CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   MTI Six Shooter Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1578767-mti-six-shooter-question.html)

wiles222 12-21-2006 01:47 AM

MTI Six Shooter Question

I received the new Six Shooter after "only" nine weeks on backorder. I just installed it and it rattles quite a bit when I get up to 2500 rpm. Also when I shift into second, it makes a winding noise. It is quite annoying. Has anyone figured out how to fix these problems? I am ready to chuck it and go back to the stock shifter, or get the new B&M Ripper.

Delta3-2 12-21-2006 06:44 AM

You can fix the problems you speak of by returning the shifter to MTI. Why would you want to "fix" something brand new ?

DG

wiles222 12-21-2006 12:12 PM

True. I am a little disappointed with it. I have heard other forum members rave about it. I guess it is all relative.

TOOGECKO 12-21-2006 12:41 PM

I believe the rattle is due to the lack of the rubber isolator bushing that the OEM shifter had. I took a piece of 1.5" rubber hose with a .375 wall (McMaster Carr) and zip-tied it to the shaft. It formed a "damper" of sorts and all but eliminated my rattle. The leather boot hides this and you'd never know it was there. All in all, I'm not raving but I do think it is the best aftermarket shifter I have had in my car (Hurst and BPP were removed after a couple of months ea.)

wiles222 12-21-2006 02:25 PM

I took the boot off of the old shifter and duct taped the lower portion of the plastic ring to the shifter base. Not pretty, but it seemed to eliminate some of the noise. It still rattles though.

Honez 12-21-2006 03:36 PM

Hum, mine doesn't do that. I would call them and see if you missed something on the install or something. Mine is smooth and as quiet as stock shifter.

wiles222 12-21-2006 04:01 PM

I followed their directions to the letter. Did you do the Anti-Venom Mod? I was wondering if that might have anything to do with the rattling.

wiles222 12-21-2006 04:30 PM

I just got off the phone with MTI they are saying that there is a break-in period of about 1000 miles. The rattling should diminish after that. We'll see...

jdmvette 12-21-2006 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Honez (Post 1558199752)
Hum, mine doesn't do that. I would call them and see if you missed something on the install or something. Mine is smooth and as quiet as stock shifter.

:iagree:

Honez 12-21-2006 06:13 PM

I didn't have a break in period I beat on it right out of the box. Never a noise or rattle. Hum, I would make them swap it out for another one. What is there to break in. It's just a metal shaft that pivots on an axis.

wiles222 12-21-2006 06:26 PM

I guess you lucked out with no problems. If after 1000 miles I don't hear an improvement, I will have to take it up with MTI.

Reese@MTI RACING 12-22-2006 09:07 AM

Shifter rattle

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in with an official responce.

We are getting a lot of varied feedback and it does'nt seem to have rhyme or reason.

Some shifters rattle, some do not.

Please note, I have driven lots of new C6 Z06's and bone stock THEY rattle!

GM went to a shorter throw, less free play design with the C6 and the noise/vibration is a by-product of making the shifter less of a damper.

It is consistant with the Six Shooter that the noise does settle down upon break-in.

Some report that it goes away all together, some not entirely.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. When you replace something rubbery with something that is precise and with less free play it only follows that the device can transmit more noise or vibration.

The Six Shooter Shifter was born out of a desire to find a precise, fast, low effort shift mechanism when none existed in the market place. It is a very good piece and we are still trying to improve it.

We have sold tons of these and the responce is overwhelmingly great.

We appreciate your feed back and will continue to try to make the Six Shooter Shifter the BEST Corvette shifter on the market.

Reese

NeverT00Fast 12-22-2006 12:19 PM

+1 for the rattle. This thing rattles so bad that it makes my old B&M sound like a stock shifter. It def. shifts nice, but Waaaaay too loud! I'll also wait until I put 1000 miles on it and take it from there.

XLR8BYU 12-22-2006 12:27 PM

I love mine, no rattles what so ever :cheers:

jbauch357 12-22-2006 01:16 PM

I think I can provide some "theoretical" rhyme & reason for the rattle, and some ideas on how to overall improve the shifting experience....

I would be willing to bet the majority of rattles are coming from Z06 drivers, and most of the coupe drivers are satisfied with the quietness of the MTI shifter.

The Z06 shift boxes are mounted to the torque tube via solid bushings, and the coupe shift boxes are mounted via rubber bushings. For this reason less of the vibration is transferred to the shifter on the couple models and they will remain quieter.

My Z06 was silent stock, loud as hell with the B&M (I sold it to my buddy with a coupe and he loves it, perfectly quiet), and somewhere between with the MTI. I have adjusted the shift box positioning and linkage many times with slightly better/worse results in both shift smoothness and noise reduction - the perfect placement still eludes me though.

I thought the rattle was coming from the stock shift knob, but after replacing with an F-body shift knob the rattle remains. The severity of the rattle can also be reduced/increased by adding pressure to the shifter at higher RPM's, but this is the last thing you want to be thinking about when playing in the twisties or chewing up some rice...

One thing that I did to substiantially quiet noise coming from the torque tube and rattle through the shifter was use dynomat. I added a layer to the upper and lower side of the rubber cover that goes over the shifter, added a few wraps to the shaft of the shifter, and then also insulated the back side of the entire center console. This greatly reduced squeeks/rattles coming from the shifter and center console, also it reduced the amount of noise coming through the center console area. This only added 5lbs of weight at the very most, so dont get in a huff about making the car heavier.

Realistically the the shifting improvement from stock after adding: MTI 6-shooter, anti-venom, AMSOil ATF, F-Body shift knob, and dynomat made it a whole new car.

NeverT00Fast 12-22-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jbauch357 (Post 1558212691)
I think I can provide some "theoretical" rhyme & reason for the rattle, and some ideas on how to overall improve the shifting experience....

I would be willing to bet the majority of rattles are coming from Z06 drivers, and most of the coupe drivers are satisfied with the quietness of the MTI shifter.

The Z06 shift boxes are mounted to the torque tube via solid bushings, and the coupe shift boxes are mounted via rubber bushings. For this reason less of the vibration is transferred to the shifter on the couple models and they will remain quieter.

My Z06 was silent stock, loud as hell with the B&M (I sold it to my buddy with a coupe and he loves it, perfectly quiet), and somewhere between with the MTI. I have adjusted the shift box positioning and linkage many times with slightly better/worse results in both shift smoothness and noise reduction - the perfect placement still eludes me though.

I thought the rattle was coming from the stock shift knob, but after replacing with an F-body shift knob the rattle remains. The severity of the rattle can also be reduced/increased by adding pressure to the shifter at higher RPM's, but this is the last thing you want to be thinking about when playing in the twisties or chewing up some rice...

One thing that I did to substiantially quiet noise coming from the torque tube and rattle through the shifter was use dynomat. I added a layer to the upper and lower side of the rubber cover that goes over the shifter, added a few wraps to the shaft of the shifter, and then also insulated the back side of the entire center console. This greatly reduced squeeks/rattles coming from the shifter and center console, also it reduced the amount of noise coming through the center console area. This only added 5lbs of weight at the very most, so dont get in a huff about making the car heavier.

Realistically the the shifting improvement from stock after adding: MTI 6-shooter, anti-venom, AMSOil ATF, F-Body shift knob, and dynomat made it a whole new car.

Good find. Is it possible to use the rubber bushings from the coupe on the Z06?

jbauch357 12-22-2006 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NeverT00Fast (Post 1558212740)
Good find. Is it possible to use the rubber bushings from the coupe on the Z06?

Yes, they are interchangable. When I ordered my B&M it came with solid bushings for if you were driving a coupe and wanted to upgrade. Realistically it's a question of if you want a little more precision accompanied with the rattle, or a tiny bit more slop and less rattle. I personally haven't tried both bushings in the same car so don't have any personal experience with the difference.

gorillavet 12-23-2006 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Reese@MTI RACING (Post 1558209255)
Hey guys, I wanted to chime in with an official responce.

We are getting a lot of varied feedback and it does'nt seem to have rhyme or reason.

Some shifters rattle, some do not.

Please note, I have driven lots of new C6 Z06's and bone stock THEY rattle!

GM went to a shorter throw, less free play design with the C6 and the noise/vibration is a by-product of making the shifter less of a damper.

It is consistant with the Six Shooter that the noise does settle down upon break-in.

Some report that it goes away all together, some not entirely.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. When you replace something rubbery with something that is precise and with less free play it only follows that the device can transmit more noise or vibration.

The Six Shooter Shifter was born out of a desire to find a precise, fast, low effort shift mechanism when none existed in the market place. It is a very good piece and we are still trying to improve it.

We have sold tons of these and the responce is overwhelmingly great.

We appreciate your feed back and will continue to try to make the Six Shooter Shifter the BEST Corvette shifter on the market.

Reese

I have had three different six shooter shifters. NONE made any real noise but one of the beta units I tested did buzz under heavy throttle for about two days. I changed to a heavy thread down shifter knob(MGW) and all noise went away and never came back. If you use a light knob like a MOMO that uses set screws to hold on to the shaft you will get vibration regardless of the shifter you use and eventually noise. I can also tell you this is the most precise and tight shifter I have ever used and shifting is short, quick and precise. There is no problem shifting into reverse as other aftermarket shifters exhibit. I guess there is no magic bullet for everyone.
Reese, is correct the new Z06 shifters buzz like a bee.:)

ctusser 01-21-2007 06:50 PM

I just pulled my six shooter out of this car b/c of the obnoxious rattle. In my shifter there appears to be play between the shift lever ball and the socket bushings because I can reproduce the rattle by holding the shifter base in my hand and jiggling the lever with the other.

The 17K mile stock shifter is still tight in the ball and bushing fit. I'm going to contact MTI tomorrow, they should test each unit for Quality Assurance before they ship them.

zombywuf 01-21-2007 10:25 PM

I have a Z06 and the Six Shooter. I've never had a a rattle!