mine needs to be turning about 2700+ rpm to get the flow needed through the radiator for optimum cooling. With a 180 stat and cool weather at cruising speed my temp can vary from 85 C ( 187 F ) to 95C (203 F ) depending on rpm. 1600 to 1800 rpm makes my car run warmer than normal. It must be a function of rpm and coolant flow speed through the radiator. :crazy:
:cheers:

ittlfly 12-06-2006 08:31 AM

I think I'll go through the system.. New thermostat, surge tank cap, a flush out as per Helms and finally pull the shroud to see whats' going on with the fins. One Cf member suggests I drill 3 5/16 holes in the rim of the the ther. next to the gasket. I've read about that trick before in other posts.

All that should keep me off the streets for a bit.:D

willie mac 12-06-2006 09:38 AM

Ah but think of all the fun you will have finding out all the new ways the human body can bend:willy: Na really once you get a few of the over due tasks out of the way you will find this car is very dependable time machine(bringing back ones youth):thumbs:

guinnessdood 12-06-2006 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ittlfly
I think I'll go through the system.. New thermostat, surge tank cap, a flush out as per Helms and finally pull the shroud to see whats' going on with the fins. One Cf member suggests I drill 3 5/16 holes in the rim of the the ther. next to the gasket. I've read about that trick before in other posts.

All that should keep me off the streets for a bit.:D

You will be surprised by the amount of crap on the frontside of your radiator. My car had 39K when I removed the top shroud and it was pretty bad...a lot of stuff in there! One thing you;ll want to do when you remove that top shroud (and it is a real B!TCH) is to reverse the nutclips to the other piece that the shroud attaches to (not sure what the hell to call it) ...using a dremel tool to allow the nutclips to move down slightly so the screws will line up with the holes...much easier than trying to put the screws back in the way they came out....these are the six 7mm screws way down in front. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

ittlfly 12-06-2006 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
You will be surprised by the amount of crap on the frontside of your radiator. My car had 39K when I removed the top shroud and it was pretty bad...a lot of stuff in there! One thing you;ll want to do when you remove that top shroud (and it is a real B!TCH) is to reverse the nutclips to the other piece that the shroud attaches to (not sure what the hell to call it) ...using a dremel tool to allow the nutclips to move down slightly so the screws will line up with the holes...much easier than trying to put the screws back in the way they came out....these are the six 7mm screws way down in front. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

I can hardly wait.....I'll pick a day when I feel more insane than usual.:willy: